Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > LT1000 problem

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
LT1000

LT1000 problem
Original Message   May 28, 2008 7:35 pm
Hello,

I have a Craftsman LT1000 rider. IT will run for about 10-15 seconds then it dies. I mowed with it for about an hour and it shut off. Now that is all it does is run for about 10-15 seconds then dies. Any ideas on what might be wrong with it?? any help is appreciated.

thanks

Seth

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Paul7

Re: LT1000 problem
Reply #1   May 31, 2008 12:04 am
There are true experts who frequent this forum that can provide much better insight than myself but I will offer the following.  Check to see if the engine has a low oil shut-off feature.  My brother was using a generator and it shut off suddenly and he couldn't keep it running.   This happened at the worse possible time (Murphys Law) so he went out and bought a new generator.  Later he learned that his old generator wasn't broke...it had a safety feature designed to protect the engine if the oil level got low...the engine shut down before damage could occur.  It's a long shot but might be worth checking. 
borat

Re: LT1000 problem
Reply #2   Jun 1, 2008 4:52 pm
Sounds like fuel starvation. 

Check rate of fuel flow from tank to carb.  Pull fuel line at the carb and drain fuel into a clear transparent container.  Watch to see that fuel is flowing freely.  If it isn't, you have a restriction in the fuel tank or fuel line.  Let the fuel settle in the container and take a good look for dirt or water in the fuel.  If it has either, drain all fuel from the tank and thoroughly wash it out.  Sounds like a crappy job and it is.  However, you got to do what you got to do.  If the fuel is clean, pull your carb and remove the fuel bowl.  Take it off nice and easy and look for contamination in there as well.  If it's dirty, a complete carb cleaning will be required.  That means removing and cleaning all jets and passages then blowing out same with compressed air.  If there is no fuel in the float bowl, that would lead me to suspect that the float valve  needle is probably stuck in the seat.  Carefully remove the float needle and clean it and the needle seat as well.   Use a very thin piece of single strand copper wire to clear small passages then blow them out was best you can. 

While you're at it, clean your air filter and change your oil if you haven't done so already.  Check your spark plug(s) and inspect their condition also.  See if they are dry or wet with fuel.  If they're dry, that will indicate a fuel starvation problem.  If they're wet then it's a flooding problem.  If wet (probably not) make sure your choke is working properly. 

Good luck. 

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42