Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New guy question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
brake4beaver

New guy question
Original Message   Dec 31, 2008 10:56 pm
Hi everyone. I stumbled on this site a few days ago and I love it.  It's great to read real, honest assessments about new machines. After years of back pain the doctor told me I have a couple of crushed discs and arthritis in my back. So shoveling snow is getting to be less of an option for me. After reading this great site I am sold on Simplicity, but I am wondering about durability between the Large frame and Professional models. I don't have much of a driveway right now, but I don't want to have to trade up when that changes in a few years. I have ruled out Honda, they are too expensive and parts are absurd. I also want to buy from an American company if I can. My area gets an average of 80 inches of (usually) heavy wet snow a year. I am leaning towards the L1428E, or actually its John Deere cousin, the 928E, since the JD is $250 cheaper, and the dealer is only 30 miles away, vs 65 miles for the nearest Simplicity dealer. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.
Replies: 13 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
borat

Re: New guy question
Reply #13   Jan 1, 2009 2:13 pm
Of course the dealer has last say regarding how much to charge for a part.  However, peer pressure might be an issue if there is more than one dealer of the same product in a given town/city etc.  If dealer A sells a twenty five cent part for $7.00,  dealer B is expected to do the same otherwise, he'll be criticized by the other dealers for not maintaining the ridiculously high prices.  The greedy dealers will contact the mother ship to inform on the dealer with the lower price.  The fair dealer will then suffer the consequences if he doesn't fall in line.  It's basically price fixing.   In a town where there is only one dealer of a particular product (as with the local Toro dealer) he should have no concerns regarding giving customers a break.  There's no competing dealers to complain or rat him out.   It takes a dealer with a sense of dignity and fairness to his customers to lower the prices.  He must also have the b-alls to stand up to the supplier to defend his practice of discounting parts prices.  After all, if a dealer can maintain a successful dealership and give the customer a break, more power to him.  If the gougers need to charge top dollar to stay in business, maybe there's a lesson to be learned on how to do it more efficiently, or possibly not be as greedy.   
This message was modified Jan 1, 2009 by borat
Paul7

Reply #14   Jan 1, 2009 10:55 pm
Well then that explains it Borat.  To say that I live in Ariens country would be an understatement.  Ariens dealerships are everywhere!  If you drive 3 miles in any direction you'll pass an Ariens dealer.  Heck, one of the largest John Deere dealership in the country is in my town and even they carry Ariens snow throwers.
borat

Reply #15   Jan 2, 2009 10:29 am
Any bolt or fastener, specialized or otherwise can be had from sources other than a dealer for a fraction of the cost.  It might take a bit of hunting to find one but you can rest assured it's out there.  If people were to get a little more familiar with businesses that specialize in fasteners, bearings, drive belts, filters etc. they'd save a bundle.  I use them at every opportunity.    Dealerships are my absolute last source.  I'll make a part if I can to avoid a dealership.  And there is no way I'd bring my machine to a dealer for service.  That's like playing Russian roulette with five bullets in the gun.   
Replies: 13 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42