Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Repower question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Repower question
Original Message   Jan 13, 2008 6:59 am
Hi all,

I am the not so proud owner of an old Artic 75 made by Bolens. I am a new homeowner and I bought this machine a few months ago for $50 from a friend at work. This machine is built like a tank, but the engine, a Tecumseh H70 died yesterday when I was tinkering. It has been problematic (stalling for no apparent reason, hard to start, continuous tinkering to keep it going etc etc), but now it's dead. I was letting it warm up so that I could adjust the friction wheel clutch linkage, and it piled up. There is oil in the cylinder and covering the spark plug, and it makes a dreadful scraping sound when I turn it over. I am not a mechanic, but I've heard that sound before...

I am certain that there are great examples of this engine out there, but I don't have one. What I do have is an older trash pump with a Honda GX340 on it. The motor works great, and I am thinking the obvious...

I am disassembling the pump today to install the engine on the blower. I would look into replacing the H70 with a 8-9 hp model if I didn't already own the Honda. As I said before, I am a new homeowner and it's only short time since Christmas, so money is a concern.

I am not concerned with drilling holes, fabrication and all that. What I need is to tap into the experience of this forum to tell me if it is too much engine for the blower. It seems very well made, and all greased up and ready to go. I am not hard on equipment and don't mind keeping the throttle at 3/4.

What do you think?

Thanks!

John

Contents under pressure....
Replies: 19 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
FreeltonDave

Re: Repower question
Reply #19   Feb 7, 2008 3:47 pm
Johnny: I had the same problem with my chute. The easiest way I found so far is man's best friend...Duct tape! It's shiny and slippery and is applied really fast.

I did however take the chute off, use a wire brush on a drill to buff it up, and applied a new coat of spray paint to get better adhesion. Worked like a champ.

Have you tossed the H70 yet? Mine is an H80 and the carbs may be the same. I'll find out. If you are interested in selling the carb (just in case, touch wood) let me know. I'm just down in the TO area. Mine just popped the intake valve spring retainer. Looks like I'm shovelling until a new part arrives...approx 1 month.

Dave Wilson

JohnnyBoyUpNorth

Re: Repower question
Reply #20   Feb 7, 2008 6:15 pm
FreeltonDave,

Good idea with the duct tape. I've never been too caught up in appearances, so this might fit the bill.

You want the carb, you can have it. I have been a member here a very short time, and have saved hundreds of dollars through the advice of the more experienced. You make shipping arrangements and you can have it. Seeing how you can have it for free, I'll even offer a 100% money back guarantee!

John

Contents under pressure....
Replies: 19 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42