Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Sears Snapper model any good?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ettidura

Sears Snapper model any good?
Original Message   Dec 22, 2008 6:57 pm
Looking at this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188726000P

Budget is $1000 (tax and delivery extra is fine). 

The blower must be able to go through snowwalls and wet snow.  Well, thats what we all want, don't we?  I think certain blowers do it better than others.

I have been reading on the forums, and the Simplicity/Snapper are recommended.  Was looking at Honda's too, but they maybe too expensive for me.
The driveway can fit close to 7 cars, so its fairly large.

Any other brands/models you can think of, please let me know.

Thx.
This message was modified Dec 22, 2008 by ettidura
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
borat

Re: Sears Snapper model any good?
Reply #1   Dec 22, 2008 7:28 pm
Of the Sears line up, that would be the one to choose. 

That particular model is the lower end model sold by Simplicity/Snapper.  It has the 250cc (8 h.p.)  engine, polymer chute, aluminum auger gear case.  Otherwise, it looks pretty close to the large frame units.  If it is, it should be a pretty durable machine. 

trouts2

Re: Sears Snapper model any good?
Reply #2   Dec 22, 2008 8:04 pm

The model at the website you listed Sears lists as Snapper model 1695571.  The Snapper website does not recognize that model number.  Curious but possibly the model is made for Sears and not a full Snapper.

The model has two roller bearings in the gearcase which is nice but the gearbox is not the gearbox of the older quality Snappers; a full design change.  Snapper is now mixed with Simplicity so the quality of the older Snappers seems to have changed.  Given the model number not being recognized by Snapper and the gearbox change it might be useful to go to a Snapper dealer and ask them for detail about the Sears model.

I can only speak from familiarity with older Snapper models.  The intermediate and large frame heavy duty Snappers were some of the finest snowblowers ever made.  The intermediate heavy duty 8265 was a good size homeowner 8 horse power 26 inch snowblower and one of the best snowblowers ever in that class at least according to me.  I used one most of last winter along with a Toro 824XL which I parked, sold, and was glad to get rid of.  The XL was a nice snowblower well built but a dog compared to the 8265 which was quality throughout.  The 8265 had power, fat tires, good front end weight, could dig into heavy snow, and throw very well.  It was easy to roll around with no snow and great in snow.  

A dealer could tell you if the Sears is a sniff of the quality of the 8265 or not.  If it is $1000 would be a bargain.

dawei

This message was modified Dec 22, 2008 by trouts2
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42