Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Complete novice...what to buy?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dancurry

Complete novice...what to buy?
Original Message   Dec 20, 2008 1:57 pm
About to buy a two-stage snowblower. Fairly large driveway with large open space as it turns into bays. One-stage Ariens not cutting it. Might buy the Toro 826LE for about $1,299 but wondering if there's something better in that price range. Ariens? Another brand?
Replies: 26 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
dancurry

Re: Complete novice...what to buy?
Reply #26   Jan 10, 2009 11:14 pm

Here is a picture of my finished driveway after first use of Snapper L1428E.  About six inches total with two snowfalls.

This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by dancurry
borat

Re: Complete novice...what to buy?
Reply #27   Jan 11, 2009 10:39 am
The picture didn't work. 

Four inches of wind blown/packed snow will just whet it's appetite.  I clear a 70' path around the back and side of the house to the area where the gas & water meters are so they can be accessed by the readers.  This area is particularly prone to drifting and packing.   If I get a foot of snow on the driveway, I'll have  two and a and a half at least back there.  This is one of my favourite places to blow snow.   I have the whole back yard to blow it and can use the wind to my advantage.  The Simplicity goes through drifted/packed snow with consistent ease.  The engine changes tempo but rpms don't drop past 3500 to 3550.  It just keeps pumping a solid stream of snow until the job's done.  After a big snow, it's not unusual for the snow thrower to run a good two hours with only brief interruptions of max power demands.  It might not be the best snow thrower out there but I don't see too many on my block (and there's lots of them) that  are out-performing this machine.  Even the guy with the new Honda isn't moving snow like this thing.  I will admit however that his Honda looks a bit small.  Might only be a 7 h.p.   That combined with inexperience might be contributing factors.   

I remember my old Craftsman machine even when it was new, didn't have the overall power, balance and efficiency of this thing.  As it got older, it began to loosen up and you could feel the frame and handle flexing, vibration increased and even though the engine ran well, efficiency fell off considerably.  I suspect that as the machine aged, wear was taking it's toll and the sloppier it got, the more it worked against itself.   I guess only time will tell how weld this machine holds up.  It's on it's second season with about 25 hours on it and it's still running like new. 

A job that I used to do reluctantly has now become fun.  The more snow that falls now, the better.   "Bring it on."  I say!  

Replies: 26 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42