Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > oil for snowblower engine....

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikiewest

oil for snowblower engine....
Original Message   Dec 28, 2008 5:50 pm
Can you use engine oil that you buy for your car engine, for your snowblower engine?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Dano

Re: oil for snowblower engine....
Reply #1   Dec 28, 2008 6:06 pm
If you have a 4 cycle snowblower engine, and you use 5w-30 oil it should be fine.
MacLorry27

Reply #2   Dec 28, 2008 6:43 pm

Many snow thrower manufacturers now recommend using synthetic motor oil particularly for subzero temperatures. Synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1, doesn’t contain any of the waxes that cause conventional oils to congeal in cold temperatures. As a result, synthetic oil makes starting easier and also prevent parts from running dry when a cold engine first starts. Synthetic oil also has higher film strength and stands up to high temperatures better than conventional oils. You’ll pay about 4 bucks a quart for a full synthetic and you still have to change it as often as conventional oils, but you are giving your snow thrower engine the best chance for a long trouble free life. I had a Toro 419 that I used Mobil 1 5w30 in from the first oil change and I just gave it away, still starting on the first pull, after 28 years of service.

This message was modified Dec 28, 2008 by MacLorry27
Coldfingers

Reply #3   Dec 28, 2008 6:46 pm
How soon can you put synthetic in? I have a new machine and I was wondering if you have to break them in first or not?

Thanks!

borat

Reply #4   Dec 28, 2008 7:54 pm
Coldfingers wrote:
How soon can you put synthetic in? I have a new machine and I was wondering if you have to break them in first or not?

Thanks!

I have read that synthetic oil doesn't allow for proper break-in.  Can't say one way or the other if it's true or not.  Many engines from cars to motorcycles come from the factory with synthetic oil in them.  Don't know if the engines were broken in at the plant or not.  I broke my engine in with normal mineral oil.   It's cheap and easy to do for peace of mind if in fact there is any truth to the theory.    

Speedbird

Reply #5   Dec 28, 2008 7:56 pm
Hey Coldfingers,
I have a new Ariens 927LE and just finished my first oil change after using it for just under 3hrs. Spoke to my dealer and he said it was perfectly fine to use synthetic from the get-go so I topped it off with Castrol synthetic 0W-30, though 5W-30 works just as well.
Hope this helps.
MacLorry27

Reply #6   Dec 28, 2008 8:49 pm

My new snow thrower uses a 305cc B&S snow series OHV engine, and the manual recommends the first oil change after just 2 hours use. That’s when I switched to 5w30 Mobil 1, but any brand of full synthetic oil would work. You’ll really notice the difference when starting in subzero weather, which is what some parts of the country often get following big snow storms.

This message was modified Dec 28, 2008 by MacLorry27
Clay

Reply #7   Dec 29, 2008 9:12 am
In my owners manual for the B&S 305 it said to change after 5 hours.  In the Tecumseh 358 (Ariens) it says two hours for the first oil change.  On some cars that were older the rings needed to seal first so regular oil is what they need to run on first.  I've been running Mobil One for well over 10 years now in all of my vehicles.  I put it in the lawn mowers and garden tractor and brush cutter that I have as well.  For some reason, Mobile One is unavailable in our area right now.  Not sure of the reason, but no store has it in this area and hasn't for months.  When I changed the last oil change in the car, I put in Penz full synthetic and when I changed out the oil on my B&S 305 I put in Castrol Syntec another full synthetic.  It costs more but it is the way to go.

Rick

Coldfingers

Reply #8   Dec 29, 2008 10:38 am
Speedbird, thanks for the info. My briggs says to change it after the first five hours so I will put in the same synthetic blend castrol that I have been using in my old snowblower.

Coldfingers
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #9   Dec 29, 2008 11:03 am
As specified in the owners' manual, I drained the oil in my Ariens (with 11.5 Tecumseh) after the first 2 hours. I refilled with Mobil 1 0W-30. I change it after each season. At this time there are 40 hours on the engine which has consistently started and run very well.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
snowmachine

Reply #10   Dec 29, 2008 11:57 am
I am using this Amsoil 5W-30 in mine.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42