Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need Lots of Advice

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Smolenski7

Need Lots of Advice
Original Message   Dec 26, 2008 5:42 pm
Unfortunately my Simplicity Snow Tackler, complete with the New York Giants theme, quit on me after the last storm here in Conn.  I want to upgrade to a 2 stage unit, however, I'm a bit confused as to what to buy.  Supplies in the area are limited, seems everyone and his brother needs a new snow blower.

I have a medium size driveway, 2 cars wide and about 60 feet long.  I also have about 200ft of side walk.

My basic questions are:
1. Are the units at the big box stores so bad that they will quit on me in only a few years?

2. What features are worthy of spending a bit more money on?  For example, Easy Turn (or it's cousins on other manufacturers machines), one hand operation, ect....

I've been looking at the Cub Cadet 524 because of it's "easy" moverability, Troy-Bilt 26in from Lowes, Ariens 624, Toro 826.

Obviously very different machines with different prices.  Any help would be appreciated.
Replies: 12 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Smolenski7

Re: Need Lots of Advice
Reply #12   Dec 28, 2008 2:36 pm
Are you kidding me?  My Briggs engine is made in China.  Well, at least it's a Briggs and not a no name.  I can get some solace out of that.
borat

Reply #13   Dec 28, 2008 2:50 pm
Smolenski7 wrote:
Are you kidding me?  My Briggs engine is made in China.  Well, at least it's a Briggs and not a no name.  I can get some solace out of that.

Couldn't you hear the difference in the exhaust note?   Listen closely.  You'll hear a little oriental twang.... I'm told that it's due to the "Hop Sing"  muffler they use. 

Is it true the Chinese engines run better with sesame oil?

Being manufactured under license for B&S, chances are that it will be a fine engine. 

I just get a little pissed with all of the manufacturing jobs leaving the Continent.  

mfduffy

Reply #14   Dec 28, 2008 10:09 pm
Snowmann wrote:
All Briggs model 12 and 15 engines (205/206cc and 249/250cc)... Made in China.<BR><BR>PK

If Snowman's statement is accurate -- we need to ask B&S to update their website... below is from their FAQs (link follows). It is widely known that B&S has plants all over the world, but it was my understanding from the local newspapers, that the reason was primarily to serve those markets -- rather than to ship heavy, cast-iron bore engines all over the world for subsequent final product assembly. Certainly, local news is biased for the hometown company, but still.

Are Briggs & Stratton engines, pressure washers, generators, etc. made in the U.S.?

Over 90% of our engines and products are manufactured in the USA.

The only exception would be the Vanguard horizontal shaft, V-Twin and 3-cylinder liquid cooled engines (All Vanguard vertical shaft single cylinder engines are made in the USA). The Vanguard horizontal shaft and V-twin engines have many of its components made in the USA and are assembled in Japan.

All Vanguard engines are engineered in the USA.

We design, engineer, and assemble the vast majority of our generator and pressure washer products in the United States. Please refer to the packing label for a specific country of origin information.

http://faqs.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faqs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1393&p_created=947899980&p_topview=1
Smolenski7

Reply #15   Dec 28, 2008 10:19 pm
I couldn't find anything that said B and S makes their engines over seas.  In fact, I found an article stating that the labor in China became too expensive, believe it or not, and that the plant moved to the Phillipines.
Snowmann

Reply #16   Dec 28, 2008 11:24 pm
Smolenski7 wrote:
I couldn't find anything that said B and S makes their engines over seas.  In fact, I found an article stating that the labor in China became too expensive, believe it or not, and that the plant moved to the Phillipines.

The model 12 and 15 horizontal shaft engines were made in Rolla, MO (plant closed in 2007). Now made in China. 305cc and 342cc (models 20 and 21) still assembled in USA. It's a fact.
Replies: 12 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42