Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > my05 Ariens 926 Pro backfires

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jagr

my05 Ariens 926 Pro backfires
Original Message   Nov 22, 2008 11:04 pm
Hi ,

I'm new here and trying to figure out what the heck happened to my blower.

Today was our first big snow of the season, and I had just finished changing the oil.

Fresh gas and away I went. After awhile the engine started to back fire then would quit after a bit. I let it sit for awhile but it is still doing it.

I do remember tilting the blower upwards at quite an angle when it was running to get it over the bank. Could the plug be fouled ??

I wanted to check the plug but it seems I've got to take the fuel tank off to get a socket in at the proper angle.

Final question....  is ther any online locations to access a service manual for this unit ??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia

Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jagr

Re: my05 Ariens 926 Pro backfires
Reply #2   Nov 23, 2008 7:06 am
Hello goofienewfie  !!

thanks for taking the time to reply....

I tried the two links but they don't seem to be active.

I already have the owners manual for my blower. What I'm searching for, is some info from a shop manual as to tank removal to get at the spark plug.  I tried to get a shop/service manual from an Ariens dealer but couldn't get one.

It seems an awkward design to have to remove the gas tank just to change plugs. 

From what I've read these blowers seem to have a good rep for durability.

I had a few issues with bolts coming loose when I first got it. Also my wheels always seem to be oozing a brown lubricant from the outside hub after every use. Not sure if this is normal or possibly a seal leak.

I took a chance and spent more on this brand as most others seemed to have a lot of plastic parts ( chute, levers etc)

I guess time will tell, but for now I just what to get this problem over with.

I'm hoping that changing the plug will solve the backfire and loss of power issue. I'm hoping it's not the motor.

Thanks again ,

Jim

Snowmann

Reply #3   Nov 23, 2008 10:46 am
What model 926 Pro do you have? Briggs or Tecumseh powered? I can assure you that you don't need to remove the fuel tank to get at the plug for either. I don't recall exactly, but you might have to remove a panel on the heater box to get at the plug.

You're looking for a Tecumseh or Briggs service manual, not an Ariens manual. The engine company is accountable for the procedural service recommendations.

Lastly, that brown seepage from the hubs might be rust. You should remove the wheels and grease the axles to prevent seizure. Anti-seize should have been installed at the factory, but perhaps you should still have a look.

PK
borat

Reply #4   Nov 23, 2008 11:46 am
When did the machine start to back fire?  Is it a very recent problem?  If so, I say that it's more than likely fuel related.  Don't bother messing with the spark plug.  If the machine was running fine before the back firing problem, it's very unlikely that it has anything to do with your electrics. You might look for a worn spark plug wire where it may have abraded against an edge.  But that's all I'd do for now electrically.  Experience tells me that there's a good chance you have dirty fuel.  Possibly water in it as well.  First thing I'd do is drain the fuel tank into a clear receptacle and let it settle,  Look for water/debris.  Pull the float bowl off the carb and inspect contents for same.  Don't expect to find a shovel full of gravel in either carb or fuel tank.  All it takes is one tiny little speck to cause problems.  if you find water, just change the fuel.  If you find dirt, a thorough flushing of the fuel tank will be required and possibly dismantling & cleaning of the carb.  I'd just change the fuel first to see how it runs.  If the problem persists, a thorough carb cleaning will be in order.   
This message was modified Nov 23, 2008 by borat
jagr

Reply #5   Nov 23, 2008 1:36 pm
thanks for everyone's feedback. It is 926 Pro  from 2005 with a Tecumseh engine.

the angle of the plug in place does not allow enough room for a socket  beneath the side of the tank. The tank def. has to be loosened to get a plug wrench in place.

I never thought of rust as that brown lube or oil was present right from when I bought the unit new.

I'l changed the fuel and see what happens. Then the plug if need be.

Thanks again..

Snowmann

Reply #6   Nov 23, 2008 9:25 pm
Check the throttle stop as well to make sure there is nothing shorting it out when the unit is running.
Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42