Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > honda hr215 mower clutch probs?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
catman

honda hr215 mower clutch probs?
Original Message   Mar 5, 2008 10:45 pm
Hey, does anyone know why my mower will only start and stay running w/the blade going?  It is hard to pull the cord and won't start with out holding down the blade handle.  If I try to let go of the blade handle to empty the grass it boggs down and dies... and if I try to let go of the blade handle a little and go off and on a few times it kinda has that smelly clutch smell.  I just got the mower and am still learning about it.  It is the older (non hydrostatic) mower w/ the aluminum deck.  I only paid 170 for it. So far I really like it and the shaft driven propulsion but hope the clutch isn't messed up...maybe it's just frozen up or something.  Any suggestions out there?

Thanks,

Cat

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
catman

Re: honda hr215 mower clutch probs?
Reply #1   Mar 8, 2008 9:56 pm
Thanks for nothing...answered my own question....what do you have to be in a club to get a reply.
niper99

Reply #2   Mar 9, 2008 12:43 am
catman

maybe no one had a answer to your question or had a suggestion on what u said, just a thought, anyway l have the same mower, just wondering what was wrong with yours.
borat

Reply #3   Mar 9, 2008 11:28 am
catman wrote:
Thanks for nothing...answered my own question....what do you have to be in a club to get a reply.

Let's look at possible reasons why no one replied.

Could it be that you have a mower that most people have no familiarity with and those that are familiar with it may not have had the same problem?

Participants of this forum are very helpful when they can be.  I personally have considerable experience working with all kinds of equipment.  I've never owned a Honda lawn mower and have never had experience with the type of problem you have presented.  If we can help we will.  Remember, this is a forum.  Not the Honda service help line. 

catman

Reply #4   Mar 10, 2008 2:24 am
True, good points!  I was just checking to see if I would get a response.  It turns out my mower has a worn out BBC (brake, blade, clutch) bearing...$60 for the part OR $80 for a whole clutch unit w/bearing used though...  I decided to go w/the used clutch from the mower shop...hope it turns out to be an o.k. decision.  I could have kept on mowing as is but it will be nice to not have to restart the mower when dumping the grass each time.

Thanks for the replys,

Cat

friiy

Reply #5   May 4, 2008 10:33 am
Hey that BBC has some bige loose ball bearings in it if i remember.

Is it the loose bearings and there slots that are worn out,   or is it the 2 sealed bearings on the center of the bbc about the size of a half dollar?

Friiy

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42