Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2 snow throwers, ONE has to be returned?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

2 snow throwers, ONE has to be returned?
Original Message   Dec 28, 2008 2:43 pm
Through a strange series of events and getting upset with Sears service department I have two snow throwers in the garage.  I'm not going to rehash all the issues, but the last service call Sears said it would take two weeks before they even came out and I bought another machine and planned on taking back the Craftsman unit.  Now that I have both units in the garage I am having a hard time making a decision.  Yes, the Craftsman 14.5 needs service, but most units after they get running usually don't need service all that often.  The other unit is an Ariens 1130 DLE.  Both machines are 30" wide and roughly have an 11 hp engine.   One comment is that the Ariens units are suppose to be so heavily made, but the truth is that this Home Depot sold machine is almost 50 pounds lighter than the Craftsman unit and you can see this is the thickness of the sheet metal.  I have to return the Sears unit by the 30th if I decide to take it back.  I tried to be methodical this morning and I put together this chart.  Would appreciate your comments,  The prices listed include a 5 year warranty that I bought from Sears on the 14.5, but the prices don't include taxes on either unit.

Rick

Craftsman 14.5                 Ariens 1130 DLE

Cost:           $1188         w/ 5 year warranty                 $1199 w/ 3 year warranty                

Service:       One to two weeks                                    2 to 3 days 

Engine:       B&S Snow 305 cc OHV                           Tecumseh L 358 cc, bankrupt

Housing Metal               .10                                           .075

Chute Metal                   .085                                         .050

Weight                           293                                          245

Tires                              16 X 6.5                                   15 X 5

Intake height                    23”                                          21”

Width                              30”                                          30”

Chute rotation               180 degrees                             200 degrees

Steering                         Power steering                         Interlock control

Auto traction control

Impeller                              12”                                          14”

Auger                                 12”                                           14”

Drift cutters                      Standard                                  $30 option

Heavy Extension Cord      Standard                                  $16 option

Replies: 10 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Snowbound

Re: 2 snow throwers, ONE has to be returned?
Reply #10   Dec 31, 2008 11:29 pm
Clay:  Your former Sears machine (14.50 torque Model# 1450, 305cc ) is rated somewhere between 9 & 11 horsepower.  For some marketing reason, Sears does not advertise the hp on your former model.  Your machine replaced the Craftsman 11.5 horsepower model #917.881150 which is 342cc (20.85 cubic inch).  This B & S engine is actually rated at up to 13 horsepower.  I have one and had a horrific time with Sears Service last year!  Sears extended my "extended warranty" for an additional year at no charge as a good will gesture.  My machine now runs extremely well, is highly powerful and starts on the first pull.  (Sounds like a Pratt & Whitney radial) I also have the Classic Cab attached.  Great combination!
Replies: 10 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42