Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 826 O (new w/ Briggs) or JD 928E?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
smit

Toro 826 O (new w/ Briggs) or JD 928E?
Original Message   Nov 26, 2008 1:14 pm
Hi folks, great thread & site!  I'm into a snowblower purchase a bit late in the game this season.  I've narrowed it down to these 2 and was hoping to get some comments or shared experience/knowledge.  I'm in Eastern Canada and options are slim for good quality blowers this year.  The JD will run me $250 more than the Toro but I'm not sure it's $250 better.  The JD has a B&G 259 cc engine which they claim is 9HP equivalent whereas the new Toro has a B&G 250 cc, which they market as 8HP.  I'm uncertain as to which has an advantage when matched with their respective auger and impeller systems.  I believe the JD system is a twin of the Simplicity system (actually the whole blower looks nearly identical to Simplicity which is probably a good thing!).  The JD does have an electric start, light, and 2" wider bucket, and I could probably get the dealer to throw some driftcutters but is this worth $250 more?  None of these features are necessities for me (although they are nice to have), it's more about the performance of the blower, reliability, and longevity.  Anybody have experience with the new line of JD's and/or the a Toro 826?  Please share, thanks.
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Snowmann

Re: Toro 826 O (new w/ Briggs) or JD 928E?
Reply #1   Nov 26, 2008 1:56 pm
Your engine information is not correct. Briggs makes 205cc, 249cc, 305cc, 342cc 4-stroke horizontal shaft snow engines (models 12, 15, 20, 21 respectively). The two engines you are referring to are likely the same (if perhaps trimmed out differenty). 249cc Model 15. The former horsepower ratings for these were 8.0hp (1100 torque series) and 8.5hp (1150 torque series). The 9.0 hp equivalent is 305cc (1350 torque series). The quality of the torque curves on these 249cc engines (relative to their horsepower ratings) isn't spectacular. The perceived operational torque would be closer to other small platform engines (Tecumseh 195cc, Briggs 205cc, Honda GX200, etc) than midplatform engines (Tecumseh 318cc, Briggs 305cc, etc.). That is, the next size up will give you much more engine. The model 15 will probably work for a 26" housing with a 12" fan, but the 28" might be pushing it a little...

PK

This message was modified Nov 26, 2008 by Snowmann
smit

Reply #2   Nov 26, 2008 5:43 pm
Yes, thanks for the correction.  I was writing a bit too fast and mistyped 259.

The Toro does advertise the 826 with a 250cc Briggs which I presume is the 249cc.  The JD unit I looked at today had the 249cc..  Both the Toro and JD have 12" impellers.  The Toro is a 26" cut and the JD a 28".  Their impeller & auger systems are obviously different as well.  Any comments on which would perform better? 

Also interesting that the online spec sheet for the JD shows this 928E as having the 305cc but the one I saw in person had the samler 249cc (??).  If I could find the JD with the 305cc...I'm assuming it would perform better than the Toro? 

By perform, I'm referring to flat out efficiency at moving snow (engine, auger system, impeller system, bucket size)

borat

Reply #3   Nov 26, 2008 8:12 pm
Reading the performance specs for any snow throwers is about as reliable as believing the fuel mileage figures for cars.  The only real comparison is side by side under the same conditions with machines equally prepared.  All it takes is a small bit of belt slipping to impair even the best of machines.  Both Toro & Simplicity are very good machines.   I'm surprised to see a Toro being less expensive than the JD but then again, JD are also famous for tacking on a couple hundred bucks for their name.  Have you actually looked at a Simplicity or Snapper similar to the JD?  Might be less money.    I have a Simplicity 9528 with the 305 cc engine.  It's supposed to be 9.5 horse power.  I keep my equipment running at optimum performance but it's not as though I'm adjusting the belts every time I take it out.  Actually, all I've done with mine since last season was add fuel and grease the drive axles. Did the oil change when I put it away.  Checked everything out and it's good to go.   This machine is better at moving snow than anything else I've owned.   The 9.5 h.p. Briggs seems to be quite a bit more powerful than the two previous 10 h.p. Tecumseh engined machines I had.   It's also easier on fuel, quieter and much smoother.  

Either way, both machines will likely be very close performance wise with a slight edge for distance leaning toward the 26" machine.  Personally, if I wasn't technically inclined, I be more concerned with the reputation of the dealer.  If you will be depending on the dealer to work on your machine, that should carry more weight than a slight edge in performance.  

This message was modified Nov 27, 2008 by borat
borat

Reply #4   Nov 26, 2008 8:12 pm
This message was modified Nov 27, 2008 by borat
smit

Reply #5   Nov 26, 2008 8:58 pm
I did look at a Simplcity L1428E which seems to be the same as yours (maybe different model # here in Canada for 2008/9). At first glance the JD 948E and this machine are twins, but looking closer the chute control is different. the JD has a threaded plastic swivel that works into notches on the chute that make it rotate. It's controlled by a lever that you work in a circular motion from the top of the console.  The tires are 16" on the JD and the lightis white. The biggest difference is the engine.The JD has the 249cc, 11.5 torque (8hp) and the Simplicity had the 305cc 13.5, torque (9hp).  Although in all the marketing material for the JD it shows the same 305cc...the one I looked at with my own eyes had the 249cc.  the dealer was not sure why but said he'd find out.  Both he and the Toro dealer are very good OPE dealers and have been good to me...makes the decision that much harder.  Oh...the Simplicity was $200 more than the JD.

Toro 826 O ($1180), JD 928E ($1400), Simplicity L1428E ($1600)...all include delivery/set-up, demo, etc.  This is Canadian pricing, a bit higher than the US.  Also the Simplicity dealer is a small OPE dealer in a small town so I'm sure it's marked up more than normal.

I think if I can get the JD with the 305cc, I'll spend the extra but if it does indeed always come with the 249cc, I'll go with the less expensive Toro even though it does not have a light or ES.

It'll be a few days before I decide so any additional posts would be greatly appreciated/thanks.

borat

Reply #6   Nov 26, 2008 10:04 pm
Have you made an offer for the Simplicity 928?  You're paying more money for the larger engine and possibly different controls & heavier duty machine.  Also, did you check the auger gear case on both the JD and Simplicity?  Are they both the same?  Some of the lower end Simplicity models (8 hp) have the aluminum gear case.  The large frame models have the cast iron gear case and likely beefier gears.  All that stuff costs more.  So, the bigger Simplicity still might be a better buy.  I bought mine from a farm implement shop out in a little village not far from town.  It was the previous year's model and I got it for $1500.00 taxes included with trading in my very much used 12 year old Craftsman. 
This message was modified Nov 26, 2008 by borat
smit

Reply #7   Nov 26, 2008 10:46 pm
Yup, identical cast iron gear case, auger, impeller, & bucket on the Simplicity I looked at and the JD928E.  Basically same machine other than the differences I pointed out above and the paint color, of course. I'm hoping the JD928E really does come with the 305cc and the one I saw today was an exception with the 249cc.  Will wait for a response from the dealer.  From your comments and Snowman, it seems the 305 is a better option with this 28" bucket and auger/impeller system/setup.
smit

Reply #8   Nov 27, 2008 9:53 pm
Confirmed today the JD 928E does indeed come with the 305cc Briggs.  The unit we were looking at had a sticker and a card that showed 249cc but a mechanic confirmed that the engine on the unit was indeed the 305cc.  So JD 928E with the 305cc Briggs or the Toro 826 with the 249cc, smaller 26" bucket, no electric start, no light, but $250 less? What would you do?

Kijiji: 2009 Toro 826 Snowthrower***NEW***

smit

Reply #9   Nov 28, 2008 12:50 pm
borat wrote:
Have you made an offer for the Simplicity 928?  You're paying more money for the larger engine and possibly different controls & heavier duty machine.  Also, did you check the auger gear case on both the JD and Simplicity?  Are they both the same?  Some of the lower end Simplicity models (8 hp) have the aluminum gear case.  The large frame models have the cast iron gear case and likely beefier gears.  All that stuff costs more.  So, the bigger Simplicity still might be a better buy.  I bought mine from a farm implement shop out in a little village not far from town.  It was the previous year's model and I got it for $1500.00 taxes included with trading in my very much used 12 year old Craftsman. 

I ended up buying the JD 928E this morning.  It does have the 305cc  Briggs.  I think it's basically the same machine as your Simplicity.  They certainly look the same and the key specs are identical. The chute rotation control & mechanism is different, the wheel/axle lock-up mechanism looks different, & different size tires seems to be all that is different.  Taxes in was $1446 CDN delivered for me. Thanks for your help :).  I hope I'm as happy with mine as you are with yours.

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42