Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 924DLE vs 1130DLE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
odjboy

Ariens 924DLE vs 1130DLE
Original Message   Oct 29, 2008 1:10 pm
I have been looking at these two models. They seem to have identical features. Yet the larger (30 inch) and more powerful (11hp) 1130 DLE is priced almost the same as the smaller model. Can anyone tell me why? Are there some differences in quality I haven't noticed?
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Re: Ariens 924DLE vs 1130DLE
Reply #1   Oct 30, 2008 3:58 am
I got the Ariens 2008 snow blower product line-up brochure (18 pages) from my local OPE dealer.  In it is the big chart of all their blowers.  For these two models, the ONLY differences are the size of the engine (9hp vs. 11hp) and the size of the scoop (24" vs. 30").  ALL the other features are identical, including the L-Head engine. axle system, and drive system.  It's hard to explain such a close price difference between these two models except that the store/dealer you visited is perhaps pushing the bigger unit for some reason.  If you need the bigger size engine and scoop, then it sounds like a pretty good way to go.  I think it really depends on the size area you need to blow, and how much snow you receive.  Best wishes.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
oakville

Reply #2   Oct 30, 2008 5:53 pm
it's also likely that the 9hp and 11hp engines cost them almost the same amount, so their additional cost to build the bigger unit probably isn't much.

If you can fit the 1130 in your garage, get that one.

borat

Reply #3   Oct 30, 2008 8:54 pm
Speaking of power differences, I bought a Simplicity 9528 with B&S 9.5 h.p., 305cc engine.  I did a part number for part number comparison between the 9.5 h.p. and the 11 h.p. engine on components that could effect horse power.   All part numbers matched.  So, either the 9.5 is an 11 h.p. engine or the 11 h.p. engine is a 9.5.   I have owned two previous 10 h.p. machines.  This 9.5 outperforms those two 10 h.p. engines by quite a margin.  My thoughts are that if the engine displacement is the same and all part numbers match, engine operating rpm is the same,  it's probably making the same power output.   I suspect that the different "rating" is for marketing purposes.  Claiming the power is higher on certain models makes them look like a better machine and fetch a higher price. 
snowblowerguy

Reply #4   Oct 31, 2008 9:59 pm
The real reason behind this is the 924dle is a limited edition and you would have to be out of your mind to spend more for less
GaryBy

Reply #5   Nov 3, 2008 12:09 am
It's not so much that the 924DLE is a limited edition, but that it's only sold through dealers, while the 1130 DLE is sold both at dealers and big box stores. 

I think I've said it before, but the issues are roughly analogous (but not identical) to spending more to get a lighter weight laptop.  The extra width is probably more of an advantage than the extra HP, but it weighs ten pounds more, and would be harder to maneuver in tight spaces.  Two reasons we went with the 924DLE were a) we didn't want to ding our car doors against the snowblower, which has to fit between the two cars in the garage; and b) we have to clear a hairpin turn on a a steep grade to get at our oil fill tube.

But as someone else said, if you have the space and the maneuverability isn't an issue, go with the bigger one.
odjboy

Reply #6   Nov 3, 2008 1:03 pm
Thanks to all for your input.

I got the 924 DLE on Saturday, for some of the reasons stated (smaller, easier to manuever). Also because the first PED I stopped at was sold out and the next two I called were all out too. The first store said they had 40 of them when I stopped two weeks ago. Since it was such a "hot" item, I figured all those people couldn't be wrong.

Reporting from Milwaukee......

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42