Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > to keep or not to keep

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jdaggett

to keep or not to keep
Original Message   Aug 7, 2008 8:08 pm
I have a TRS 26 John Deere from about 1994. It has been well maintained but it's a bit too big for me to move up and down our driveway. I'm a bit tired of the recoil start as well. I just inherited it about 5-6 years ago. I live in New England and it comes in very handy but since its hard for me to use I resort to sholving our 80' long driveway when I don't feel like dealing. My question is - how much is it worth and what do you think I should consider replacing it with? Or do I have a good machine that I need to learn how to work with better. Looking for some advice.
thanks
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
niper99

Re: to keep or not to keep
Reply #1   Aug 10, 2008 1:21 am
just my two cents, l personally would learn how to use it better but if its harder than shoveling a 80' driveway !!!!!!
borat

Reply #2   Aug 11, 2008 8:13 pm
Anyone who would prefer to shovel an 80' driveway rather than use a snow thrower is either an exercise fanatic or a sucker for punishment.  Or, the machine is in very poor operating condition.  I have a 110' by  22' driveway on a ten degree grade.  I use a 28" Simplicity snow thrower with an 11 h.p. engine.  Believe me, if the machine is in proper working order, ( mine is) ,  it makes the job a pleasure to do.  The B&S snow engine starts first pull every time, runs quiet and smoothly.  Trying to shovel eight inches of wet snow off of a driveway that size would take several hours if it didn't kill me first.  Have your machine checked out.  A 26" snow thrower shouldn't be that difficult to use if it's set up right.  
This message was modified Aug 12, 2008 by borat
nibbler

Reply #3   Aug 17, 2008 8:56 am
Given that the unit is well maintained and working properly I'm guessing that it is a bit too heavy for you. Try going to a dealer and see if a slightly smaller machine is a better fit for your physique. I've found that the big units are less agile than the smaller units. They also require more muscle at times since they are bigger and heavier.

The sweet spot for me seems to be one size down (9/24) from what I have (10/26).

If you have to use more than a couple of pulls to start the unit then there is either an operator or maintenance issue. My first suspect would be gummed up carburetor. I'm surprised the unit doesn't have an electric start.

You don't state why you have problems getting the unit up the driveway. If the engine is on then it should be a matter of steering it up.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42