Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How to use Simplicity Easy Turn correctly

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
RDave

How to use Simplicity Easy Turn correctly
Original Message   Dec 12, 2008 10:16 pm
This is my first post.  I live near Cleveland, Ohio, and I just bought a Simplicity L1428E after reading a lot of positive posts here about it's rugged construction and great performance.  I assumed that to use the Easy Turn, that you would squeeze the trigger and turn left (counter clockwise) and allow the powered right wheel to pull you through the turn.  In the Simplicity sales literature, it shows an animated view form above, and it shows the operater turning the machine clockwise and it explains that pulling the trigger releases the drive power to the left wheel for easy maneuvering and 180 degree turning.  I wondered if the other forum Simplicity Easy Turn owners turn left of right, and which maneuver is actually easier.

RDave  

This message was modified Dec 12, 2008 by RDave
Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
RDave

Re: How to use Simplicity Easy Turn correctly
Reply #2   Dec 13, 2008 11:17 am
Hi Borat, thanks for your response.  What would you recommend to put in the grease gun and what to spray on the chains and to lube the cables with?  Is there an adjustment for the Easy Turn trigger?  Mine seems to activate only when you squeeze ti all the way.  I purchased my unit from my local dealer and they set it up and delivered it free of charge.  Have you ever heard of replacing as mutch hardware with stainless steel nuts and bolts to prevent rusting?  thanks,  RDave
borat

Reply #3   Dec 13, 2008 11:29 am
RDave wrote:
Hi Borat, thanks for your response.  What would you recommend to put in the grease gun and what to spray on the chains and to lube the cables with?  Is there an adjustment for the Easy Turn trigger?  Mine seems to activate only when you squeeze ti all the way.  I purchased my unit from my local dealer and they set it up and delivered it free of charge.  Have you ever heard of replacing as mutch hardware with stainless steel nuts and bolts to prevent rusting?  thanks,  RDave

The zerk fitting get marine grease, chains get the spray grease that I've informed the forum of on another post, control cables get a very light spray oil.  Not WD40.  I will use WD40 to clean cables but I normally use a light machine oil in a spray can to lube them.    I think the easy turn trigger is designed to have a long throw.  If you look inside at the engagement cogs for the two wheel drive, you'll see that they're fairly deep.  It takes a bit of movement to disengage the mechanism.  I suspect that's the way it should be.  If it gets to the point where it doesn't disengage,  there should be adjustment instructions in the manual.   I've never done anything with mine so I haven't really looked the adjustment mechanism for it. 

Stainless steel fasteners are like jewelry for me.  I love the stuff.  If I had to replace fasteners, I'd probably use SS.  But  I wouldn't do an unnecessary change out.    

mfduffy

Reply #4   Dec 14, 2008 4:53 pm
There's an adjustment for the Easy Turn half-way up the cable. It's easy to do, but a easier if you have the machine in the service position with the bottom off. You don't want to make it so tight that two-wheel drive isn't fully engaged when the trigger is released, as borat suggests.
This message was modified Dec 14, 2008 by mfduffy
RDave

Reply #5   Dec 16, 2008 9:45 pm
Mfduffy, what is the service position?  I worry about getting gas and oil where it shouldn't be. RDave
mfduffy

Reply #6   Dec 17, 2008 10:45 am
Your manual should cover this topic with illustrations better than I can with words.  Basically, you rotate the machine up on the auger housing -- auger is to the floor.  It will balance and stand there.  Note: if you have drift cutters, you'll need to remove them.  You will definitely want to turn the fuel shut off.  Still, some gas from the carb will leak out for a few seconds.  I have not worried about that, but I suppose you could run the carb dry if it concerns you.  Given that it's the intended service position, I assume the oil is fine -- but I don't know enough to say for sure.

You can then remove the bottom cover (two screws).   The reason I suggest doing so before making the adjustment, is that you can watch the teeth engage/disengage and then ensure that they are fully engaged when the trigger is released.

Do NOT put white lithium on the shaft or the teeth.  Doing so caused me great trouble last year.  You want a grease on the teeth that won't harden up in the cold (I use SuperLube) and some kind of oil (I use synthetic 5W30) on the shaft.  That bit of advice came to me courtesy of borat.

Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42