Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro out of snow thrower business?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

Toro out of snow thrower business?
Original Message   Jan 10, 2009 9:29 pm
I heard from a store clerk that it was announced that Toro was out of the snow thrower business.  So many times rumors are just that.  Anyone else here this same information?
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
RenegadeX

Re: Toro out of snow thrower business?
Reply #4   Jan 12, 2009 4:13 am
My bet is that either you or the store clerk is either or both: a) misinformed, and b) confused.

Toro had increased demand for snowblowers last winter and did this winter too (selling out of most models where I live by mid-to-late October), so if there's one product segment they're not likely to dump, it's this one!

The guy at the store likely heard that:
1) Tecumseh (engine manufacturer) has closed down their engine manufacturing plant (true)
2) Toro (and other manufacturers such as Ariens) were caught out with an engine shortage due to #1, and were left scrambling to produce enough units to meet demand. Due to engine shortages, many models sold out for the season early. (also true).

It remains to be said what engine manufacturer(s) Toro will use next year (and in their lawn equipment this spring/summer). But they have an existing relationship with Briggs & Stratton and I'm sure Briggs & Stratton isn't going to complain if Toro wants to use them exclusively (or for the bulk of Toro's needs).
This message was modified Jan 12, 2009 by RenegadeX
borat

Reply #5   Jan 12, 2009 11:25 am
Let's hope that they go with B&S.  Otherwise, we all know what the likely alternative will be. 
Clay

Reply #6   Jan 12, 2009 1:15 pm
OK, I'll admit when I am wrong.  I called the store clerk that told me what I thought that he told me and asked him to say that again in so many words.  First, he wasn't even talking about Toro but rather Troy Built.  Second, he didn't say that they were going out of the business but rather that they were done building snow thrower for just this season.  I don't know how I screwed that up so badly, must be all of those years listening to my wife and blocking out portions of what she tells me.  Again, sorry,

Rick

aa335

Reply #7   Jan 12, 2009 1:20 pm
Clay wrote:
OK, I'll admit when I am wrong.  I called the store clerk that told me what I thought that he told me and asked him to say that again in so many words.  First, he wasn't even talking about Toro but rather Troy Built.  Second, he didn't say that they were going out of the business but rather that they were done building snow thrower for just this season.  I don't know how I screwed that up so badly, must be all of those years listening to my wife and blocking out portions of what she tells me.  Again, sorry,

Rick

This message was modified Jan 22, 2009 by aa335
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42