Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Buy now (Poulan Pro PP927ESC) or buy later 2008 Ariens. HELP Please!?!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joeszuf

Buy now (Poulan Pro PP927ESC) or buy later 2008 Ariens. HELP Please!?!
Original Message   Mar 8, 2008 2:45 pm
Recently my snow blower of 15 years, Troy-Built 42012, 26", 10HP, has broken it's gear box and is not easily repairable.  Currently, I'm pondering a choice of a private sale Poulan Pro 2005 model PP927ESC used 10 hours for $700.00 or waiting until next fall for a 2008 Ariens model.  I can downgrade to a smaller machine since I've recently moved and now have a smaller driveway.  I've heard the Arien Pro series is a solid investment.  I'm looking at the Ariens model 926017.  So my question is what would sounds like a better deal, 2005 Poulan Pro or wait for the 2008 Arien Pro series?   
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
borat

Re: Buy now (Poulan Pro PP927ESC) or buy later 2008 Ariens. HELP Please!?!
Reply #1   Mar 8, 2008 4:20 pm
I'd think twice about spending big bucks on an Ariens and would certainly not buy a box store model.  Better machines can be had for less money (Simplicity & Snapper) for instance.   I did a lot of research into buying a new snow thrower last October.  Was not impressed with either Ariens or Toro.  Waaaay too much money for what you got.   Bought a Simplicity 9528 and I'm very much pleased and impressed with it.    Do a search on this site for Ariens.  Lately, while perusing this site, I've seen an unusually high  relationship between the name Ariens and the word problem.  Some claim that it's because so many Ariens are sold.  I think their quality has fallen off.   
Paul7

Re: Buy now (Poulan Pro PP927ESC) or buy later 2008 Ariens. HELP Please!?!
Reply #2   Mar 8, 2008 5:30 pm
My "must have" feature on a snowblower is a remote wheel lock/unlock lever for easy turns OR a automatic differential that serves the same purpose.  Years ago in my younger days I just muscled the machine through turns.  The aging process has made me appreciate this feature. 

The Ariens DLE models have a differential.  It is a well built machine with many satisfied owners.  Weight 282lbs. 

The Simplicity L9528E model has the remote lock/unlock lever.  The L9528E is the lowest priced simplicity that has this feature.  It it also a serious well built machine that weighs 255 lbs.

I would check and see if the 2005 Poulan PP927ESC has an EZ turn feature.  They no longer make this model but of their current offerings the 8.5hp model does not have EZ turn but their 10.5hp model does have it.  (They call it "automatic steering").

Personally I think that $700 is a lot of money to spend on a 3 year old used Poulan snowblower.  It's not an outrageous price but I do feel it's a little high. 
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42