Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Simplicity 1524E goes kabam!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Tubby

New Simplicity 1524E goes kabam!
Original Message   Dec 24, 2008 12:31 pm
Really let down on this machine. I suppose any machine could have a hiccup though.
The first thing I notice is that it always seemed slightly in gear, always wanted to tug a little. It was like this for a couple hours.
Today, I was using it, and BANG! Then of course no more forward locomotion.

The drive plate sheared right off its axle inside! It looks like it is a press fit, and it walked itself right off.

Crap. The banks of the edge of the driveway are already 4 foot tall.
I hope they don't charge to pick it up.

The 8 year old ariens I sold to get this thing never left me high and dry!
This message was modified Jan 3, 2009 by Tubby
Replies: 11 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Tubby

Re: New Simplicity 1524p goes kabam!
Reply #11   Jan 1, 2009 10:46 pm
Well, the place I bought it is really tying to help as best they can, they even offered me a loaner. So far, only  5 or 6 inches of light powder. so i did not need it.
We both agreed it was/is a very bad design. The drive wheel is pressed on, and has a lot of stress. This works it loose, and as it does so, it works towards the rubber drive disc,  That is why it always wants to pull, engaged or not.
I hope if anyone else here has problems they post about it. It is a major fix, you have to dis-assemble the entire guts to get to it. It is a major safety hazard as I see it. In reverse it keeps coming at you.

If this keeps happening, I see problems for Simplicity.

As I understand it, the old design had the wheel threaded on. It must have been much cheaper to build it this way. Smooth move simplicity.
borat

Re: New Simplicity 1524p goes kabam!
Reply #12   Jan 2, 2009 10:21 am
Come on now Tubby.  It's not cheapening of parts "it's advanced production methods"  similar to the brand name box store machines.   

Let's hope that this is a one off situation/mistake for Simplicity.  If they go box store, we'll have no premium quality machines built in the USA left to choose from.   I'm particularly surprised/dismayed that they would choose their flagship line to put a piece of junk on.   Have you looked for an e-mail address to give Simplicity a blast?   If not, here's a link.  http://www.simplicitymfg.com/contact/  

Tubby

Re: New Simplicity 1524E goes kabam!
Reply #13   Jan 3, 2009 1:00 pm
Thanks for the link.

I let them have it. I now have a foot of snow in the driveway. Still no part to fix it, and quite frankly, if they replace it with the *exact* same part, I am half tempted to sell it. Unsafe and failure prone. It really is bad design.
borat

Re: New Simplicity 1524E goes kabam!
Reply #14   Jan 3, 2009 1:10 pm
Hey Tubby:

You're right on track with the safety aspect.  I'd be waving that flag high and often.  Keep it in their face and demand that a better quality component to replace the defective one.  If they can't do it, tell them you want a machine that doesn't have that type of failure prone mechanism.  Good luck to you.

Anyone else out there with a similar problem should be getting on the band wagon too.  Even if you haven't had the problem but own a similarly appointed machine, I'd be getting in touch with Simplicity for a fix before you have a mishap caused by a similar failure.  There's strength in unity. 

This message was modified Jan 3, 2009 by borat
Replies: 11 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42