Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Some hints if you are in the market for a snowblower!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DSIMONE1

Some hints if you are in the market for a snowblower!
Original Message   Nov 2, 2008 10:53 am
First off you have to ask yourself some questions like how long is the driveway, how much snow will I need to move and how far, is the driveway flat or a steep incline, what are your physical attributes-how big of a machine are you capable of handling?

There are so many brands out there but many are manufactured by the same companies. I would certainly consider a machine that has a history of reliability and also the ability to get parts fairly easy. Keep in mind there are "snowblowers" and "snowthrowers". I prefer a "snowblower". There are single stage and two stage- again my own preference is the two stage. The horsepower is a definite factor as you want to have enough power for those heavy wet snows. Personally, I would not consider anything less than a 6-8 horsepower machine preferrably the 8. Then, the incline issue. I would definitely want a "power driven" machine unless you have a lot of muscle power of your own! There are quite a few varieties but a differential lock allows you to use one or both wheels in power mode. The engine too, has it's features but most of those issues are preference. I like Briggs and Stratton because parts are readily available just about anywhere. I'm not saying the other engines are not as good but may not be as easy to get a part in an emergency. Again, it's preference. Another thing you might observe is the construction of the machine, location of controls, electric start vs manual start etc.

I own a (90's) John Deere TRS32 which is a 10HP snowblower! My reason for choice is that I also own a Scotts lawn tractor which is built by John Deere and parts are readily available all the time in my area (Farming country) I had owned some others like a Simplicity that too me was a total piece of JUNK- maybe they are better made these days as I'm going back into the 70's. I know from other folks that the Ariens, Toro, and Troy-Built are very good machines also. However, what made up my mind was seeing the John Deere in action in a heavy wet snow and watching others struggle with their brands. My John Deere never hesitates! It will walk right through the area at the end of the driveway where the plows pile up 6 feet of snow on you! I don't have to stop and take a little and back-up and all that stuff! 1st gear and away goes the snow!

I'm not an expert but just my own opinion and experiences hopefully will help some folks make a decision. Keep in mind all those Walmart, K-Mart, Sears, Lowes, Home Depots, etc sell you the machine at a slightly lower price but when you need parts--------------that's another story-------especially if it's one of the cheap store brands built by MTD or Murray etc. Better of with a local dealer--------he also knows how to fix them which is a major plus for those of you who haven't a clue!

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
borat

Re: Some hints if you are in the market for a snowblower!
Reply #1   Nov 2, 2008 1:22 pm
You might be surprised to learn that your JD snowthrower may have possibly been manufactured by Simplicity.      There are a number of brand names that put their badge on generic machines built by MTD, Simplicity/Snapper etc.   Husqvarna & JD are two that I know of for sure.  I wonder if JD actually ever made a snow thrower?

I'm not a brand loyalist.   However, I do know first rate quality when I see it.  My Simplicity 9528 that I bought last year, is built as good as anything out there - regardless of price.

GaryBy

Reply #2   Nov 2, 2008 11:51 pm
DSIMONE1 wrote:
There are so many brands out there but many are manufactured by the same companies. I would certainly consider a machine that has a history of reliability and also the ability to get parts fairly easy. Keep in mind there are "snowblowers" and "snowthrowers". I prefer a "snowblower".
There's no standardization on these terms.  Ariens uses the Snow-Thro brand name,  John Deere uses snowthrower,  Toro uses snowthrower on their home products page, but then uses snowblowers.  The real distinction is between single stage and dual stage.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #3   Nov 5, 2008 3:34 am
It's also good to know that Tecumseh's engines (that division is owned by Platinum Equities) will no longer be produced after December 15, 2008.   Ariens will probably issue information before the end of this year about parts availability for the future; also about service and warranty.   Briggs and Stratton will come out very well on this whole situation.
This message was modified Nov 5, 2008 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
borat

Reply #4   Nov 5, 2008 5:03 pm
When I was shopping for a snow thrower last year, I looked at a used two year old 13 h.p., 36" Ariens machine.  It looked virtually new and I was preparing to buy it.  Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the Tecumseh OHV engine had been worked on.  I asked the dealer if he had taken the engine apart and he said he hadn't.  I pointed out to him that the valve cover bolts were not the same as standard bolts used for that purpose.  Close inspection also revealed marred screws and bolts and some scratches on painted surfaces that would not normally occur.   He agreed that it appeared that the engine had been worked on and that it may have been done at another shop without his knowledge.  My take on this is that with a high quality machine in almost show room condition being for sale at less than half the cost of a new one, and an engine that appeared to have been dismantled, there might be a problem with Tecumseh OHV engines.  I know that I shouldn't be making my conclusions based on the observations of one engine.  However, my gut instincts tell me otherwise.  To this day, I'm glad I passed it up.  Personally, I don't want to see Tecumseh go down the tubes.  Competition keep prices in line.  Not that there aren't enough small engine manufacturers out there.  Particularly top quality Japanese outfits and also some very good domestic brands such as Kohler and Robyn.  Not too sure about Robyn anymore.  I read somewhere that Subaru had bought them out.  So, despite the fact that there will be one less domestic small engine manufacturer, I doubt that Briggs & Stratton will be increasing the price of their products.   
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42