Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2008 Toro 20092 Smoking on Warm Start-up/ Every Shut-down

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dave66

2008 Toro 20092 Smoking on Warm Start-up/ Every Shut-down
Original Message   Sep 15, 2008 2:37 pm

Hi All,

I have a 2008 Toro 20092 that has roughly 20 hours on it. I changed the oil an hour late (@ 6 hours) to Mobil1 10W30 but before I did this, the engine began to smoke around 5 hours after being used on any shut-down & warm start-up. From a cold start, there is never any smoke but always on shut-down & warm start. There is a little oil in the lower left-hand corner of the air filter as well. Any thoughts? Btw, there is just a tiny amount of smoke but I would expect none on a machine this new & oil level is fine also.

Thanks,

Dave

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
friiy

Re: 2008 Toro 20092 Smoking on Warm Start-up/ Every Shut-down
Reply #1   Sep 15, 2008 11:42 pm
Has this moer ever been tipped on it's side?   If the mower is tipped carb/air cleaner side down the engine breather can leal oil on you air cleaner and make it  "puff" or flat out fogg for mosquitoes..  Also if the engine overfilled with oil (most briggs engines of that series use only 20 or 22 ozs) which can cause a misting of oil through the breather line from the engine..  Briggs a few years ago had a service letter stating that multi-weight oils were not advised due to increased engine oil consumption, no harm just uses more oil..    They recommened straight 30 weight  oil.

I would take your air cleaner off and check for oil saturation... if so check oil level and replace filter...

Good Luck,

Friiy

dave66

Re: 2008 Toro 20092 Smoking on Warm Start-up/ Every Shut-down
Reply #2   Sep 16, 2008 4:36 am
Thanks for your response & here is mine:

Has this mower ever been tipped on it's side?

- Yes to change the oil but it smoked prior to doing this & it was not tipped on the air cleaner side.

Also if the engine overfilled with oil (most briggs engines of that series use only 20 or 22 ozs) which can cause a misting of oil through the breather line from the engine..

- Checked this on multiple occasions, no dice.

Briggs a few years ago had a service letter stating that multi-weight oils were not advised due to increased engine oil consumption, no harm just uses more oil.. They recommened straight 30 weight  oil.

- I have also read this but my consumption seems to fine.

I would take your air cleaner off and check for oil saturation... if so check oil level and replace filter...

- There is a tiny amount in the corner.

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42