Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > snow throwing distance??need help...

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikiewest

snow throwing distance??need help...
Original Message   Oct 3, 2008 10:56 pm
Which snowthrower has the best snow throwing distance be it wet,2 inches or 5 inches??need to toss the snow long distances....
Replies: 15 - 24 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
steelers

Re: snow throwing distance??need help...
Reply #15   Nov 11, 2008 7:58 pm
borat, love the pics too.

How does the 9528 throw against the wind? I'll have to fight the wind about every time out to avoid the neighbor's driveway. I'm looking at the Simplicity 1428 (Toro and Ariens too)

I think the 9528 you have is now the 1428 to account for the Briggs torque rating.

Thanks
Adam
borat

Reply #16   Nov 11, 2008 8:46 pm
It will throw more  snow into the wind than your face can handle.  Doesn't really matter what machine you're using.  Snow is snow and wind is wind.  When I have to move snow into the wind, I lower the deflector as low as possible but still able put the snow where I want it.   Light snow in wind is particularly bad.  Wet snow is nowhere near as difficult to work with in the wind but it brings it's own limitations to the job.   
Snowmann

Reply #17   Nov 11, 2008 10:03 pm
coasteray wrote:
Snowmann:  How long has Ariens been using the dual belts for the auger drive?  Any particular models within recent years, or the whole line?  Thanks.

All 921,XXX and 926,XXX models built in the last 2 seasons.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #18   Nov 12, 2008 1:04 am
steelers wrote:
I don't see a 11.5 horse with a 24 inch intake width on Ariens site. Anyone know the model number on this?

Thanks
Adam

Steelers, I just came across what I think is your model in question, except that it is an 11HP Ariens 1124DLE, from 2003 or 2004, not 11.5HP.  At any rate, check this site:

http://www.kensserviceandsales.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=12895#detail

The link works; I just tried it.  They also have another model, the 8524DLE (8.5HP, 24"), found by clicking on the little menu box to the right of the picture of the 1124DLE.   They both have a differential with a lockout knob on the left wheel.

I don't have any idea if Ken's Sales and Service even has these blowers, or why they are even on their web site after 4 or 5 years.  At least you can get the information.  Copy the pictures and text to your computer for future reference.   Let us know what happens.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Snowmann

Reply #19   Nov 12, 2008 1:59 pm
Not sure why you would buy new a product from half a decade ago. There have been many advancements since then. The more recent units with a high power density relative to width are:

Ariens 926010 ST11526DLE Briggs powered (11.5hp 26" wide)

Ariens 926012 ST1328DLE Briggs powered (13hp 28" wide)

This message was modified Nov 12, 2008 by Snowmann
trouts2

Reply #20   Nov 12, 2008 6:48 pm
   I've got a 1124DLE Pro and it's a duzy.   I have not had it tossing snow but it does an excellent job on New England leaves.   This one at least is a 2004 model and the factory number is 924122.  The engine is a Tecumseh OHV 11.5 and sounds like a standard L-head which is a little dissapointing.  I thought it would like like a Honda.

Going on side by side, same day, same conditions tests I've found all 8hp, Ariens, Toro and MTD (with decent motors comression wise) throwing about the same distance.  The Ariens and Toro have a slight advantage in higher or packed snow as the MTD is pretty light and the first to lift it's bucket when things get tough.  For testing I often throw against the cemetary maintenance guy's machine which is a 15 year old 8hp Honda track.  It's awsome and out tosses whatever I put against it in the same hp range.  For any loose or fresh snow no matter the height the Honda wins.  It does not do as well into EOD piles.   On long straight runs he always wins by a good margin and out tosses me while doing it.  His Honda is a fearsome snow-eater with a great engine.  I think augers turn at 130 RPM and the impeller faster also than Toro, Ariens or MTD.  I think they turn at 1200 impeller and 120 auger.

trouts2    

This message was modified Nov 12, 2008 by trouts2
steelers

Reply #21   Nov 12, 2008 8:18 pm
coasteray wrote:
Steelers, I just came across what I think is your model in question, except that it is an 11HP Ariens 1124DLE, from 2003 or 2004, not 11.5HP.  At any rate, check this site:

Thanks coastery. 
goofienewfie

Ariens 1130DLE

Reply #22   Nov 13, 2008 9:17 am
borat wrote:
It will throw more  snow into the wind than your face can handle.  Doesn't really matter what machine you're using.  Snow is snow and wind is wind.  When I have to move snow into the wind, I lower the deflector as low as possible but still able put the snow where I want it.   Light snow in wind is particularly bad.  Wet snow is nowhere near as difficult to work with in the wind but it brings it's own limitations to the job.   

lol... I have to say, this is one of the first post on here that made me laugh.  Mostly because its so true.  If blowing in the wind, if the deflector is not low, then expect your face to freeze.  Even with the deflector low some times it can be tricky.   Borat I seen in your pictures that you have a snow cab on your machine. How do you find that? Approximately how high does it make your machine? wondering how much problems it would create for me coming in and out of shed and how much I would have to tip it back to do so. 
This message was modified Nov 13, 2008 by goofienewfie

Cheers
Goofie Newfie
borat

Reply #23   Nov 13, 2008 11:04 am
goofienewfie wrote:
lol... I have to say, this is one of the first post on here that made me laugh.  Mostly because its so true.  If blowing in the wind, if the deflector is not low, then expect your face to freeze.  Even with the deflector low some times it can be tricky.   Borat I seen in your pictures that you have a snow cab on your machine. How do you find that? Approximately how high does it make your machine? wondering how much problems it would create for me coming in and out of shed and how much I would have to tip it back to do so. 

Did you ever get that stubborn wheel off? 

My snow cab might be around 6'6" at the top.  It's a quick release model and comes off the machine easily.  I put an eye bolt in the top center of the frame and I have a small overhead pully on the ceiling in my garage that I use to store the unit during the summer.  The ceiling is aroun 11 feet or so and with the cab hiked up to the top, I can walk under it with no problems.  As far as effectiveness, all I can say is that it works.  It has to be a bad day before I'll use it though.  I prefer to work without it.  Usually I'll go out and start clearing the snow.  After a few freezing face melts, I smarten up and put the cab on.  It seems that I have to take some punishment  before I start thinking straight.   The unit I have is top notch.  It's made by Classic.  I ordered it from the U.S. for $89.00 late last year.   Tried to buy it locally.  Dealer said he could order one in for me at a cost of $250.00.  NOT!  Wicked gouger.  Here's a link:  http://www.classicaccessories.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=112&cid=0

This message was modified Nov 13, 2008 by borat
Moderator Denis

Reply #24   Nov 14, 2008 11:46 am
borat wrote:

Borat

Yeah! the best citation I've ever heard about snow. Borat you touch the point very clearly, wind, snow, ice, those are incontrolable, 

We can choose the snowblower we want but we do not choose the kind of snow that is going to fall!!

Replies: 15 - 24 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42