Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help: Ariens 722, electric start failed

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
steeles

Help: Ariens 722, electric start failed
Original Message   Dec 19, 2008 11:00 am
first snow came, and electric starter failed..

Power cord is fine, plug in, push prime button, turn key, then push the start button, no response at all !!!

I tested it in the fall, first time it would't start, but at least it respnsed, it spin, then on next day I tried again, push the start button, it starts right up.

after that, the only thing I did was to put some WD-40 in the wheel, recoil bearing, etc.

Was WD-40 caused its failure?

Please help, electric start is easyier for aged people, like in-law to start snowblower.

thanks.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
borat

Re: Help: Ariens 722, electric start failed
Reply #1   Dec 19, 2008 1:52 pm
WD-40 will not hurt electrical components such as you starter.  It is actually a formula to displace water.  That's what WD stands for "water displacement".  So don't think that you caused problems with the starter by applying WD-40.  The first thing that I'd do is check the connections.   Disconnect  the cord and check the connection surfaces for corrosion.  Clean everything up as good as you can.  If  the starter still doesn't start.  Pull ii off and look for signs of overheating.   Sometimes you smell burned plastic.  That's usually a good clue that something overheated and possibly melted.  If you can disassemble the starter, do so.  once it's apart see if it has brushes and if so, what condition they're in.   Not sure if parts are readily available for these types of starters.  I've never had to replace one.   Good luck and let us know how it goes.  
steeles

Reply #2   Dec 19, 2008 3:00 pm
I tested the power cord with a work light, light turned right now. so the cord is good.

I clean up the starter plug too, no luck.

How easy is it to take starter apart? is it just to apart the starter outside or I have to open the cover?

Thanks.

This message was modified Dec 19, 2008 by steeles
mkd55

Reply #3   Dec 19, 2008 6:07 pm
you need to test the switch for continuity,if the voltage is going thru the switch it could be the bendix is bad.they get pitted where they make contact and sometimes can't take the current draw.if the bendix is good then it is either the motor itself or a loose wire or bad ground. does the switch click at all? put the machine in 5th gear and try to rotate the flywheel by pushing the machine or pulling the rope.if it rotates then check to make sure the starter is not hung up. also if the starter is not mounted tight to the flywheel it could be misaligned .mine had one hole get stripped and the starter was growling because it was mounted so loose.check the obvious first.have someone hold the switch down and check voltage at a connector or lug down by the starter.go from the source of voltage toward the starter and keep checking for open switches,wires,connections etc.
This message was modified Dec 19, 2008 by mkd55
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42