Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Lawnboy Gear Case

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mrhoff35

Lawnboy Gear Case
Original Message   Dec 30, 2008 5:57 pm
I'm replacing a worn worm gear on a 1988 Lawnboy snowthrower Model 55382 ST824. I tore the gear case apart but had a hard time removing the bearings on each side of the worm gear. I finally had to grease the auger shaft and pound on one of the bearings until it slid off. During this process, I nicked up and damaged the bearing. I also had to pound off the worm gear.

Is there a better way to do this? Do the bearings come apart before they are removed? I'm not too worried, at this point, about the removal but definitely concerned if I have to "pound on" the new worm gear and bearing when I put them back on.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
borat

Re: Lawnboy Gear Case
Reply #1   Dec 30, 2008 7:13 pm
Not sure about your particular application but I've worked on pulling and replacing bearings on motorcycle engines and wheels.  Depending on the application the inner or outer race of the bearing fit is intended to be tight to keep the bearing from spinning in or on it's seated location.  That could be a pocket/slot as in an engine crank bearing or on a shaft such as, I'm assuming in your application.  Due to the tight fit requirements, the tolerance between bearing size and shaft size is very, very close.  In your case, if the bearing is to fit tight to the shaft, I suggest you freeze the shaft to as cold a temperature as you possibly can.  Warm the bearing as much as you can safely achieve without damaging the seals or causing the lubrication to run out if it's a sealed bearing.   Get your work station set up ahead of time (vice ready etc.) put the shaft in it and quickly put the bearing on.  Tap it into place as required. 

What shape was the shaft in where you had to hammer down the bearing.  Was it painted or rusted.  Even a coat of paint can cause difficulties to get a bearing off. 

mrhoff35

Reply #2   Dec 30, 2008 7:42 pm
Borat,

Thanks for the reply.

The ends of the shaft where I had to hammer the bearing over had some rust. I assumed this was causing most of my problems. I just wanted to verify that this was the only way to get the bearing off. (ie by sliding it up or down the shaft). I wasn't sure if there was some way to loosen the bearing before you slid it off the shaft.

I think I'll try removing the rust before I apply the new bearing. If that doesn't work, I'll try freezing the shaft and warming the bearing.

Thanks again,

Mark
borat

Reply #3   Dec 30, 2008 7:56 pm
The rust is what's probably causing the resistance. 

On a shaft like that, I use the "shoe shine" method to ge the rust off.  I cut pieces of sand paper a couple inches wide and pull back and forth across the shaft.  Rotate shaft and continue. 

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42