Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 724

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cmike

Toro 724
Original Message   Jan 27, 2008 2:32 pm
So my Toro 724 seems to have a problem after all.  It's been the first snowfall since i had the problems with the slush, (where my machine was stalling out)  So i passed it off that the machine was bogging in the slush.  But today i had a nice fluffy. just about 5inches of snow and it was doing the same thing i could go for about 20ft and it stalls out.  After playing around with the choke i noticed that when i opened the choke halfway  the machine ran pretty normally, and i was able to finish the driveway.  But the second I close off that choke the machine starts to die out, and eventually stalls.

I  added some Seafoam today to my gas tank a few ounces, to help clean out some stuff as i ran it

anyone have any ideas?.

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Re: Toro 724
Reply #1   Jan 27, 2008 5:28 pm
ARE THE CARB ADJUSTMENTS CORRECT?IF NOT IT WONT RUN VERY GOOD.1 TURN ON THE SIDE OF CARB,AND1 AND 1/2 TURNS ON THE BOTTOM OF CARB,GOOD LUCK

trouts2

Reply #2   Jan 27, 2008 7:27 pm
When it's starting to stall sometimes you can keep it going by tapping the prime to save it from a starving gas situation. That should also show your gas starved.

Maybe the cab and lines are not completely clean. A number of times after I cleaned a carb I'd still have problems which on re-cleans went away. I started using a white plastic cottage cheese container to catch the gas when I drained and removed the bowl. Often I can see specks in there and surprised as I had cleaned things but obviously not so well.

A thing that helps is to disconnect the gas line from the carb and drain the tank into the white container after cleaning it to see what shows up. Tanks usually have a screen filter but often I'll get more dirt and black specks possibly comming from the gas line itself I'm not sure. Dump the container minus the dregs back into the tank and repeat it a few times until what shows up in the container is clean.

Attach the gas line to the carb and drain through the bowl nut a few times.
You could have a block in the carb that isn't freeing up. Also check the whole at the base of the nut that attaches the bowl to the carb. Clean that with a stripped wire from a garbage bag tie.

On the 724 there's enough room that after taking off the heater cover you can access the jets. You could take both out and spray in there with a can of carb cleaner.

As the prior poster said 1 and 1 1/2 turns gets the base setting. The bottom is the high speed and set under load. Make the base settings then throw some snow to load the engine. Take a screwdriver with you and tune by small adjustments.

dawei
borat

Reply #3   Jan 27, 2008 10:13 pm
Try loosening the fuel cap to see what that does.  If air cannot  enter the fuel tank, sooner or later fuel will not be able to get out.   
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Reply #4   Jan 27, 2008 11:30 pm
good one borat,i forgot about that one.it has burned me more than once.

cmike

Reply #5   Jan 28, 2008 8:54 am
looks like the gas cap is ported so it should be getting air into it.  I think i am going to have to get dirty and try and get into the carb.  How much outer shell of the motor am i going to have to remove to get at the carb?
borat

Reply #6   Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm
cmike wrote:
looks like the gas cap is ported so it should be getting air into it.  I think i am going to have to get dirty and try and get into the carb.  How much outer shell of the motor am i going to have to remove to get at the carb?

All fuel gas caps are vented.  Sometimes they get blocked and fail.  That's why I suggested trying to run it with the cap loose.  Alway tackle the easy stuff first. 
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42