Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 928E Easy to turn or not?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ettidura

John Deere 928E Easy to turn or not?
Original Message   Jan 3, 2009 10:20 pm
Buying a John Deere 928E, but I am concerned that it won't be easy to turn. On their website it states "Knob style wheel differential system", what exactly is that? Their other higher end models have "Easy Steer" and "Quick turn". Whats better? Should I look to Toro, Simplicity/Snapper instead? Which one is easiest to turn in the same class as 928e?

Link on their site for the 928E:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/com.deere.u90785.cce.productcatalog.view.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=LP1695441&tM=HO

Thx.
Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Ozz0830

Re: John Deere 928E Easy to turn or not?
Reply #11   Jan 4, 2009 9:27 am
I also own the 928E, and had the same concerns when I purchased mine.(My first snowblower)  The John Deere dealership didn't have the next model up (1130), although Lowe's did.  I talked to the John Deere person (who also does all the service on the Lowe's machines), and he seemed to think it wasn't that big a deal.  I was of the mind at first, that if I'm going to shell out THAT kind of money, the thing ought to go do my driveway and sidewalks all by itself.  At the very LEAST I wanted it easy to turn.  But, in the end, I went with the 928.  The first snowfall had me out experimenting, and it really isn't bad at all.  I didn't like the idea of bending over and popping out the knob every time I wanted to turn around, (and there IS a trick to that....) but with snow on the ground, the thing really isn't that hard to turn around.  As Ozzie said, just push the handles down and "muscle" it.

Where easy steer would help me is on my front walk which isn't straight, but curved. 

I've used the machine 3 times as of now, and after having a couple of issues (that were cleared up with some help from this forum), I have been very happy with the purchase.

Hope that helps.
ettidura

Reply #12   Jan 4, 2009 9:34 am
Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated.  I am purchasing this so that it maybe used by someone who  is 60+ years old, so that was the reason why.  I may cancel my order, but I am still debating it.
MacLorry27

Reply #13   Jan 4, 2009 10:22 am

I also have the John Deere 928e, which is made by Simplicity and is similar to their large frame model L1428. Even with the 928’s 255 pound weight I have had no trouble maneuvering it so far. The operator has lots of leverage and it’s not hard to make it go where you want it. That said, if someone is worried about it, but needs the capability of something the size of the 928, then by all means go with the Simplicity L1428, if you can find one.

Paul7

Reply #14   Jan 4, 2009 1:50 pm
Well at 260lbs I'm not a little guy.  I have the size and weight to move a snowblower around. 
But I do appreciate the remote wheel lock/unlock trigger on my Ariens.
Especially at the end of a long day when the old back muscles are starting to tighten up.
ljacobsen

Reply #15   Jan 11, 2009 3:54 pm
I just bought this machine for my husband and he is not happy with the turning at all. By the time he reached the end of the driveway his back is killing him and oh by the way its two weeks old and already stops in the middle of use. No apparent reason and Lowes won't take it back. Do this sound familair to anyone?
borat

Reply #16   Jan 11, 2009 5:22 pm
ljacobsen wrote:
I just bought this machine for my husband and he is not happy with the turning at all. By the time he reached the end of the driveway his back is killing him and oh by the way its two weeks old and already stops in the middle of use. No apparent reason and Lowes won't take it back. Do this sound familair to anyone?

If the machine is causing problems running in a straight line, it is either out of adjustment or you have a very lumpy driveway and the machine has to be set up to deal with it.  What kind of surface does the driveway have?  Try loosening the fuel cap when it begins to stall.  Sounds like the air vent in the fuel cap might be blocked.   If it is, take it off and disassemble to see what might be causing the blockage.  

Buying from the box stores is not a recommended practice it the purchaser has little or no mechanical skill.  A minor glitch will stop the unexperienced in their tracks.  People with little or no mechanical understanding are better off paying a few bucks more and buying a machine from a dealer.   It's not as though you won't be taking your chances there either.  Generally, if you talk to people who own outdoor power equipment, you'll find out which dealers to avoid.   It doesn't hurt to know someone who's handy with wrenches either.  A cup of coffee and a piece of pie (cherry, preferably) can save you a trip to the repair shop.  I held a machine ransom once for a second piece.  Yeah, I know that's kind of low, but hey, I was shooting for the whole thing!

This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by borat
Clay

Reply #17   Jan 11, 2009 5:57 pm
Why won't Lowes take it back.  They have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.  Tell them that you are not Satisfied with the product.  If that doesn't work, start working up the ladder, go to the store manager, if not there go to the regional manager, write corporate, make some waves girl!

Now, if you damaged the machine somehow that was a user caused issue, that is another reason.  You can't run it over with a Mack truck and expect a refund, but if you aren't happy with it for any reason, take it back.

This is from their web site:  "
Returns and Refunds Policy

Our ultimate goal is for you to be completely satisfied with your purchase from Lowe's. If you receive an item you are dissatisfied with, you may return it within ninety (90) days** to any Lowe's store for a refund or exchange within our current return policy guidelines. For additional assistance, visit your local Lowe's store or you may call toll-free 1-800-890-5932 and one of our customer service representatives will be glad to recommend alternative return options that may be available. Information contained on the invoice will be necessary to process the return or refund. Please have the invoice ready when you call. After the return period**, products will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty as applicable.

**30 days for Outdoor Power Equipment
(mowers, chainsaws, blowers, tillers, trimmers and pressure washers)"

The above came from this link, print it out and take it with you when you return the machine:  http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pg&p=CustServ/custsvc_oo_returns

Don't take no for answer, you could always get radical and print picket signs that says that Lowes doesn't back it's satisfaction guarantee and picket the store on the public sidewalk.  You should be able to get this resoved before it gets to this point.  Start calling the store and asking for regional manager's name, marketing managers names etc. 

So tell us why they think that you can't return it?

By the way, the 928 does NOT have the easy turn feature but the 1130SE does.  I own the 1130 SE and am very happy with it.  Turns like a charm, bigger engine, wider clearing path, heated grips all for only $200 more.  Maybe you could trade up, but if you are totally upset with Lowes, it's time to move on.  I had a very good experience with the local Lowes and am totally happy with my experience there. 

Rick

This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by Clay
tscanlon

Reply #18   Jan 14, 2009 9:15 am
To ettidura

To answer your question: "Also, does anyone carry Simplicity online...I am in MA and they appear to be sold out everywhere."

I just bought a Simplicity L1530E from ASC Power Equipment in Methuen (978) 682-5770 and after selling me mine (I get delivery tonight) they had 3 of those machines left.

Additionally, as of yesterday he had one L1428E.

Don't know of his other stock as I was only looking in their Large Frame category.

I have dealt with these guys before but only for parts for my Ariens mower.

Tom

nibbler

Knob Style Differential
Reply #19   Jan 14, 2009 9:45 am
I had a look at the link the OP supplied. There doesn't seem to be any description of what they mean by the phrase "knob style differential". From the discussion on this thread I get the feeling that the unit is a axle mounted pin lock system that has a knob on it. If so then this is NOT a DIFFERENTIAL.

A differential is more than just releasing a wheel so that it can free wheel. Its basic purpose is to allow two or more wheels to go around a turn and have power and speed properly allocated to the wheels. The wheel on the inside of the turn turns at a lower RPM than the wheel on the outside of the turn. Its mechanically more complicated and much more sophisticated than letting a wheel run free. A limited slip differential alleviates the problem that occurs when one of the wheels start to slip on ice or in mud. With a normal differential the slipping wheel gets all the power and you are stuck. With a limited slip differential all the driven wheels are guaranteed to get some of the power and hence you are less likely to get stuck. This is normally in the context of vehicles, the only snow blowers that I know of that currently have differentials are ones manufactured by Ariens. If I remember correctly John Deere did hire Ariens to manufacture snow blowers at one point and I think some ( or all, I'm not sure) had differrentials. I'm wondering about the current crop of John Deere units.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the John Deer 928E has a true differential?
This message was modified Jan 14, 2009 by nibbler
Clay

Re: Knob Style Differential
Reply #20   Jan 17, 2009 12:10 pm
nibbler wrote:
I had a look at the link the OP supplied. There doesn't seem to be any description of what they mean by the phrase "knob style differential". From the discussion on this thread I get the feeling that the unit is a axle mounted pin lock system that has a knob on it. If so then this is NOT a DIFFERENTIAL.

A differential is more than just releasing a wheel so that it can free wheel. Its basic purpose is to allow two or more wheels to go around a turn and have power and speed properly allocated to the wheels. The wheel on the inside of the turn turns at a lower RPM than the wheel on the outside of the turn. Its mechanically more complicated and much more sophisticated than letting a wheel run free. A limited slip differential alleviates the problem that occurs when one of the wheels start to slip on ice or in mud. With a normal differential the slipping wheel gets all the power and you are stuck. With a limited slip differential all the driven wheels are guaranteed to get some of the power and hence you are less likely to get stuck. This is normally in the context of vehicles, the only snow blowers that I know of that currently have differentials are ones manufactured by Ariens. If I remember correctly John Deere did hire Ariens to manufacture snow blowers at one point and I think some ( or all, I'm not sure) had differrentials. I'm wondering about the current crop of John Deere units.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the John Deer 928E has a true differential?

The 928 does not have the easy turn feature.  I was not able to contact John Deere to get a good explaination on the "true differential" question:  They did return my call but I wasn't available when they did and I haven't called them back yet.  Here is a pdf file that shows a nice picture of the 1130's Easy turn feature. 

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/media/pdfs/jd_snowthrowers_brochure_eng.pdf

The 1130 is the only one in their line that offers the Easy turn and it is again not on the 928E:  Here is the JD website where it gives specs on both units:  http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/com.deere.u90785.cce.productcatalog.view.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=LP1695442&tM=HO

Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42