Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Complete novice...what to buy?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dancurry

Complete novice...what to buy?
Original Message   Dec 20, 2008 1:57 pm
About to buy a two-stage snowblower. Fairly large driveway with large open space as it turns into bays. One-stage Ariens not cutting it. Might buy the Toro 826LE for about $1,299 but wondering if there's something better in that price range. Ariens? Another brand?
Replies: 15 - 24 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline

Re: Complete novice...what to buy?
Reply #15   Dec 23, 2008 8:42 pm
dancurry - I'm new to this forum as well and have found the insight provided by those that participate to be of great value.

I just bought an Ariens 1130 DLE. So its 11hp, with a few features I'm not sure I could do without. Firstly, it has a differential lock, which means it turns very easily. In fact my aunt, who is not particularly strong loves to use it and even does the neighbors driveways and sidewalks as a courtesy because she loves to use it.

Secondly, the chute is turned by a lever up on the handlebar, near all the other controls. Also, the chute flap, which directs the arch of the snow is also lever controlled. (Please note I may be calling these things by improper names). All of these features I have found to be incredibly useful and perhaps impossible to live without.

To give you an idea, I used the machine for 7 hours the other day after a 14" snowfall, basically doing good deeds for my neighbors. And after all that I didn't have the slightest pain in my back or arms. Machine is simply amazing. It had no problem taking down 30' berms left by the snow plows the city employs to clean up the streets.

But I agree with an earlier poster, I would first start with a local dealer. Find one you can trust will stay in business because at some point you will need service and it will most likely be the only place you can get it done in a timely manner. I would stay away from Home Depot. Mine local store only sells the stripped down versions. Non professionals put them together (which is not a big deal considering they are for the most part assembled at the factory, but they rarely tighten things effectively). And the local authorized service dealer will only deal with the HD machines for warranty service when all of their customers have been served. Which could take months if you put it in for service next Sept, Oct.

I paid just under $1300 for it new and it is worth every penny. If I were you, I would search this board for maintenance tips. Basics things you can do to extend the life of your machine and keep it in fine working order. Plus it will save you the expense of having professional service for minor issues you can handle yourself.

Best of luck with your purchase.
This message was modified Dec 23, 2008 by 03801
borat

Reply #16   Dec 23, 2008 9:10 pm
Those sound more like torque ratings rather than horse power.  The smaller unit has 11.5 ft. lbs. torque which would equate to around 8 h.p.  The larger unit  is between 9.5 & 11 h.p. with  between 13.5 to 15.5 ft. lbs. torque, depending on power advertising/model.  The smaller unit probably has the 248cc  B&S Snow Engine which means no electrics for a light and obviously, no light. 

The larger unit has the Snow Max engine with power &  light.   If the engine on all of the large frame units are the B&S 20000 series 305cc models, they are, from my research & experience the same engine despite advertising of different ratings.  My 9528 Simplicity is supposed to have a 9.5 h.p. rated engine.  I have had two ten h.p. units in the past and have used numerous other machines with ten to eleven h.p. ratings.  The 9.5 on my machine is more powerful than any ten h.p. engine and a good as any 11 h.p. units I've used.  So, I believe that if you buy their 28" unit and it has a 305cc engine, you can pretty much rest assured that it will be 11 h.p. unless Briggs & Stratten have actually done something to the engines this year to reduce horse power in the lower rated models.   

You will have to decide on your needs to determine if you require a bigger machine and a light.  You can always get a portable battery powered light to wear on your head or mount on the machine.  Lights are nice but not essential.    

dancurry

Reply #17   Dec 23, 2008 10:39 pm
Not so concerned about the light, but easy turn is nice and, as was mentioned, for $50 extra, why not get the more powerful machine. Thanks to everyone. I'll post pictures when I get the 1428.
borat

Reply #18   Dec 23, 2008 10:50 pm
This message was modified Jan 11, 2009 by borat
pvrp

Reply #19   Dec 23, 2008 10:53 pm
dancurry wrote:
Not so concerned about the light, but easy turn is nice and, as was mentioned, for $50 extra, why not get the more powerful machine. Thanks to everyone. I'll post pictures when I get the 1428.

If you want easy to turn you should buy an Ariens with a differential.  Imagine being able to easily
follow a snaking  path or to turn corners in your driveway without having to do anything, without
having to slow down or stop, while maintaining power to both wheels.  Only a differential will let
you do this.  I think it would be worth it to test drive the various machines if you can.  Robustness,
power and durability are certainly nice but most snowfalls are not huge storms and nimbleness
can be nice to have.  There would have to be a big difference in quality for me to give up the
differential on my Ariens.

Paul
This message was modified Dec 23, 2008 by pvrp
Paul7

Reply #20   Dec 24, 2008 12:51 am
Upon Borat's advice, I looked at a Snapper 1428 today. It looks nice, certainly could do the job and more. Wondering if it isn't too much machine for my driveway, which is fairly large and turns into a four-car bay.

It's not too much machine.  I made a mistake years when I was deciding between a 5hp or an 8hp machine.  I got the 5hp and it worked until the blizzard of 1996 came through with 28 plus inches of snow. 

Get the bigger one...you'll appreciate the power when a major storm hits.  Also the more powerful unit will let you throw snow farther which is important when blowing across a section that you already cleared.

Also, who ever said that maneuverability was important was spot on correct.  With a lager machine either the differential or remote wheel lock is a must.
nhmatt

Reply #21   Dec 24, 2008 6:47 am
If you are going to buy brand new and want to spend lessnthan a grand, I'd go to Sears and buy what's on sale.  Nothing smaller than 8hp/24", because when you need a snowblower you need a big one.  4" is easy for any machine, but 8" or 24" at the end of the driveway?  Keep in mind after the first year you will have to tighten belts and other things, because it won't run like knew after is gets broken in.

I like hondas, because I've used them with great success.  I've also used older areins, and toro 1-stage.  The toro 1-stage was really good for fresh snow, and you could lug it around real easy (up on the deck, ect.)

Ariens are now on my "love to hate" list.  If you want the support of a dealer and better quality than big box stores, I would suggest either a 2-stage Toro or Simplicity, they look like beefy machines.  I'd take a lightly used Honda over any other machine, and a smaller Honda will do the work of a larger machine.  Something to keep in mind if you have tight spaces in between cars.  A 724 honda will beat a 1028 machine, simply because you don't have to stop. 

And they throw the snow farther and don't get clogged.

This message was modified Dec 24, 2008 by nhmatt
dancurry

Reply #22   Jan 1, 2009 5:39 pm
http://www.getdropbox.com/gallery/361475/1/Snowblower?h=6d232d

Just got the Snapper L1428E. Hasn't snowed yet. All our earlier snows succumbed to a freak 65 degree day last week. The dealer, Wasco Lawn & Power, Wasco IL, (far western suburbs of Chicago) did a nice job prepping the machine. I forgot to ask: What octane gas should I use. Manual says "at least" 87 octane. Can't wait for the big snows.

Hey Borat, this is about the third Simplicity/Snapper blower you've sold since I've been on these boards. You ought to get commission. I'll attest to your advocacy. Seriously, thanks for the good advice. I was about to buy a lesser machine, I think.
This message was modified Jan 1, 2009 by dancurry
borat

Reply #23   Jan 1, 2009 6:48 pm
Thanks for the compliment.  I wouldn't recommend something I wouldn't buy myself. 

Believe it or not, I'm not a brand loyalist.  If Simplicity begins to go box store style and compromise the build quality of their machines, they'll go on the sh!t list too.   As long as they keep building them the way they're built now, I'll recommend them.  Take time to make sure everything is lubed up good (grease axles, chain drive system, (cover friction and drive disks while lubing inside the housing),  grease the auger shaft and the Zerk on the right side wheel.  Check the routing of the cables to ensure they don't bind or contact the exhaust.  Give it a good run once you get some snow.  If everything is working well, carry on.  Change your oil after the first two or three hours of use.  Put in synthetic oil of recommended viscosity and you'll be set.    Enjoy your new machine.  Let us know what you think of it. 

By the way, regular pump gas is fine.  Run a bit of  Seafoam through it every so often will move any moisture out of the system and clean carb, valves and combustion chamber. 

This message was modified Jan 1, 2009 by borat
dancurry

Reply #24   Jan 10, 2009 12:38 pm
Used the Snapper L1428E for first time today. Amazing how easy it cuts through everything, including EOD stuff. Not a huge snowfall, about four inches, but enough that would have given my retired one-stager a rough time. The Snapper seemed like it was almost laughing at this amount of white stuff. Takes a few minutes to get used to maneuvering the big machine, but releasing left-wheel to spin around helps a lot. Snowing again heavily so I'll probably have another run later on. No glitches at all. Biggest difference is I can throw snow far enough I don't have to go back and forth across three wide driveway. I can go down lengthwise and throw to either side. Very happy with purchase so far.
Replies: 15 - 24 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42