Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > recommend a gas trimmer

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
oakville

recommend a gas trimmer
Original Message   Jun 19, 2008 11:20 am
Can anyone recommend a gas trimmer?  I've given up waiting for my electric to die, and i want the freedom of gas.  Looking for 4 stroke.

Thanks!

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
shadow745

Re: recommend a gas trimmer
Reply #1   Oct 28, 2008 1:04 pm
I can't comment much on 4-strokes as I've only used 2-strokes. I will go on to say I was at a Sears recently and took a good look at their Professional line of yard equipment. They had a really nice 4-stroke trimmer/brushcutter that was really well built and priced OK for the size/quality.

My all-time favorite trimmer is an older Sears 38cc brushcutter given to me by my dad. It's a bit large and heavy compared to today's models, but can cut right with anything I've seen and as long as it runs I'll be using it. Never had to buy a trimmer because of its durability and dependability. Later! 

chopper

Reply #2   Oct 28, 2008 3:24 pm
Stihl. One thing to remember, however, that was told to me by a golf course superintendent...He said always use the equipment manufacture's 2-cycle oil. if you buy a Stihl then use Stihl 2-cycle oil. If you buy a Homelite, then use Homelite 2-cycle oil. Personally I have owned my Stihl string trimmer for 12 years now and it runs like a top. Of course I have used Stihl oil though. I like to buy the "One Shot" small bottles...one bottle per gallon of gas so there is no measuring invovled. Hope this helps.
borat

Reply #3   Oct 28, 2008 5:54 pm
Not sure it I'd recommend  a four stroke.  You get considerably more power and a lighter weight machine with two stroke.  The new two stroke machines are very clean burning and fuel efficient now.  They have catalytic converters and better carburetion.  I own a Stihl and an Echo.  Both are good brands.  However, the Sthil cost more than double the price of the Echo and, in my opinion, isn't any better.  I use the Stihl at camp and have owned it for quite a few years.  The Echo sees more service because I use it at home where grass trimming is done every four days rather than every two weeks as it gets done at camp.   If I were to own just one machine, It would be an Echo. 

Regarding oil, there's now way I'll pay dealer prices for brand name oil.  That's a scam.  I've been using Canadian Tire (Imperial Oil) two stroke oil in all of my machines for thirty years.  Never had a machine fail in all of that time.  Any good quality two stroke oil designed for air cooled engines (not outboard oil), will do the job and a fraction of the cost.  Because I run old, restored vintage two stroke Yamaha motorcycles, I buy two stroke oil by the gallon.  Works out to be considerably less expensive.   I love my old bikes and wouldn't compromise their mechanical safety running less than suitable oil.   CTC oil is as good as any out there. 

chopper

Reply #4   Oct 29, 2008 7:49 am
Pay me now or pay me later. Stihl FS45 2-stroke for about $140.00  You can't go wrong for the price and the machine will last you four times as long compared to any you will find at "bargain" prices. And a One Shot bottle of Stihl 2-cycle oil for a whopping $2.00 added to a gallon of gasoline will more than likely last you a trimming season.
friiy

Reply #5   Oct 29, 2008 10:55 am
"....And a One Shot bottle of Stihl 2-cycle oil for a whopping $2.00 added to a gallon of gasoline will more than likely last you a trimming season."

And what would we all do about the rest of the yard?   One gallon will get around the fence line (on the outside)..

Friiy

chopper

Reply #6   Oct 29, 2008 4:07 pm
OK here we go...I don't know what you are doing with your gallon of fuel...maybe drinking it???? I am telling it like it is...I have an acre and a half and my Stihl trimmer with a gallon of gas that lasts me the season. And I use it around the entire yard once every two weeks. Oh, wait a minute, I'm sorry. You may have twice as much land and $4.00 may be more than you can handle.
This message was modified Oct 29, 2008 by chopper
borat

Reply #7   Oct 29, 2008 11:40 pm
Two bucks for four ounces?  Add another buck and a half,  you can get 16 oz.  Sounds like a no brainer to me. 

I'm surprised you can get a Stihl for $140.00.   Smacks of China????   Where are they built now?  The last Echo I bought was built in the U.S.A. with Japanese components.  Price was around $150.00 USD. 

This message was modified Oct 29, 2008 by borat
chopper

Reply #8   Oct 30, 2008 8:33 am
For God's sake men. It's just for the CONVENIENCE! If you guys want to measure and pour all your different formulas and put a couple bucks in your piggy banks, then have at it.
shadow745

Reply #9   Oct 30, 2008 10:47 am
I agree that any of the modern multi-ratio oil mixes will cover all the bases regardless of what a manufacturer recommends. Mix it at 40:1 and use in everything you have with just the 1 container. Later!
snowblowerguy

Reply #10   Nov 1, 2008 12:07 pm
stihl or husqvarna 2 stroke is better for trimmers 4 stroke trimmers are wayyy to heavy
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42