Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ARIENS 924DLE vs. ARIENS 927LE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ALIFREDO

ARIENS 924DLE vs. ARIENS 927LE
Original Message   Oct 30, 2008 2:40 pm
I've got a flat driveway that's approx 75' in length. Do I really need the automnatic traction control on the 924DLE or is the Fingerttip Remote Lock/Unlokck on the 927LE adequate? How about for a woman to operate? Manay thanks!
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
snowblowerguy

Re: ARIENS 924DLE vs. ARIENS 927LE
Reply #2   Oct 31, 2008 9:52 pm
not really worth the extra money. i have the 927le($899 at home depot 10%off) it handles better than my 5 hp plastic piece of  junk i had before, even though it weighs 200 lbs more. I have heard the auto traction control(dle) models only drive one wheel sometimes and that can lead to harder turning. If you do go for the 924dle just get the 1130dle for less money. the reason is the 924 is a limited edition so why pay more (unless you plan to collect them).
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #3   Nov 7, 2008 5:07 am
snowblowerguy wrote:
not really worth the extra money. i have the 927le($899 at home depot 10%off) it handles better than my 5 hp plastic piece of  junk i had before, even though it weighs 200 lbs more. I have heard the auto traction control(dle) models only drive one wheel sometimes and that can lead to harder turning. If you do go for the 924dle just get the 1130dle for less money. the reason is the 924 is a limited edition so why pay more (unless you plan to collect them).

Snowblowerguy: 

Where did you see this information about the Auto Traction Control feature on the DLE's?  That would be interesting to read.  This feature is supposed to change between two-wheel drive and differential drive automatically by sensing when to change.  Don't know how that works, but then I guess I need to learn more about it.  I don't understand how it could only drive one wheel.  Is this perhaps just a misunderstanding by someone about how this system works?  It seems highly incongruous that Ariens would allow such a problem in their product line.
This message was modified Nov 7, 2008 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Harold

Reply #4   Nov 9, 2008 8:28 am
I'll chime in here.

Also bought the one wheel drive $800 model on year end clearance.  If I had a chance to use it, for sure it would have been returned.

The machine worked great, threw snow far and was a pleasure to use.  Except for turning it.  There's a choice of pin drive for both wheels, or either of one wheel.  Both wheel drive was impossible to turn, and one wheel drive makes it want to lean into one direction and requires constant strength to keep it going straight.

Either way, it requires a lot of energy to be expended controlling it.  A snow blower, for me, is something which should make life easier.  It's only because the extreme difficulty that I'm taking a significant loss selling it and buying another that's easier to maneuver.  I suppose a younger operator than I would have no problem with it, and wonder what I'm referring to, but if you're like me and looking for something to make your life easier, this pin drive ISN'T for you.

Disapointing that Ariens would design a machine making it appear easy to use that really isn't. 
borat

Reply #5   Nov 9, 2008 9:56 am
Can't expect too many convenience features in an eight hundred dollar machine.   You only get what you pay for.  On the other end of that spectrum, you can certainly pay too much for a machine that offers no more than machines priced hundreds of dollars less.  Toro & Honda come to mind.  Waaaay too much money for what they offer.
This message was modified Nov 9, 2008 by borat
steelers

Reply #6   Nov 10, 2008 5:44 pm
So does this mean the Ariens 927LE unlocks only one wheel? I was just playing around with the Simplicity 1428 and it seemed that when I engaged the trigger, both wheels moved freely.  It wasn't running, so maybe the behavior is different when fired up.
Harold

Reply #7   Nov 10, 2008 8:09 pm
It has a pin that snaps through each axle.  Either the left or the right or both can be in place.

It's a real PITA to remove or insert a pin while using the machine as the wheels are typically infused with snow and ice and the operators hands need to be ungloved which makes regloving now wet and cold hands unbearable.

So the machine will pull to the right if that pin is engaged, or it'll pull to the left if that pin is engaged or it'll pull out the operators back if both pins are engaged.  Actually, any way it's run stinks as it'll pull out the operators back if one pin is engaged as he (or she) tries to keep it going straight.

Can't recommend one at all because of that.  But it sure does a great job blowing snow!
borat

Reply #8   Nov 10, 2008 8:25 pm
The trigger on the Simplicity releases one wheel only.  It's incredible how easily the machine (any machine) will turn with just one wheel engaged.  I had two old Craftsman machines that had the pins on the wheels.  They were both kept perpetually in two wheel drive for the entire time I owned them.   It was a wrestling match for twenty years.  Still a lot easier than shoveling tons upon tons of snow.  If you find the machine you have a bit too much to handle, you should seriously look at getting something with a trigger release.  Now that I have one with it, I'm spoiled.   As well equipped as the Simplicity is, this has to be one of it's best features.   
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #9   Nov 11, 2008 3:17 pm
steelers wrote:
So does this mean the Ariens 927LE unlocks only one wheel? I was just playing around with the Simplicity 1428 and it seemed that when I engaged the trigger, both wheels moved freely.  It wasn't running, so maybe the behavior is different when fired up.

I was wondering how the Ariens 927LE "Fingertip Remote Lock/Unlock" feature worked.  Their brochures and web site say nothing, and it's hard to find the information elsewhere short of coming to a forum. 

Anyway, I stopped by Home Depot a few days ago and saw that they just received a new shipment of the 927LE, so I took a look at the manual hanging in the plastic bag.  I took a cell phone photo of the part about the "Fingertip Remote Lock/Unlock".  Here's the direct quote from the blower's manual:

"Squeeze and release the remote wheel lock control to lock the left wheel for better
     traction when throwing snow or to unlock the left wheel for easier steering.
     NOTE:  The wheel lock will not release when under load.  Do not unlock the wheel 
     while turning.  If the wheel lock will not release, turn the unit slightly left or right to
     relieve axle load and release the axle lock.
     If remote wheel lock does not lock or unlock properly, adjust or repair before
     operation."

That's it.  It seems like you have to stop the blower's motion before using the lever.  So you get dual-wheel operation when moving, but after you stop and squeeze the lever, you have independent wheel movement to re-position the blower.  Then you squeeze the lever again to re-engage dual-wheel operation.  At least that's my interpretation.  Whatever, it's better than being stuck with nothing but dual-wheel motion even when you are trying to re-position the blower.  I've done that with the low-end Husqvarna at work, and must say that it is a real pain and not at all convenient.
This message was modified Nov 11, 2008 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #10   Nov 11, 2008 3:29 pm
borat wrote:
The trigger on the Simplicity releases one wheel only.  It's incredible how easily the machine (any machine) will turn with just one wheel engaged.  I had two old Craftsman machines that had the pins on the wheels.  They were both kept perpetually in two wheel drive for the entire time I owned them.   It was a wrestling match for twenty years.  Still a lot easier than shoveling tons upon tons of snow.  If you find the machine you have a bit too much to handle, you should seriously look at getting something with a trigger release.  Now that I have one with it, I'm spoiled.   As well equipped as the Simplicity is, this has to be one of it's best features.   

Borat, I've been wondering about your Simplicity.  As you keep moving along forward, can you squeeze your trigger and instantly go into the one-wheel operation (unlike the Ariens 927LE, where you apparently have to stop before squeezing the lever to re-position the blower, then squeeze again to re-engage both wheels to move again--info is from their manual)?  If you CAN keep moving while using the trigger, then I assume left-turning is fairly simple, but is it difficult to keep it going straight with only one wheel, and then what about turning right?  Wouldn't that be sort of hard with the right wheel going full speed?

borat

Reply #11   Nov 11, 2008 5:18 pm
coasteray wrote:
Borat, I've been wondering about your Simplicity.  As you keep moving along forward, can you squeeze your trigger and instantly go into the one-wheel operation (unlike the Ariens 927LE, where you apparently have to stop before squeezing the lever to re-position the blower, then squeeze again to re-engage both wheels to move again--info is from their manual)?  If you CAN keep moving while using the trigger, then I assume left-turning is fairly simple, but is it difficult to keep it going straight with only one wheel, and then what about turning right?  Wouldn't that be sort of hard with the right wheel going full speed?

The wheel release mechanism is a cogged coupler.  When engaged, the cogs are coupled together.  Like splaying your fingers on each hand then putting your fingers together, end to end.  While under load, it is difficult to disengage the cogs.  Therefore, it is not recommended to release/engage the wheel while under load.  The strain on the cable will cause problems sooner or later.  I have however done it although not purposely.  It will disengage under load but reluctantly.  The best method is to stop the machine, disengage/engage the wheel and continue with the job. 
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42