Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > track conversions

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gradeful

track conversions
Original Message   Mar 20, 2008 9:45 pm
I am thinking of buying a track conversion kit at my local ariens dealer for my Dad's 9526dle.  I would think that the tracks would help out the old man keeping pressure off his back, due to the fact of the tracks keeping the sno thrower much more level on the ground without having to pull up on the handles so often to keep the front down

my question is anyone else have tracks? Im not really worried about the price and Ive used a friends cheaper built honda with tracks and I think they are interesting.  But what are the downfalls

any response would be appreciated, thanks.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
borat

Re: track conversions
Reply #1   Mar 20, 2008 10:23 pm
Don't do it. 

If he has trouble with moving a wheeled snow thrower, he won't be too pleased with a tracked machine.   They're good in a straight line but hard to turn and difficult in tight quarters.

Snowmann

Reply #2   Mar 21, 2008 9:50 am
borat wrote:
Don't do it. 

If he has trouble with moving a wheeled snow thrower, he won't be too pleased with a tracked machine.   They're good in a straight line but hard to turn and difficult in tight quarters.

Right, but the described problem isn't turning, it's the fact that he has to sometimes pull upward on the handlebars to get keep the front end down. A track drive will help with this.

PK

Moderator Denis

Reply #3   Mar 21, 2008 11:29 am
borat wrote:
Don't do it. 

Hehehe, I remember one time we had an old Ski-Doo snowmobile that stalled about 500 feet from the house, we started pulling back by hand by lifting the skids and roll it down we did that about 25 feet and left it there, like Borat said rubber track are strong in the snow but otherwise they dont roll.........

mech12

Reply #4   Mar 21, 2008 4:08 pm
      as far as i remember  ariens offers a weight kit for most of thier models.
borat

Reply #5   Mar 21, 2008 4:13 pm
Snowmann wrote:
Right, but the described problem isn't turning, it's the fact that he has to sometimes pull upward on the handlebars to get keep the front end down. A track drive will help with this.

PK

Maybe so, but he'd be going from one problem to another.  Possibly some weight on the front of the wheeled unit would be the answer.  If the fellow has a bad back, a tracked machine might be more of a problem than a solution. 
nibbler

Reply #6   Mar 21, 2008 9:35 pm
Here's the answer, You just drive it around. It even lifts the auger housing automatically if you put it in reverse.
nibbler

Reply #7   Mar 21, 2008 10:16 pm
Meanwhile back to reality.

It might be worth while thinking in terms of getting a smaller machine that will put less strain on the back. The only other thing other than have someone else do it would be to go the tractor route.

BTW - What reasons are there for getting a tracked unit?
  1. Traction - I've seen some comments claiming this isn't one;
  2. Auger height adjustment without tools;
  3. A suppressed desire to drive an Abrams.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42