Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 1028 - won't drive forward or reverse; auger works great

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kentkildea

Ariens 1028 - won't drive forward or reverse; auger works great
Original Message   Jan 12, 2009 8:41 am
I have an Ariens 1028 that just recently quit moving forward or reverse, although the auger still functions perfectly.  When you hold the left lever and have the unit in gear it actually acts as if you have the breaks on and if you don't hold the lever while in gear you can physical push the unit either forward or back.  The unit is far to bulky to not utilize a drive wheel; any suggestions?
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
borat

Re: Ariens 1028 - won't drive forward or reverse; auger works great
Reply #1   Jan 12, 2009 11:32 am
There's a lot of that problem going around these days.  You're one of many with the same complaint.  Mostly Ariens machines but not exclusively.  I haven't followed the model nos. to see if there's a commonality with a particular model, but I doubt it.   

Does it happen all the time or after being used for a while?

Hard to say what's causing the problem.  Could be a simple adjustment of the drive wheel engagement cable or wet/oily drive disk and wheel.  You'll have to roll up your sleeves to have a look.  Hope it's fairly warm where you are.  Nothing worse than banging cold knuckles on frozen steel. 

Snowmann

Reply #2   Jan 12, 2009 1:46 pm
It's been a while since Ariens made a 1028. What is your model number? I'm thinking you have a different problem than others on this forum.

PK

snowmachine

Reply #3   Jan 12, 2009 2:17 pm
I had this issue on my Craftsman at one point but simple adjustment of drive wheel engagement cable fixed it.
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #4   Jan 12, 2009 3:10 pm
Search the posts here for "Redesigned chain tensioner".   I too had the same problem...the damn chain is too long and gets caught on the bottom cross member.  If you don't shorten the chain, you can add a third pulley to take up the slack.

bbwb

nibbler

Reply #5   Jan 12, 2009 4:57 pm
Given the following symptoms:
  1. You can push the unit when the traction clutch is disengaged and can't when it is engaged;
  2. You didn't mention any noise or smoke when engaging the traction clutch..
I suspect:
  1. The friction disk is working OK;
  2. The engine is disconnected from the traction system and either the pulley on the engine shaft  is spinning freely or the belt is broken
  3. The traction transmission is locked up between the friction disk and the traction pulley.
If the traction system was locked closer to the wheels then the traction clutch wouldn't have any affect. If the traction transmission isn't locked up then there is enough friction in the system to stop you from pushing the unit even though the engine is disconnected due to item 2 just above.
This message was modified Jan 12, 2009 by nibbler
pvrp

Reply #6   Jan 12, 2009 11:29 pm
bbwb wrote:
Search the posts here for "Redesigned chain tensioner".   I too had the same problem...the damn chain is too long and gets caught on the bottom cross member.  If you don't shorten the chain, you can add a third pulley to take up the slack.

I don't need them, but your pictures in that thread are gone.

Paul
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42