Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Stepped up to the pump today - Ariens 927LE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
daequitz

Stepped up to the pump today - Ariens 927LE
Original Message   Jan 9, 2009 9:11 pm
Well, made the decision; Ariens 927LE. Delivered today. The price was right.  I really like the ergos and balance on this unit, and the axle lock release is very very nice. I wasn't seeing this feature on other blowers in this size and price range (<$1,000). It's a Tecumseh L-Head as opposed to the Briggs that I hear is coming, but I'm an old Harley guy and no stranger to side valve engines. The engine design is obviously older and a little less effecient, but it should last many years if you take care of it. It didn't seem all that loud at full throttle as I've heard, however I plan to wear hearing protection regardless. I've read some opinions on the chute control, however it seems to work out fine for me. I'm 6' with long arms and don't feel at all uncomfortable with cranking the chute around. If may just be me, but the Simiplicity design on their large frame blowers just felt awkard. At any rate, the dealer indicated Ariens plans to fully stand behind their 3 year warranty......... hope not to have to test out that statement.

Let it snow.

This message was modified Jan 9, 2009 by daequitz
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
pvrp

Re: Stepped up to the pump today - Ariens 927LE
Reply #1   Jan 9, 2009 9:24 pm
daequitz wrote:
... It's a Tecumseh L-Head as opposed to the Briggs that I hear is coming, but I'm an old Harley guy and no stranger to side valve engines.

I must admit that the word Harley often crosses my mind when I
fire up my 10hp L-head.  It's the kind of engine I like for hard work.
May you enjoy your new machine.

Paul
This message was modified Jan 9, 2009 by pvrp
mkd55

Reply #2   Jan 10, 2009 1:16 pm
have 2 harleys! a 1998 flsts springer anniversary edition and a 2005 flhtci electraglide classic. also have an 8 hp tecumseh 824 ariens made in 1985 still going strong. change the oil and don't abuse it and yours should last that long too. enjoy!
This message was modified Jan 10, 2009 by mkd55
daequitz

Reply #3   Jan 11, 2009 9:24 am
mkd55 wrote:
have 2 harleys! a 1998 flsts springer anniversary edition and a 2005 flhtci electraglide classic. also have an 8 hp tecumseh 824 ariens made in 1985 still going strong. change the oil and don't abuse it and yours should last that long too. enjoy!

Sweet. My newest is currently a '65 FL Electraglide. I'd like to get a newer model to road trip again now that I'm living in a more scenic part of the country.

Had the chance to blow a little snow around this morning. Not much, but enough to realize I sure like the differential lock/unlock feature on this 927LE unit.

This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by daequitz
daequitz

Reply #4   Jan 11, 2009 10:43 am
pvrp wrote:

I must admit that the word Harley often crosses my mind when I
fire up my 10hp L-head.  It's the kind of engine I like for hard work.
May you enjoy your new machine.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

borat

Reply #5   Jan 11, 2009 10:52 am
Here's one of my Harleys.  A fully restored & hopped up 1976 Yamaha RD400.  Estimated 60 h.p. and weighs 316 lbs. 

For a 33 year old bike, it's astonishingly quick and handles like it's on rails.   I've got a '74  RD350 that I'm presently building.  It should be the same power but will only weigh 270 lbs. 

I prefer light, powerful, good handling vintage bikes.  Thes old RDs fill the bill.  They were famous for their handling and performance when they were introduced in the early '70s.

JeffM

Reply #6   Jan 11, 2009 6:28 pm
Borat, that is a gorgeous Yamaha.  I know what you mean about their quickness, as I've ridden many of 'em.  My first bike was a '71, and they got a lot quicker after that--I rode a '74, I believe it was, and I just couldn't believe how quick it was.  Lots of fun.  Things change as one ages, though....now I ride a '98 Gold Wing, cough cough. 
borat

Reply #7   Jan 11, 2009 7:06 pm
JeffM wrote:
Borat, that is a gorgeous Yamaha.  I know what you mean about their quickness, as I've ridden many of 'em.  My first bike was a '71, and they got a lot quicker after that--I rode a '74, I believe it was, and I just couldn't believe how quick it was.  Lots of fun.  Things change as one ages, though....now I ride a '98 Gold Wing, cough cough. 

Thanks for the compliment.  Took me seven month and a lot of money to get it that way, but to me it is worth every cent and hour I put into it.   It is such a blast to ride.  Even at my age, I still like an adrenaline rush.  As you are probably aware, those old machines had a light switch power band.  The 350s were worse than the 400.   With the engine mods I've done to the 400, I get a wider power band with a real wicked kick in the a$$ at 6000 rpm.  It pulls like a freight train all the way to 10,000.  That's where I have the rev limiter set.  (I put in state of the art electronics which allows me to set my ignition curves and numerous other features.)  It's incredibly steady at speed if the rider isn't twitchy.   My wife has been ragging on me for buying/fixing these old rice rockets.  She wants us to get something more sedate for cruising.  The only cruiser I'll buy is a Valkyrie.  A yellow one at that. 

I have a 1974 RD350 in the basement now getting the treatment.   Pics to follow in a couple months. 

If you thought the old machines were quick, imagine the same bike, thirty pounds lighter with 50% more power.  That's what the RD400 pictured above is estimated at. 

This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by borat
pvrp

Reply #8   Jan 11, 2009 10:29 pm
borat wrote:
Here's one of my Harleys.  A fully restored & hopped up 1976 Yamaha RD400.  Estimated 60 h.p. and weighs 316 lbs.

Yeah, but I wouldn't clear my driveway with that   

Paul
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42