Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro snowblower creeps backwards at idle

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Europa

Toro snowblower creeps backwards at idle
Original Message   Sep 20, 2008 3:54 pm
Hi, I have a 3 year old Toro 1028 Power Max snowblower and after completing this years maintenance I noticed that it was creeping backwards while idle.

If I put it an any forward gear or reverse gear and move (either forward or backwards) once I take my hand off the throttle control the snowblower creeps ever so slowly backwards. Doesn't matter if I've got it in a forward or backward gear. I'm on level ground and I even turned the machine around to see if it was something as silly as gravity. Nope - always goes in reverse.

I've got the full shop manual and I've already adjusted the traction cable to spec and even tried adjusting in radically in and out - no difference at all. Still creeps.

Has anyone seen this before? Do you have any suggestions? And why does it always creep backwards even if it's in a forward gear?
Replies: 4 - 13 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Europa

Re: Toro snowblower creeps backwards at idle
Reply #4   Sep 21, 2008 1:45 pm
I just don't like the idea of the snowblower being able to move on it's own. I'm sure that once the snow is down it won't actually be able to move on it's own, but still I'd correct it if I could.
ajallen

Reply #5   Sep 23, 2008 11:15 am
Other than the suggestions I've allready made i don't think there is any thing else to try. Have you tried increasing the RPM with the throttle?

AJ

oakville

Reply #6   Sep 23, 2008 1:44 pm
my 2 yr old ariens 926DLE does this as well.  it's not momentum - it will slowly back up a slope, whether at fast or slow idle, and it does so with some force.

i had it serviced and the dealer said there was nothing he could do.

Europa

Reply #7   Sep 23, 2008 5:09 pm
Yeah mine goes backwards with a certain degree of force, but if the plates aren't engaging how the hell can it happen? I might tip it on the bucket with the bottom plates off and actually see if I can see what's happening.
borat

Reply #8   Sep 26, 2008 8:48 pm
It sounds like the drive and friction disks are out of adjustment.  The minimum required clearance to obtain and maintain neutral with no pressure on the drive lever isn't sufficient.  While idling, the drive wheel is making slight  contact on the reverse side of the drive disk.  You can try to loosen off the drive lever cable to give a bit of slack.  If that doesn't do it, you'll have to go inside to make adjustments.  Your manual should provide you with the proper clearance specifications to make the correct adjustments.  Saying that nothing can be done about this problem is. well, incorrect.  It can be done and for safety reasons, it should be.  
Europa

Reply #9   Sep 27, 2008 8:36 pm
Borat, what you say makes sense - but it isn't the case. The gap is well within spec and I've checked the actual clearances myself and their fine. Also, it goes in reverse at idle while it's in any gear, I could have it in top gear and it sill goes reverse - there's no way there could be contact on the reverse section of the wheel. So it still doesn't explain it.
borat

Reply #10   Sep 27, 2008 9:43 pm
If, as you say ,  the machine will actually creep up an incline in reverse, that tells me that there must be power getting to the wheels to in order for it to do so.  Maybe you can tell us how the power is getting to the wheels if it's not via the drive system?  Not to challenge you, but it would appear that something is out of adjustment on the drive system.    
Europa

Reply #11   Sep 28, 2008 7:22 am
No, no. No offense taken. But you've hit the nail on the head. How can it go backwards if the it's in a forward gear? How can it move at all if there's clearance? I'm going to try and have another look today and see if I can see what's happening. The worst thing is that I've posted in several other forums and there's a lot of people with their snowblowers doing the exact same thing. Weird.
iLikeOrange

Reply #12   Sep 28, 2008 9:38 am
My 2005 926dle creeps also. The thing shakes more than a Go-Go dancer.

Europa

Reply #13   Sep 28, 2008 3:02 pm
Okay I've taken the snowblower and stuck a mirror underneath and I can say with total confidence the drive plates aren't contacting - it's 100% vibration rocking the snowblower backwards. I also think I know why it suddenly started doing it. When I did my full maintenance I also lubed and greased the two chains that actually turn the wheels. In doing so I think I eliminated any friction that was there. Essentially, it's so lubed up the vibration is now enough to move the wheels. Oh well, at least I know for sure.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42