Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2008 Toro 20092 Smoking on Warm Start-up/ Every Shut-down

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dave66

2008 Toro 20092 Smoking on Warm Start-up/ Every Shut-down
Original Message   Sep 15, 2008 2:37 pm

Hi All,

I have a 2008 Toro 20092 that has roughly 20 hours on it. I changed the oil an hour late (@ 6 hours) to Mobil1 10W30 but before I did this, the engine began to smoke around 5 hours after being used on any shut-down & warm start-up. From a cold start, there is never any smoke but always on shut-down & warm start. There is a little oil in the lower left-hand corner of the air filter as well. Any thoughts? Btw, there is just a tiny amount of smoke but I would expect none on a machine this new & oil level is fine also.

Thanks,

Dave

Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
dave66

Re: 2008 Toro 20092 Smoking on Warm Start-up/ Every Shut-down
Reply #2   Sep 16, 2008 4:36 am
Thanks for your response & here is mine:

Has this mower ever been tipped on it's side?

- Yes to change the oil but it smoked prior to doing this & it was not tipped on the air cleaner side.

Also if the engine overfilled with oil (most briggs engines of that series use only 20 or 22 ozs) which can cause a misting of oil through the breather line from the engine..

- Checked this on multiple occasions, no dice.

Briggs a few years ago had a service letter stating that multi-weight oils were not advised due to increased engine oil consumption, no harm just uses more oil.. They recommened straight 30 weight  oil.

- I have also read this but my consumption seems to fine.

I would take your air cleaner off and check for oil saturation... if so check oil level and replace filter...

- There is a tiny amount in the corner.

Replies: 2 - 2 of 2Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42