Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Manufacturers have lost the meaning of “Professional Grade”.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Paul7

Original Message   Jan 3, 2009 4:21 pm

I think that the marketing folks have completely diluted the meaning of Professional/Commercial grade.  A few years ago it meant something.  Four years ago I purchased two Ariens 21 inch walk behind lawn mowers.  One was their standard consumer duty machine and the other was commercial duty.  There are MAJOR differences between the two. 

The consumer model came with a 6hp Intek engine and weighs around 110 lbs.  The commercial model came with a 6hp Robins chain driven OHC engine that as smooth as butter. This machine weighs 130 lbs. Where ever a plastic part was used on the consumer machine a steel part was used on the commercial model.  And where steel was used on the standard model, heavier gauge steel was used on the commercial one.  The list goes on...Friction drive vs heavy duty gear drive; spin off oil filter...etc.

I’m troubled when I see Simplicity market their “Pro Commercial” line of Snow Throwers. (Yeah...they use both words).  Their 28” Pro Commercial machine weigh exactly the same as their 28” non-Pro consumer machine.  The only difference I can see is channel handlebars and Power Boost...which is a feature, not a beefed up design.

My 2006 Ariens 11528LE non-Pro machine weighs 289lbs while the 2006 Pro model 11528 weighs 293...virtually the same. 

Maybe I’m delusional but I think that for the premium charged for a Pro/Commercial machine it should be built noticeably beefier than consumer models and with appropriate maintenance work all day long, seven days a week without a hiccup.

Now I’m seeing the term “Prosumer” being used to designate snow thrower grades.  It seems like the marketing folks have even confused themselves.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 15NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Reply #1   Jan 3, 2009 5:13 pm
I agree that watering down the build quality of commercial machines is misleading.  Particularly in the case of Simplicity putting cheap press fit components in critical application areas of their flag ship line of snow throwers.   It's a dumb thing to do just to save a few bucks.  When I see that stuff starting to happen,  it erodes my confidence in their commitment to quality.  It makes me wonder if B&S are beginning to influence the construction of Simplicity/Snapper machines to make them cheaper to build and price mark them to compete with the other leading brands that have already gone that route. 

I don't particularly agree with the "heavier is better" line of thinking.  I'd buy a 150 lb. machine made out of pure titanium rather than a 300 machine built out of mild steel.  The quality of the steel means more than it's weight.  A good chromoly steel will be far more durable and lighter than a piece of mild steel of twice the thickness.  My 30+ year old Yamahas have chromoly frames.  I drilled a small hole through one of the thin frame gussets to attach a new coil component.  I used a titanium drill and it was an effort to get a drill bit through it.   These frames are so light that I could easily carry it down into my basement with little difficulty.   Another good example is my Toyota T100 is probably 500 lbs. lighter than my previous Ford Picks up of equivalent size.   I wouldn't trade my old Toyota for five new  Fords or any other North American vehicles for that matter.  In my view, heavier isn't a true reflection of a machine's quality. 

This message was modified Jan 3, 2009 by borat
Paul7

Reply #2   Jan 3, 2009 6:31 pm
It's more than just weight but I think that weight can be an indicator.  On my lawn mowers for example a 14 gauge deck vs a 16 gauge deck.  Thicker, heavier brackets at stress points.  Steel wheels vs plastic wheels.  An engine rated for continuous use.  A more substantial drive system. etc.  All in all the commercial mower was designed with longevity in mind.

My point is that what ever you examine on the two products you see a meaningful difference between the consumer and commercial models.  I think that it's getting harder to see differences between consumer and commercial models these days.
nhmatt

Reply #3   Jan 3, 2009 6:34 pm
As far as I can tell the only difference is the sticker, and a couple of sought-after things that people may have bought a particular model for in the first place.  For Simplicity, its the channel handlebars.  I see very little difference between the Ariens pro and the homo model, save the differential that is usefull if your 5' and weigh 100lbs, otherwise you'll be locking the wheels because it spins out.

An advantage would be the dealer, because the pros are mostly sold at dealerships.   For a professional running a fleet that would be a difference, but I don't think the premium on the machines is worth what they charge for the sticker.

pgill

Reply #4   Jan 3, 2009 6:48 pm
borat wrote:
I agree that watering down the build quality of commercial machines is misleading.  Particularly in the case of Simplicity putting cheap press fit components in critical application areas of their flag ship line of snow throwers.   It's a dumb thing to do just to save a few bucks.  When I see that stuff starting to happen,  it erodes my confidence in their commitment to quality.  It makes me wonder if B&S are beginning to influence the construction of Simplicity/Snapper machines to make them cheaper to build and price mark them to compete with the other leading brands that have already gone that route. 

Out of curiosity, I just bought a Simplicity signature Pro 28" because I felt it was potentially more durable than what the competition has to offer.  Where has this machine been "cheapened up"?
Tubby

Reply #5   Jan 3, 2009 8:35 pm
You're preaching to the choir here.
In my case, the "pro" machine lasted  less than 6 hours!
aa335

Reply #6   Jan 3, 2009 9:33 pm
I find that the "Signature Pro" name is a little over the top.  Let's not be discrete if one was to boast, might as well go with something like "Premium Super Duper Heavy Duty Commercial Mother of All Bad Arse Snowblower" and some flames decals on the side of the bucket.  But besides that, I do find that the "Signature Pro" line is tastefully styled.  :)  Not picking on Simplicity for any specific reason, of course, but I am quite impressed by the Signature Pro steel channel handlebars, even if the rest of the machine was no different from their standard models.

"Commercial grade" badging is eye candy and is quite a profitable idea.  Remember back in the 80's when trunk spoiler and gold badging was all the rage?  Before that was curb feelers and spoked wheels.

This message was modified Jan 3, 2009 by aa335
pvrp

Reply #7   Jan 3, 2009 9:47 pm
I agree that a professional model should be cable of being used all day long
by something like a snow removal company.  Sure the machines in such a
setting require regular and frequent maintenance but they shouldn't break
down with anything major during the season.  If machines are no longer
capable of this, and it looks that way, then we have a real problem.

Paul
This message was modified Jan 4, 2009 by pvrp
pgill

Reply #8   Jan 4, 2009 5:47 am
I would tend to agree that many products have gone downhill in ways as companies search for a better bottom dollar.  I see this in areas like digital cameras, but that is another discussion.  As far as snowblowers go, it seems evident in some models offered in the big box stores.

However, not sure on models like the Simplicity.  The "Pro model"  that I bought this year seems identical to the one I considered buying a number of years ago.  I may be wrong, I haven't kept that up to date on any changes, but I don't see where Simplicity has down graded anything on the machine.  If it was considered "Pro" then, why not now?  Because it has not been significantly updated?  (The only new thing I've noticed is the electric remote chute rotation.)  Is it not as good because there other large frame blowers have improved to a level to near the Pro model? (Really don't know what changes have been made in that line, never looked at them before.)

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #9   Jan 4, 2009 9:25 am
Wonderful thing about the Simplicity brochure is that the units are lined up in columns next to one another and you can see what you are getting for the price differential.

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Tubby

Reply #10   Jan 4, 2009 9:49 am
pgill wrote:
I would tend to agree that many products have gone downhill in ways as companies search for a better bottom dollar.  I see this in areas like digital cameras, but that is another discussion.  As far as snowblowers go, it seems evident in some models offered in the big box stores.

However, not sure on models like the Simplicity.  The "Pro model"  that I bought this year seems identical to the one I considered buying a number of years ago.  I may be wrong, I haven't kept that up to date on any changes, but I don't see where Simplicity has down graded anything on the machine.  If it was considered "Pro" then, why not now?  Because it has not been significantly updated?  (The only new thing I've noticed is the electric remote chute rotation.)  Is it not as good because there other large frame blowers have improved to a level to near the Pro model? (Really don't know what changes have been made in that line, never looked at them before.)

Well one difference that I have been made painfully aware of is that they *used* to connect the drive disc to the spindle using threads. Now it's pressed on.

But I'm not bitter.........really.........well, maybe just a little.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 15NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42