Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > BCS 2-wheel tractor Mainline tiller Model 715 (1978-83 vintage) with Italian ACME 8hp. Given up the ghost?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Underdog

BCS 2-wheel tractor Mainline tiller Model 715 (1978-83 vintage) with Italian ACME 8hp. Given up the ghost?
Original Message   Nov 2, 2008 2:10 pm
I don't really need another project this winter but could anyone tell me if this BCS tiller is worth putting some time into? Right now all I know is that the cylinder in the italian (Acme) 8hp engine does not seem to move at all. There is what smells like diesel fuel on the top of the cylinder when you pull the sparkplug.  I checked the reviews on this web page and the new models seem to have satisfied owners.  I don't really need the snowblower part that came with it. Just the tiller. Any thoughts/comments/concerns are welcome. If you know the vintage of the unit that would be of interest to me.  The tires have a few very small cracks (where the wheels sat for a long time without much air)  but nothing that would concern me.  I don't have any information from the previous owner other than it's been in the family a long time, sat in a barn in VT, and the engine is siezed up.  It uses one of those oil bath air filters.  It has three forward speeds and one speed reverse. Would an inexpensive chinese (honda knockoff) 8hp bolt right on?

This message was modified Nov 6, 2008 by Underdog

Replies: 25 - 34 of 45Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Underdog

No spark on the Italian Acme 9hp engine
Reply #25   Nov 5, 2008 10:22 pm
Since the box was open, I cleaned the points while I was in there.  They seemed to be in very good shape.  I cleaned them with a small emery cloth and then checked the gap with a spark plug gap tool.  The gap was within spec so I just left it alone.  What about the condensor?  Those are still available for this model. 

Underdog

Dropped the carb bowl
Reply #26   Nov 5, 2008 10:28 pm
The bowl was removed from the carb. The float works as it should and fuel fills the bowl.  I was able to confirm the correct position for the choke control and for the fuel line shut off (opposite of what I had thought before). The bowl had some crud in the base but nothing terrible.  It is soaking in carb cleaner now. The float did not seem to have any holes in it. 
This message was modified Nov 5, 2008 by Underdog

friiy

Re: BCS 2-wheel tractor Mainline tiller snowblower Model 715 (1978-83 vintage)
Reply #27   Nov 5, 2008 11:34 pm
Have you tried a diffrent plug?

I see (I think ) three wires going to the points..

one should go to the condenser     

one should go to the coil. (under the blower housing)     

The third should go to the remote kill swich on the tiller handlebars...

This is what you see correct?

make sure the wire going to the remote kill is disconnected and the rest are hooked up. 

Do you see the points moving ? (I have seen the plunger gum up and stick / slow down)

Is there a wire that goes down to the throttle linkage with a kill tab on it?  The kill tab is make to ground out if the throttle is pulled back below idle.. If so,  make sure it is not grounding out..

Friiy

friiy

Reply #28   Nov 5, 2008 11:39 pm
Do you have a volt/ ohm meter?...   with the points open check to make sure there is no continuity to ground from  the wires connection..

Friiy

Underdog

Reply #29   Nov 6, 2008 9:07 am
friiy wrote:
Have you tried a diffrent plug?
I see (I think ) three wires going to the points..
one should go to the condenser   
one should go to the coil. (under the blower housing)  
The third should go to the remote kill swich on the tiller handlebars...
This is what you see correct?
Make sure the wire going to the remote kill is disconnected and the rest are hooked up. 
Do you see the points moving ? (I have seen the plunger gum up and stick / slow down)
Is there a wire that goes down to the throttle linkage with a kill tab on it?  The kill tab is make to ground out if the throttle is pulled back below idle.. If so,  make sure it is not grounding out..y
Have you tried a diffrent plug? YES, no change

I see (I think ) three wires going to the points..one should go to the condenser...one should go to the coil. (under the blower housing) ...The third should go to the remote kill swich on the tiller handlebars...This is what you see correct? make sure the wire going to the remote kill is disconnected and the rest are hooked up. 
YES, this is correct. I took the picture just before removing the kill switch wire.  I needed a photo because I was worried about getting everything back the way it was. To remove the kill switch wire you need to completely remove the screw that holds the spring to the points and the other two wires.  The other wires just slide out but the kill switch is a "captive" connection so you have  to remove the screw.  I did that and then put the two wires back on for the condensor and the coil. All the wires looked to be in good shape. No rotted out insulation or anything like that.

Yes, as I pulled the starter I could watch the points come together and then pull apart.

Is there a wire that goes down to the throttle linkage with a kill tab on it?  The kill tab is made to ground out if the throttle is pulled back below idle.. If so,  make sure it is not grounding out.. No, there it to kill on teh throttle linkage

Underdog

Reply #30   Nov 6, 2008 9:20 am
friiy wrote:
Do you have a volt/ ohm meter?...   with the points open check to make sure there is no continuity to ground from  the wires connection..

Thank you.  Yes, I do have a volt/olm meter. It is a very small battery powered meter that I have used on electronics. And yes, the meter has a continuity setting on it.  So I should rotate the engine until the points are open and then I shoud take take the two leads from the meter and  I should put one of the leads on the points/bracket where the wires would normally attach  and then touch the other lead to the aluminum engine block? Is this correct? When set on "continuity" the meter beeps when it detects a continuous circuit.  So I should not hear a beep if everything is working correctly, right?

friiy

Reply #31   Nov 6, 2008 4:57 pm
What you stated is true,  but you should have the coil-to-points wire disconnected to test...

you should be able to see the points open and close on the meter as you slowly turn over the motor..

There is a Tecumseh engine service manual on the site as a link... The ignition troubleshooting (points and coil) are the same,   except shape and location..  if you read the chaper (just a few pages) it will give you a great understanding of how the system works and how to troubleshoot..

I still think nothing is wrong with it... just something is shorted or grounded..

If I could have  a dollar for every person that tried to buy a coil or magneto from me to repair their  " ignition problem"..   I would never have to ask the wife for beer money again..

. hahaha

Good luck

Friiy

Underdog

Trouble shooting ignition (what is an "ignition module that needs an air gap"
Reply #32   Nov 6, 2008 6:42 pm

Underdog

error
Reply #33   Nov 6, 2008 7:33 pm

friiy

Reply #34   Nov 6, 2008 8:52 pm
That is more for elctronic ignition than points....

also alot of that is nonsense as for as  (checking magnet strengh and coil to flywheel airgap )  and so on.  The thought I have is , no one has butchered into this machine yet... as far as taking this thing apart and putting it back together and really screwing things up..  I would keep troubleshooting as though the machine did not start one day...not like someone brought it to you in a box.

Magnets do not dissipate unless exposed to EXTREME Heat,   EXTREME current flow. (like a shorting a battery through the flywheel for a minute). 

Friiy

Replies: 25 - 34 of 45Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42