Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need advice on bent auger! John Deere 522

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cms5310

Need advice on bent auger! John Deere 522 <pictures added>
Original Message   Sep 27, 2008 1:18 pm
hi, while taking apart my old john deere 522 (simplicity 555) snowblower  i noticed that one of the auger blades was pretty badly bent. Any recommendations on how to straighten it ? thx, chuck

This message was modified Oct 9, 2008 by a moderator
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
borat

Re: Need advice on bent auger! John Deere 522
Reply #1   Sep 27, 2008 9:57 pm
If you posted a picture of the problem, it would help to determine which tools would be best for the job.  Possibly a clamp and/or a couple pair of large vice grips to hold one end/side of the auger and bend it back into shape.   Just be careful not to pop the auger shaft out of the end bushings or damage the auger drive gear seal. 
Moderator Denis

Re: Need advice on bent auger! John Deere 522 <pictures added>
Reply #2   Oct 9, 2008 12:24 pm
Pic now available!

borat

Reply #3   Oct 12, 2008 8:20 pm
That looks like a fairly simple fix if you haven't done so yet. 

I'd use a large crescent wrench or possibly two.  I often use this method to straighten thin gauge things.   Just put the wrench onto the piece and close it down until it's snug.  Then pull/push in the direction you need.  I find the wrench method to be quicker and cleaner than using pliers or vice grips.   

friiy

Reply #4   Oct 14, 2008 11:24 am
I think all you need to do is get it as close as possible without rubbing or hitting...   I don't think it would effect the unit at all or dynamic balance..

Good Luck from the Desert,

Friiy

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42