Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Leveling Craftsman Mower Deck - tip for others

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Leveling Craftsman Mower Deck - tip for others
Original Message   Jul 28, 2006 7:13 am
I have a Craftsman LT1000 that started to mow very unevenly. I checked the side to side measurements as per the manual (was level) and went through all the other troubleshooting steps. There was no improvement. Then I decided to check the deck level at my usual mowing height. It was 1/2" lower on one side. The manual says to check the level at the deck's highest position. On my machine anyway, the deck is not suspended freely at that point and thus gives a false level measurement. I adjusted the deck at its mowing level and it works fine now.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
roscoe

Re: Leveling Craftsman Mower Deck - tip for others
Reply #1   Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm

Hey Jonathan - I have a 17.5/42 lt 2000 craftsman .I,ve had it this going on the second season . I,ve had several craftsman in this size range , and never really had any problems , other thanlack of maint. particularly were the deck was concerned . Last fall I decided to turn over a new leaf and do as the book said . It really took no time  , and I'm glad I did as the bottom of the deck needed a good coat of paint . Do this every year , believe me it's worth it . Will save the cost of a new deck about 5 yrs down the road . Also sharpened the blades . I ran in to the same problem you did , everything checked out when deck was fully raised but not at my normal cutting height  ( I use 4 ) . After thinking a few minutes on it I realized I don't much care how it cuts fully raised and Iadjusted the deck to be right at level 4 . NO PROBLEMS ! ! i ALSO STRONGLY ADVISE THE USE OF DECK WHEELS ESPECIALLY ON THE REAR . ELIMINATED ALL THE GOUGING , AND SAVES ON NEW BLADES . Happy mowing , Roscoe

borat

Re: Leveling Craftsman Mower Deck - tip for others
Reply #2   Mar 27, 2008 9:23 pm
My neighbour complained to me about his riding mower cutting unevenly.  He asked me if I knew how to level the mowing deck.  I told him to add about eight pound of air to his rear right tire. 
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42