Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens ST824 - Augers not turning

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
TonyRio

Ariens ST824 - Augers not turning
Original Message   Dec 18, 2008 10:34 am
Hi all, looking for some help.

I have an ST824 that is about 20-25 years old that I got from my Dad when he retired. Last year it worked like a champ, but one of the kids left something in the drive that the rakes picked up and got jammed on. Unfortunatly the shear pins did not shear. Now, the fan will rotate, but the rakes do not. I am assuming something is pooched within the gear box iteself, but have not had it apart to see what.

How hard is it to open this up and service it? I am fairly handy and have a heated garage, so I'm not too scared of it. From what I can tell it is a simple worm drive case?

Also, what is a good place for replacement parts? For some reason I am having trouble finding an Ariens service dealer near me (far west suburbs of Chicago). The online places all seem to want around $200 for a whole new gear box.  I'm out of work here in a few weeks, so obviously looking to save a few dollars.

Thanks!
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Clay

Re: Ariens ST824 - Augers not turning
Reply #1   Dec 18, 2008 10:45 am
I'm not familiar with your specific machine, but a cheaper thing to eliminate before buying a gear box would be to inspect the belts, if that unit uses them.  Sometime a simple belt snaps and it can be resolved much cheaper than a gear box.  Maybe you already checked that?

Rick

TonyRio

Reply #2   Dec 18, 2008 10:54 am
From what I can tell, not a belt. I can turn the augers by hand (obviously with the machine off) but can feel a slip within the drive assembly. Basically, I can get the augers to turn slowly, but not under load. I am going to look again tonight and check belt first, bit I am almost positive that is not the issue. From what I see and the original owners manual there is only the main "Vee" belt which drives everything from the tractor forward. The second stage fan turns fine, as does the input shaft into the gearbox on the rake shaft. It seems something within the gear box is busted and not transferring power to the rake shaft.
Clay

Reply #3   Dec 18, 2008 11:00 am
Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in soon Tony.  I just wanted to make sure that you check the less expensive fix first before investing in a machine that old.  I just replaced my 21 year old machine that was leaking oil.  I probably could have changed some engine gaskets but thought that old girl had more than paid for herself so I will take the older unit to a vacation home for the the few times that I will use it there in the winter and keep the newer unit for the main house.  I understand the economy sucks right now and anything that you can do and not invest alot is to be considered seriously.  Someone should be able to point you the right direction.  Good luck

Rick

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #4   Dec 18, 2008 11:20 am
Have you taken the shear bolts out to make sure they haven't sheared?

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
trouts2

Reply #5   Dec 18, 2008 11:22 am
>>From what I can tell, not a belt. I can turn the augers by hand (obviously with the machine off) but can feel a slip within the drive assembly.

Not sure just what you are turning.  If you go to the front of the machine and stick your hand into the chute and turn the impeller and with the other hold an auger blade still.  If your press very hard on the impeller while holding the blade you can often feel a slip of the worm over the helical gear. 

You could also remove the belt cover, throw snow, and see if the driven pulley is slipping.

You said you can see the impeller turning but not the blades.  Sometimes it tricks people into thinking something is wrong.  The impeller turns at about 1200 RPM at full speed and the blades 120.  There is not much movement if you have the engine running at a very low speed.  They will barely move. 

David

goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #6   Dec 18, 2008 11:31 am
I have never taken a gear box apart, so I cannot helped you on that, some of the reading I have done seems to point to it being fairly easy, with the main worry of keeping it from leaking after reassembly. The dealers/factory use some type of press for the oil seal I believe, unsure tho. Reading some of trouts past post it seems as he has taken many apart, so I am sure he can help you greatly in that department.  If you do need to order some parts, maybe try to narrow down the closest ariens dealer and get in contact to see if they will ship the parts. 

Without having the exact model and serial, I believe the below may be your parts manual.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/PM-24-89.pdf

This is your service manual.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/000123A.pdf

And owners manual

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/024532.pdf

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
borat

Reply #7   Dec 18, 2008 12:18 pm
I'm with Johnathan on this one.  I've seen/experienced augers with broken shear pins that had enough resistance to appear that they were not broken.  As recommended, take a better look at the shear pins to be sure they aren't broken.  Take them out if need be. 
Snowmann

Reply #8   Dec 18, 2008 1:39 pm
TonyRio wrote:
Hi all, looking for some help.

I have an ST824 that is about 20-25 years old that I got from my Dad when he retired. Last year it worked like a champ, but one of the kids left something in the drive that the rakes picked up and got jammed on. Unfortunatly the shear pins did not shear. Now, the fan will rotate, but the rakes do not. I am assuming something is pooched within the gear box iteself, but have not had it apart to see what.

How hard is it to open this up and service it? I am fairly handy and have a heated garage, so I'm not too scared of it. From what I can tell it is a simple worm drive case?

Also, what is a good place for replacement parts? For some reason I am having trouble finding an Ariens service dealer near me (far west suburbs of Chicago). The online places all seem to want around $200 for a whole new gear box.  I'm out of work here in a few weeks, so obviously looking to save a few dollars.

Thanks!

Check the shear bolts first as everyone else has stated (remove them). If the castings are not damaged (aluminum?), you may be able to simply change out the worm shaft and gear. The gear is not sold separately (matched backlash with the wormshaft). Let me know your model number (starts with a 9, 8 digits long) and I'll let you know your replacement number. I saw somewhere recently where a guy located these parts online from an overstock place for $50.

PK

mech12

Reply #9   Dec 18, 2008 3:36 pm
first  off the front blower housing need to be parted from the tractor portion. now with this done tip housing onto front so the pulley is facing upwards.  need to remove pulley from impellar shaft. there are two bolts underneath the pulley.  they are square heads.  a 1/4 8 point should work.  now come the parts of rust.  if lucky a few taps with a RUBBER mallet and a little prying on pulley will work.  if now soak or heat,  here in the shop we heat.   be CAREFULL not the mash the end of impellar shaft.    once the pulley is removed, youll need to remove the bolts on either side of blower housing... these hold cups wich inturn hold the bushing .....remove the two bolts on the ends of auger shaft...  now pull entire assembly out from housing.  now come another fun parts... removing the augers from the shaft.  same process as above...  careful not to mix the up as far as right and left...  good luck
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #10   Dec 18, 2008 3:36 pm
Before anything unplug you spark plug so not to get injured.Good luck

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42