Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Manufacturers have lost the meaning of “Professional Grade”.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Paul7

Original Message   Jan 3, 2009 4:21 pm

I think that the marketing folks have completely diluted the meaning of Professional/Commercial grade.  A few years ago it meant something.  Four years ago I purchased two Ariens 21 inch walk behind lawn mowers.  One was their standard consumer duty machine and the other was commercial duty.  There are MAJOR differences between the two. 

The consumer model came with a 6hp Intek engine and weighs around 110 lbs.  The commercial model came with a 6hp Robins chain driven OHC engine that as smooth as butter. This machine weighs 130 lbs. Where ever a plastic part was used on the consumer machine a steel part was used on the commercial model.  And where steel was used on the standard model, heavier gauge steel was used on the commercial one.  The list goes on...Friction drive vs heavy duty gear drive; spin off oil filter...etc.

I’m troubled when I see Simplicity market their “Pro Commercial” line of Snow Throwers. (Yeah...they use both words).  Their 28” Pro Commercial machine weigh exactly the same as their 28” non-Pro consumer machine.  The only difference I can see is channel handlebars and Power Boost...which is a feature, not a beefed up design.

My 2006 Ariens 11528LE non-Pro machine weighs 289lbs while the 2006 Pro model 11528 weighs 293...virtually the same. 

Maybe I’m delusional but I think that for the premium charged for a Pro/Commercial machine it should be built noticeably beefier than consumer models and with appropriate maintenance work all day long, seven days a week without a hiccup.

Now I’m seeing the term “Prosumer” being used to designate snow thrower grades.  It seems like the marketing folks have even confused themselves.

Replies: 14 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
pgill

Reply #14   Jan 4, 2009 4:17 pm
Tubby wrote:
Well one difference that I have been made painfully aware of is that they *used* to connect the drive disc to the spindle using threads. Now it's pressed on.

But I'm not bitter.........really.........well, maybe just a little.

I hope that won't ever be an issue for what I will use the machine for.  However, if someone ever wanted to it seems like it wouldn't take much to either replace it with an older shaft and disk with threads.  Perhaps not much has changed in the design, and it will still accept the older parts.  Either way it shouldn't be hard to machine the new style shaft and disk to accept a key, which should be just as good as the older threads.

borat

Reply #15   Jan 4, 2009 7:21 pm
pgill wrote:
I hope that won't ever be an issue for what I will use the machine for.  However, if someone ever wanted to it seems like it wouldn't take much to either replace it with an older shaft and disk with threads.  Perhaps not much has changed in the design, and it will still accept the older parts.  Either way it shouldn't be hard to machine the new style shaft and disk to accept a key, which should be just as good as the older threads.

Being that your machine in brand new, I'd be talking to the dealer to let him know that you're aware of that component failure and would like to know if the better piece used on a large frame machines can be put on yours.   I'd want a machine that won't cause me problems.  I don't want to wait for it to happen then deal with it.   Unless the piece that let go on Tubby's machine was a one off defect and the others are good, I'd be willing to let it go.  If it's been reported that it's a common failure point.  I'd be demanding a fix now.  Not after it breaks.
Replies: 14 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42