Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What does Tecumseh change to yield 11HP from the same block as the 9HP Snow King?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
micalino

What does Tecumseh change to yield 11HP from the same block as the 9HP Snow King?
Original Message   Dec 1, 2008 1:36 pm
Does anyone know what Tecumseh changes to yield 11HP from the same block as the 9HP Snow King?  I would guess it's either the carb., induction system, valves or maybe all of the above?

Micalino
Replies: 3 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
lufkin

Re: What does Tecumseh change to yield 11HP from the same block as the 9HP Snow King?
Reply #3   Dec 1, 2008 8:56 pm
Hello 

Great forum.  Just  joined, but have been reading for quite some time.

I recently purchased a new snowthrower and I too have been wondering about  different power ratings for the same engines.

I have had no luck on the net finding what my snowblower engines' spec numbers mean.  Does anyone know of a site that would explain to me what power the engine has and what features it comes equipped with?  The info on the TecumsehPower site seems to only explain what a 6 digit spec number means, mine is a 5 digit  number with letter G at the end..

By the way, it is a Tecumseh OH195SA, Spec 72569G, Family 8TPXS 1951AF.

Thanks.

This message was modified Dec 1, 2008 by lufkin
friiy

Re: What does Tecumseh change to yield 11HP from the same block as the 9HP Snow King?
Reply #4   Dec 2, 2008 10:35 am
Sometimes to change the torque of a motor they change the flywheel (from aluminum to cast steel ),   this form what I understand absorbs the amount of available horspower at the ptu shaft but increases torque..

I remimber right..

Friiy

borat

Reply #5   Dec 2, 2008 12:46 pm
friiy wrote:
Sometimes to change the torque of a motor they change the flywheel (from aluminum to cast steel ),   this form what I understand absorbs the amount of available horspower at the ptu shaft but increases torque..

I remimber right..

Friiy

I agree that a heavier flywheel will maintain a more linear  torque supply.  Particularly under load.  The heavier flywheel's momentum will not be as sensitive to load variations as a lighter flywheel.  I cannot see how this could possibly reduce horse power though.   Once the engines are spinning at equal rpms, power output should be the same.   If the heavier flywheel restricted the ability to achieve equivalent rpms, I'd agree with you.  Otherwise, I'm having trouble understanding how it would inhibit power output.   I know with drag racing engines, savvy racers will put in a lighter flywheel to aid in acceleration by having the engine spin up fractionally quicker.  Overall, engine power output was virtually no different between the two flywheels once the engine was at full rpms.   
mech12

Reply #6   Dec 2, 2008 3:20 pm
  about the only things that will effect hp or torque are,   parasitc loads   example once you start putting  blade adapters, pulleys, belts  etc  all these items will rob the unit of actual hp.  this is how briggs and stratton got into trouble.   the advertised a specific unit was 6 hp.......... now what the didn't exactly disclose was this was "raw"   meaning now parasitc load on it.  well someone   dyno'ed an engine and it was only 5 hp......  anyway  later
nibbler

Flywheel
Reply #7   Dec 2, 2008 7:34 pm
A flywheel is the mechanical equivalent of a capacitor, it stores power for a little while. A heavy flywheel will cause an engine to take longer to come up to speed but does not change the overall power output. Once the engine is up to speed the flywheel will smooth out the power output and cause the engine to take longer to slow down once it is turned off.

Flywheels are particularly important in low cyclinder count engines ( singles for instance) since there are fewer power storkes per RPM. It stores some of the energy created in the power stroke and uses it to keep the engine turning over until the next power stroke occurs.

There is also a gyroscopic effect which can be kind of weird if you ever pick up a generator and try to turn it.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #8   Dec 3, 2008 1:40 pm
Several years ago I started a thread(http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/7869-A-1.html)that grew to over 154 posts regarding this very subject. While it was with regard to a Briggs engine Tecumseh does(did) the same thing. It appears that the change to torque ratings rather than horsepower which is now being used is an attempt to further obfiscate the truth and reveals the shady way in which engine manufacturers rate their products.Try and make it through the entire thread-It makes for interesting reading!!

Marc

This message was modified Dec 3, 2008 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 3 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42