Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1130 SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

John Deere 1130 SE
Original Message   Jan 7, 2009 1:07 pm
I did a search and found a few references to this machine but no answers.  Any one have one of these?  15.5 snow max engine, heated hand grips, 30" wide.  I can't find a listing for auger diameter or impeller diameter.  I called John Deere and the guy that was suppose to be the snow thrower expert didn't know either. 

What is the Easy Steer drive system?  The literature says: 

• Easy Steer® drive system giving continuous power to both wheels and auto speed adjustment
  • Is it similar to the Ariens auto differential? 

I've heard that the units are built by B&S which translates to Simplicity.  They do have cast iron gear cases like the Simplicity.  The chute control is different than the simplicity and so is the turning method so they are not exactly the same.  I'm trying to compare the Simplicity L1530E to the JD 1130SE.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Replies: 10 - 19 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Clay

Re: John Deere 1130 SE
    Reply #10   Jan 7, 2009 10:45 pm
    pvrp wrote:
    That certainly looks to me like it could be a differential.  This
    would be interesting since Simplicty doesn't offer one to my
    knowledge.

You can buy a engine block heater as an accesory.  First time
    I've heard of that on a snowblower.

You know Clay, I think you've found the perfect strategy.  If you
    keep it up you'll have had a different machine for every storm
    and all you'll have to do is return the last one and the winter
    won't have cost you anything

Paul

I'm driving my wife crazy.  I have never returned this much stuff in my whole life and this is not standard operating proceedure.  My old snow thrower  lasted 21  years and I didn't want something that wouldn't be around.  Truth is for under a grand that Craftsman 14.5 is still a heck of a machine.  This was 50% more than the first one.  The problem is that each machine has become more expensive.  The first one was around a grand, the second one $1200 and the third one $1500 after tax.  By the way Lowes does have a 30 day return policy and if this thing treats me like crap or I have 3 service calls in 3 weeks you don't even have to guess where it will end up.  So yes, I will take all of the ribbing anyone wants to give me.  I have had a very unique selection process but I don't recomend it to anyone else.  The first unit I bought out of state, but was able to return it locally, the second unit was bought out of state and returned out of state and the third unit was bought about 30 miles away.  Luckily gas prices have been down too.  The first unit I did an oil change with synthetic oil and lubed up the wheels with grease etc.  While it might sound fun to some, this has been a royal pain in the rear.  I just want a machine that works and I can get parts for after the warranty ends.  Is that really too much to ask for $1500 of my money?  If I wasn't going through this myself and I was reading my threads, I would be laughing my rear off at me, so I don't mind the friendly poke in the ribs.  I probably deserve it.

I did turn on the heated grips and they made me smile tonight.  More to follow after we get some snow and I can play with it for real.

pvrp

Reply #11   Jan 7, 2009 11:00 pm
    So how does it turn ?    

Paul
    Clay

Reply #12   Jan 7, 2009 11:47 pm
    pvrp wrote:
    So how does it turn ?    

Paul

I'm very happy with how it turns and I don't have to pull a lever.  I was also very happy with pulling a lever on the Craftsman 14.5, which turned with power to one wheel and it let you choose which wheel had the power unlike the Simplicity which always releases power to the left wheel so that the right wheel is under power.  In other words with the JD, you can turn to your left or to your right with similiar ease.  I like it. 

Truth is that it is still too new to tell.  Give me a couple of 8 to 12" snow falls and I can write a better review with very realistic thoughts.  I don't want to say it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, because I really haven't even used it in the snow yet, just running it up and down the side walk.  I'm looking at taking that B&S snow max with 15.5 pounds of torque and 342cc and seeing what it will do with a heavy snow and lots of it.  Proof will be in the pudding as they say.  Until then, I have a positive outlook with a sense of reality as well.  I just like that the local service place told me that they can turn around most jobs in 2 to 3 days if the part is on hand and if not about a week with parts shipping.  When it takes 3 weeks minimum to get your machine looked at, I don't call that much of a warranty. 

Price is good and construction looks impressive and I have local service.  I'm betting on all of that being a winning combo.

Clay

Reply #13   Jan 9, 2009 12:28 pm
    About 8" of snow fell between last night and this morning which gave me a chance to run this unit for real for the first time.  The engine was powerful and quiet.  I was concerned or had questions about two areas.  One was the chute control since it was not a quick move kind of chute control and was a worm gear instead, the second was how the unit turns.  The chute control was both smooth and worked fine and I feel that it will be more durable in the long run than some of the quick turning mechanism that I have seen up close and personal lately.  The turning was a pleasant surprise and turned as easily as the Ariens 1130 DLE that I had the opportunity to try.  The heated handgrips along with the snow cab made it a pleasant stroll in the park to do the work this morning.  I was having so much fun playing with the new toy that I did 5 houses next to me.  Just couldn't stop blowing snow.  Hopefully the neighbors will be happy.  The next door lady already brought me over cookies and some home made Kahlua coffee liquor.  Life is good in Wisconsin with the John Deere.

One interesting thing happened when I was removing snow from the driveway and parked the car in the street.  Two plows came by in tandem, one right after the other and plowed in the car in the street.  This would have taken hours in the old days with the 5 horse.  I walked right through that stuff and the engine was so powerful I blew the snow from the center of the street, over the car and into my front yard.  The job was done in minutes.  Very happy with the 15.5 torque rated snow max engine. 

Rick

borat

Reply #14   Jan 9, 2009 1:09 pm
    If your JD is the same as my Simplicity 9528 for build quality, you will see that the impeller has very close tolerance to the impeller housing.  I looked at mine and it looked to be about 1/16" of an inch.  That in itself will promote good snow ejection.   Your engine is the 305cc right.  if it is, it's the same thing I have.  I like the way it gets on the torque when you put a load on it.  I like to watch my electronic tach when the machine is put under heavy load.  It will go from 3600+ down to 3550 or 3500 hundred rpm and just keep chewing.  I was never a big fan of B&S nor Tecumseh before buying this machine.  I always respected the old Tecumseh's for their durability but never felt it was in the league of the Japanese brands.  I never had much experience with B&S engines because I'd buy equipment with Japanese engines to avoid them.  This new B&S has changed my views somewhat.  I now view the brand  with a little higher level of respect than I had in the past.   If it holds up as well as my Japanese engines, it will garner full respect. 
    MacLorry27

Reply #15   Jan 9, 2009 1:52 pm

According to the Briggs & Stratton web site, the Snow Max 16.5 and 15.5 torque engines are 342cc. The 14.5 and 13.5 torque engines are 305cc. My JD 928 uses the 305cc 13.5 lbs torque Snow series engine.

Paul7

Reply #16   Jan 9, 2009 2:36 pm
    Clay wrote:
    I'm driving my wife crazy.  I have never returned this much stuff in my whole life and this is not standard operating proceedure.  My old snow thrower  lasted 21  years and I didn't want something that wouldn't be around.  Truth is for under a grand that Craftsman 14.5 is still a heck of a machine.  This was 50% more than the first one.  The problem is that each machine has become more expensive.  The first one was around a grand, the second one $1200 and the third one $1500 after tax.  By the way Lowes does have a 30 day return policy and if this thing treats me like crap or I have 3 service calls in 3 weeks you don't even have to guess where it will end up.  So yes, I will take all of the ribbing anyone wants to give me.  I have had a very unique selection process but I don't recomend it to anyone else.  The first unit I bought out of state, but was able to return it locally, the second unit was bought out of state and returned out of state and the third unit was bought about 30 miles away.  Luckily gas prices have been down too.  The first unit I did an oil change with synthetic oil and lubed up the wheels with grease etc.  While it might sound fun to some, this has been a royal pain in the rear.  I just want a machine that works and I can get parts for after the warranty ends.  Is that really too much to ask for $1500 of my money?  If I wasn't going through this myself and I was reading my threads, I would be laughing my rear off at me, so I don't mind the friendly poke in the ribs.  I probably deserve it.

I did turn on the heated grips and they made me smile tonight.  More to follow after we get some snow and I can play with it for real.

Clay, I for one will not poke fun at you.  You just want to make sure you get what you want for the money. 

I, on the other hand am truly messed up.  I have an unhealthy infatuation with outdoor power equipment.   When I got married I was young and so broke I couldn’t even afford to buy a lawnmower...had to borrow one from neighbors.  I lived in an area that got lots of lake effect snow and had to shovel a long double wide driveway because I couldn’t afford a snow thrower.  And I had a big garden that I had to till by hand.  I used to say that someday I’m going to be able to afford power equipment.

Well its years later and I made my money.  Now I have a big 2 stage 11.5hp Ariens snow thrower...and I just bought a 7hp Ariens single stage blower for lighter snows.  What’s messed up is that I have a small driveway and I now live in an area that rarely gets snow.  We’ve only had two plow-able snowfalls in the last 4 years.  But if a storm like the Nor’easter of 1996 ever comes through again. I’m READY. 

To make matters worst I have a John Deere rider, a Snapper Ninja SP mulching mower and three Ariens SP walk behind mowers (one is a commercial Ariens) all to mow a yard about the size of a postage stamp.  And to top off the insanity I have 4 tillers...a Troy-bilt, a Sanpper rear tine, an Ariens front tine, and an Earthquake mini tiller...all ready to go in case I actually decide to put a small garden in someday. 

So yeah...I know it’s twisted...but my local outdoor power equipment dealers love me.
    Clay

Reply #17   Jan 9, 2009 4:44 pm
    Paul, my wife doesn't even want me to talk to you.  You have it bad man, I LIKE IT! 

Borat, McLory has it right in that the 15.5 is a 342cc engine. 

embury

Reply #18   Jan 11, 2009 9:03 pm
    Has anyone had problems with their units losing forward or reverse drive?   I Purchased one from Lowes (Model 1130SE).  Within ten minutes of first using it in 10 Inches of light powdery snow, the unit would no longer move forward.    I promptly returned it to Lowes.   They did not have another unit, so I stopped by one of our small local Deere dealers.   I spoke to their service tech who said some of the units in our area were shipped without the correct  belt cover shield that mounts on the  engine.  OK,  that sounded logical.  So I decided to purchase another 1130 from the local dealer who installed the shield before the machine was delivered.    I used my new 1130 today, and It has the same drive problem as the first one.  Any time the chute is aimed to the right snow accumulates on the belt cover and frame.  After about 5 minutes both forward and reverse drive fails.   I believe there is a major design problem with the 1130 SE.   It will be interesting to see what B&S and John Deere will do to rectify this problem.
    pvrp

Reply #19   Jan 11, 2009 10:24 pm
    embury wrote:
    Has anyone had problems with their units losing forward or reverse drive?

Looks like there's some sort of plague hitting snowblowers this year.

You're probably not in the mood to hear someone talk about this lightly
    but there's sort of a club forming here made up of owners who have
    lost partial or total drive to their new machines.  There are various
    suggestions to solve the problem.  Mine is to take the machine indoors
    to a heated place and let it dry thoroughly then perform all adjustments
    in your user's manual before trying again.  Do the work yourself so you
    can be sure it was done properly.

Paul
    Replies: 10 - 19 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42