Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro snowblower creeps backwards at idle

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Europa

Toro snowblower creeps backwards at idle
Original Message   Sep 20, 2008 3:54 pm
Hi, I have a 3 year old Toro 1028 Power Max snowblower and after completing this years maintenance I noticed that it was creeping backwards while idle.

If I put it an any forward gear or reverse gear and move (either forward or backwards) once I take my hand off the throttle control the snowblower creeps ever so slowly backwards. Doesn't matter if I've got it in a forward or backward gear. I'm on level ground and I even turned the machine around to see if it was something as silly as gravity. Nope - always goes in reverse.

I've got the full shop manual and I've already adjusted the traction cable to spec and even tried adjusting in radically in and out - no difference at all. Still creeps.

Has anyone seen this before? Do you have any suggestions? And why does it always creep backwards even if it's in a forward gear?
Replies: 13 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Europa

Re: Toro snowblower creeps backwards at idle
Reply #13   Sep 28, 2008 3:02 pm
Okay I've taken the snowblower and stuck a mirror underneath and I can say with total confidence the drive plates aren't contacting - it's 100% vibration rocking the snowblower backwards. I also think I know why it suddenly started doing it. When I did my full maintenance I also lubed and greased the two chains that actually turn the wheels. In doing so I think I eliminated any friction that was there. Essentially, it's so lubed up the vibration is now enough to move the wheels. Oh well, at least I know for sure.
borat

Re: Toro snowblower creeps backwards at idle
Reply #14   Sep 30, 2008 12:25 pm
Good diagnostic work.  For a machine to idle up an incline due to vibration must be rattling quite a bit.   I had an old Craftsman with an L-head 10 h.p. Tecumseh engine that shook worse than a dog crapping razor blades.   My hands would go numb from the vibrations.  The new Simplicity with the B&S overhead valve engine is a pleasure to use by comparison. 
Replies: 13 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42