Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD Yard Machine (Costco)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snow

MTD Yard Machine (Costco)
Original Message   Dec 7, 2008 11:58 am
Hello,

I am looking for a snowblower, for 70X20ft paved driveway in Chicago. 
I would like something that does not require a lot of strength to use, turn , maneuver.
I prefer to spend a little more and get a "lifer".

What do you think of the one at Costco?
 MTD YardMachine (313003)
 24" 2-stage
 $600

Thanks

This message was modified Dec 7, 2008 by snow
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
borat

Re: MTD Yard Machine (Costco)
Reply #1   Dec 7, 2008 3:46 pm
snow wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for a snowblower, for 70X20ft paved driveway in Chicago. 
I would like something that does not require a lot of strength to use, turn , maneuver.
I prefer to spend a little more and get a "lifer".

What do you think of the one at Costco?
 MTD YardMachine (313003)
 24" 2-stage
 $600

Thanks

If you have less than ten years to live, you might consider that particular machine as a "lifer".    My experience has taught me that average service life of ten years or less is what's to be expected from products in the MTD, AYP class.   That is if you properly maintain them.  If not, service life could be half of that.   I'm not saying that they'll stop working all together at ten years of age.  Your maintenance will increase, welds begin to crack, threaded holes & screws begin to strip, plastics break, cables break, bushings wear, vibrations increase causing stuff to fall off, rust seizes moving parts, chains stretch etc., etc.  If you're anal about maintenance and give the machine meticulous and regular inspections, stay on top of lubrication and adjustments, you can possibly nurse them into their teens if the chassis doesn't crack and fall apart.     
This message was modified Dec 7, 2008 by borat
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #2   Dec 7, 2008 4:43 pm
I agree with Borat. I'd suggest you chek out similar size machines made by companies such Ariens, Simplicity and Toro.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Summerwinds

Simplicity 924i, Toro 3650

Reply #3   Dec 7, 2008 10:36 pm
Snow,

I just went though this process last week...see my post,  "Buying A New Two Stage - Would Appreciate Your Advice" below. We live in the same area. I checked out snowblowers everywhere...Ace, Lowe's, Home Depot, Crafty Beaver, Sears, etc. Spend a little more and buy a quality product. I took the excellent advice of the guys on this forum and decided on a Simplicity 24" with a Briggs & Stratton 9 horsepower OHV engine. I bought it from Reed Lawn & Leisure in Palatine. It cost just under $1100 with tax and delivery. I highly suggest you look at this model...it's the right combination of size, weight and horsepower with a heavy steel frame and a reputation for quality and durability. There is a store in Schaumburg called Wise Sales that sells Simplicity but tax there is 10% compared to Reed which is 7% because they are located in Lake County.

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42