Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh OHV Snow King 11 hp - White residue in oil?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Xcessiv

Tecumseh OHV Snow King 11 hp - White residue in oil?
Original Message   Sep 26, 2008 1:49 pm
Hi,

Is it normal to have white residue in oil when starting it after a 6 months storage? Is this humidity or mechanical problem? This looks like milk.

Thank you.
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
friiy

Re: Tecumseh OHV Snow King 11 hp - White residue in oil?
Reply #1   Sep 26, 2008 6:41 pm
IF it is silver,  it may be that your engine is loosing weight..... (bearing surface on crank rod wearing away ,  or cylinder scoring due to heavy grit in oil)

My guess is that it was parked on the side of the house and the roof drained into air cleaner assy. or the crank case breather... filling the case with about a cup of water to mix with the oil.

Drain the oil and change, then run it till it's  hot  to boil out anymore water ...

Good luck,

Friiy

borat

Reply #2   Sep 26, 2008 8:26 pm
I've noticed white residue on the dipstick even during oil inspections between use in the winter.   It's actually an emulsion of oil and water.  Condensation gets into the oil and under normal operation, the oil will exceed the boiling point of water and evaporate the moisture out.  The vapour usually is ducted out of the crank case through the crank case ventilation tube and is routed to the carburetor intake area to be burnt off when inhaled by the engine during combustion.  I'd say that  a little residue is normal.  If you have a lot of it, chances are your engine oil was contaminated by ingestion of water via another source.  As recommended, change the oil and run the engine.  If it runs well and there is no visible blue smoke, the engine wasn't damaged.  If you have continuous blue smoke, the engine internals likely were damaged by the water either causing corrosion or, (and more likely), the water in the oil displacing or washing off the oil on friction surfaces.   
friiy

Reply #3   Sep 28, 2008 12:23 am
Does it look like residue or like a milkshake?

Friiy

Xcessiv

Reply #4   Sep 28, 2008 11:28 am
Milkshake.
friiy

Reply #5   Sep 28, 2008 10:08 pm
Ya....If you haven't already, get that out of there....then refill and run the crap out of it  and check it again...

At my old shop, we use to have customers kids fill there fuel tanks or oil dipsticks with water at time "playing" gas station, or washing them like dad..

Sometimes rain can get through the air cleaner assy of some types.   The foam Toros and old Craftsman were the worst for this if parked under a eve of the house during monsoon season.

Most likely it did no damage,  If  it starts to use or burn unusual amounts of oil you may have to replace rings early....

just as long as it was not a strawberry milkshake.

Good Luck,

Friiy

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #6   Sep 29, 2008 6:43 am
Over the past three winters I have had that milky stuff in the dipstick tube of my Ariens snowblower. As long as there is no other way that water is getting into the crankcase, I think this is a normal thing that is resulting from a bit of condensation that occurs in the crankcase.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
friiy

Reply #7   Sep 29, 2008 10:17 am
Maybe I misunderstod,   I thought you were he was talking about All the oil looking like a milkshake....

Friiy

Xcessiv

Reply #8   Sep 29, 2008 12:21 pm
Yes, sorry if my original question wasn't clear. I meant milkshake on the dip stick. The oil itself looks good.
Timothy35

Reply #9   Nov 29, 2008 6:32 pm
I have the same problem with my blower to, but I think that it is normal.

have a problem with one of the screws that hold the auger in place, there are four screw two on each side. Last winter I Made sure that the screws were tight but not to tight, I checked the screws today and one of them were stripped out but the other three were fine. I was just wondering if that would be a cause for concern?

Thanks for any in put

Tim from newfoundland

This message was modified Dec 1, 2008 by Timothy35
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42