Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh Engines Prone to throwing Rods

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Tecumseh Engines Prone to throwing Rods
Original Message   Jan 31, 2005 9:48 am
OK, my snowblower has a Tecumseh engine, so when I read this I thought it could be either BS, correct, or old news.

You can't go wrong with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Tecumseh engines are prone to throwing piston rods through the crankcase wall if the oil level drops at all. The Tecumseh speed control is not nearly as robust as the Briggs and Stratton either. Briggs & Stratton is now back in the snow blower engine business in a big way with overhead valve engines ranging from 6.5 through 13 horsepower. Given prices, contracts and market inertia it's anybody's guess how quickly they will regain market share. However if you shop around machines can be found with these engines.

Anyone with any knowledge care to comment?  Here's the link.
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowbuying.html

--SnowRemover
This message was modified Jan 31, 2005 by SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 38 - 39 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jimbighead

Re: Tecumseh Engines Prone to throwing Rods
Reply #38   Feb 22, 2008 2:52 pm
Recently my Husqvarna Blower went into a high rpm fit seconds after starting.  I had walked away to let it "warm up".

It threw a rod as I was running back to it to shut it down,  This took like 5 seconds.

Not the best idea this day.  It was a tecumseh snow king, 10.5 HP with only about 12 hours on it.  I take care of my stuff like a paranoid mechanic.

It was not low on oil, and had been changed about 2 1/2 run time hours before this happened.  of course it was just outside of warranty.

I just bought another blower with a briggs and stratton engine to get away from this nightmare.  In my lifetime I have never had any of my equipment throw a rod.

Now I have a $1200 boat anchor, and a shiny new Snapper.  Snowing today,  cannot wait to run the new machine.

Maybe I can fit a briggs motor on the Husky?

Jim

borat

Re: Tecumseh Engines Prone to throwing Rods
Reply #39   Feb 22, 2008 4:14 pm
I've run two Tecumseh ten horse power L head engines for a total of twenty years and never had a problem with them.  They're not the most  sophisticated engine in the world but they get the job done.  No comparison with the Briggs OHV engines.  Nowhere near as smooth and quiet.  The B&S seems to be quite a bit more powerful for the same rating as well.  

Here's an engine I've rebuilt for my Yamaha RD400.  It's only partially re-assembled.  Carbs & intake system will be taken off before I put it back in the bike.  This motor weighs around 45 to 50 lbs. and should put out around 55 h.p. when all is done.   Put this on your Husqvarna! 

Replies: 38 - 39 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42