Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > ARIENS SNOWBLOWER BOUGHT AT HOME DEPOT

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ej_hathcock

ARIENS SNOWBLOWER BOUGHT AT HOME DEPOT
Original Message   Jan 26, 2008 2:42 pm
ARIENS 13 hp 1336,#924506.

This snowblower has electric shute, electric key start, (has a battery about as large as a lawn tractor.)

Also has heated handles.

This snowblower was bought new from Home Depot. Paid 2499. It was outside on display.

They couldn't find the owners manual that usually comes with it when we bought it. 

We've had problems with this from day one.

The electric motor that turns the shute, was not sealed properly, filled up with water, from the melting snow, and seized the

motor. The machine would not move under it's own power. The adjustment was made so it now moves, but it will

not throw snow more than 6 inches, which clogs the shute. If I tip it back and let it go, it shakes the snow loose and the

snow starts to move.  I watch the Auger  shaft on the side of the machine. It turns very slowly at first, then picks up speed.

I don't know what kind of grease to use on the fittings. Is there more than one kind for outdoor equipment?

Is there anyone out there that has this manual.  I have tried the Ariens site, it says the manual is not available. This

is the third winter I have had this machine.  It's not that old.  I can find more on other sites, like a schematic for parts, but

not the actual manual.

I am new to mechanics. I did take the cover off. The auger belt didn't appear to be bad.  appeared like soot, from a belt rubbing.

No glazing on the belt.     I tried to adjust the adjuster both ways with no luck.  There is almost no pressure on the belt when I squeeze the handle. The other way there is no contact with the belt at all.

This explains why the snow doesn't move??

ej in NH

What can anyone tell me.

Does anyone know of a place where I can get a manual for this machine??

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
borat

Re: ARIENS SNOWBLOWER BOUGHT AT HOME DEPOT
Reply #1   Jan 26, 2008 2:57 pm
If the engine is running at a constant speed but your augers run erratically, that usually indicates a broken shear pin/bolt(s).   What happens is that there is enough friction between the auger tube and auger drive shaft to allow the auger to rotate with no load.  Once you apply a load to it, the auger shaft continues to rotate but the auger stops.  That is the best case scenario.  If, on the other hand, the shear pins are good and your belt isn't slipping, you'll be looking at a possible gear drive problem.  I doubt that will be the case though.  I looked at a slightly used 13 h.p. Ariens back in October before I bought my Simplicity.  I was impressed with the build quality of the machine.  The huge cast iron gear box looked like it should be bullet proof.  I noticed however that the engine had been worked on and I wasn't too thrilled with the electric controls.   Fortunately for me, I passed it up.  The Simplicity has been terrific.  Others have reported problems with the big Ariens.  I recall reading one thread where the author referred to it as a 13 h.p. boat anchor.  Not very complimentary.    Particularly when one considers the price of the machine. 
trouts2

Reply #2   Jan 26, 2008 5:57 pm
The Ariens site is pretty good and your manuals are available there. Well, at least the Ariens site I looked at. The link is below.

I just loaded Owners, Parts and Service manuals for 1336, 924506.

It seems you've adjusted the pensioner and the result was no or not much pressure on the belt. That could be enough to prevent the thing from tossing snow. Maybe your belt is stretched beyond usability. It could be the pulley mount bent or installed wrong so your not getting enough travel into the belt for tension. A new belt is cheap enough and the manual will guide you through removal, replacement and setup.

It seems like you've gone three years and no maintenance after a HD initial setup it would not be unusual to have a few problems. I'm not really sure what happens with HD selling the more expensive Ariens rigs. Those are probably the same as you'd get from a dealer, but the initial prep if done by HD would be suspect.

Link start

http://apache.ariens.com/cgibin/ctrg0005?SESSIONID=28702a3ad72bf4c0aa733c4cb825206b&site=arienss

Link End

The Abbys editor adds junk to all my posts. If the link does not work google ariens snowblowers and get to their main site and work through the links to get to their manual page.

If their site did not work in the past it might be because their server was jammed and too busy to complete requests. I've had it jamb on me a number of times. ??????????????? I give up on the Abbys editor.
Trouts2
This message was modified Jan 26, 2008 by trouts2
Tubby

Reply #3   Jan 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Borat, is the Ariens electric setup the same/similar to the Simplicity? I had my shute freeze up once already....

I notice that they do not feature it anymore (that I can see) on their website anymore.
This message was modified Jan 26, 2008 by Tubby
borat

Reply #4   Jan 26, 2008 8:34 pm
Tubby wrote:
Borat, is the Ariens electric setup the same/similar to the Simplicity? I had my shute freeze up once already....

I notice that they do not feature it anymore (that I can see) on their website anymore.

My Simplicity controls are both manual.  The chute direction is a rod/gear arrangement and the deflector is by cable.  No problems with either.  I have considerable disdain for unnecessary complicated mechanisms.  Simple effective controls to do simple tasks need not be electrified and over complicated.  After all,  it's turn left, turn right, push up, pull down.  Why the hell do we need an electric motor to do that?  It's  marketing gizmology to entertain our inner child at the expense of getting the job done.  B.S.  plain and simple.    The techno-nerds are infiltrating the OPE industry.  Pox on them I say!  Pox on them!!!
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #5   Jan 26, 2008 10:43 pm
I never saw a commercial Ariens sold at a HD, so that is a first.

With the ENGINE OFF I would try turning the 2 augers with my foot. If they spin easily you have broken shear pins.

The rest seems like belt adjustments. If you never had the manual you probably did not
perform a belt "break in" and an auger cable and/or idler pulley adjustment may be all that is necessary. I had the same problem with my new Ariens when I first used it. After the belt adjustment, I was throwing 40 feet and never had a problem since.

The manual should be available at the Arien's site.

I also agree that electric chutes are not necessary.
Tubby

Reply #6   Jan 26, 2008 11:28 pm
I would generally agree, simple is better, but after using the electric chute, I am hooked. I hit that rocker as I am turning around and it saves time, or at least makes me think I am. It is slick as hell. I just worry about the system. I hope simplicity has a better grip on it than (at least in this case) ariens does.
ej_hathcock

Reply #7   Jan 27, 2008 4:16 am
I must be doing something wrong. I have been to the Ariens site several times. I still

cannot get the manual.

This site was recommended by the dealer.

I have the belt on order, but I've never worked on a snowblower before and have no idea how to check for

the things that are mentioned.

To access the belts, I've seen from other threads that it sounds like an easy fix. Take top two bolts out, loosen

bottom two, which acts as a pivot.  But, if I don't have a diagram, which two bolts are they talking about?

I did repair the motor for the electric chute myself. I cleaned out the grease, took the motor apart, the

brushes are similar to the brushes on an alternater motor on a car.  Repacked it with bearing grease.

It worked fine after that.  It wasn't hard, just time-consuming,

frustration in there too, as this was during the snow-blowing season. Murphy's Law???

If anyone can get this manual can they send it to my e-mail:

ej_hathcock AT yahoo.com   (to prevent the spammers, I get too much already)

Thanks for all the input,

E_Jhathcock

trouts2

Reply #8   Jan 27, 2008 7:28 am
The Ariens site off a google search is unreachable again
but the direct link at the bottom will work.

Below are links to the manuals for your machine. You
did not mention what errors you were getting when you
tried to get a manual but the chances are that the issue
is some setting on your computer. The links below work
for browsers Opera and MS IE browsers.

Owners
http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/024941E_ENG.pdf

Parts
http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/02494000A.pdf

Service
http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/00050200.pdf

Ariens site
http://apache.ariens.com/cgibin/ctrg0005?form=Download&model=924506&serial=1336&mantype=O&mantype=P&mantype=S&language=ENG&sessionid=28702A3AD72BF4C0AA733C4CB825206B&site=ARIENSS

kedawei
nibbler

Web Site Dumbness
Reply #9   Jan 27, 2008 11:57 am
<rant>
Finding the manual  should be an easy, brain dead simple sort of thing, its not.

I just had a look at the Ariens web site and it looks like the web designers were forced to listen to the sales types in the design and layout of the site, its now really hard to find stuff you want. but does look nice for the first 30 seconds.

On the old site when you looked at the current offerings there were links to the manuals, it may not have been the exact manual but it was close enough for most questions. Now you have to navigate around in the service area and type in a model and serial number. If you don't have either you are out of luck for even trying to find it - Serious user interface stupidity, especially the serial number requirement. If I'm trying to help someone I may not have the exact model number much less the serial number. To add insult to injury its not required, its just "nice" to have. Obvious, alternate methods of access to the manuals would make things a bunch easier.

Ariens web site people, if you want help my rates are reasonable. I will work for snow throwers
</rant>

When snow is not coming out of the chute the things to check, after you turn off the engine and disconnect the spark plug,are:
  1. Use a stick to push the augers and see if they rotate, if they do then one or more shear pins need to be replaced;
  2. Take the pulley cover off and check the belt tension.
    1. The traction system should have no slippage, the clutch is further on down the gear train to the wheels.
    2. The auger/impeller system normally has an idler wheel that controls the tension of the belt such that it slips when the control is not engaged and doesn't slip when the control is engaged. The position can be adjusted to achieve this unless the belt is worn out. If you can't get it to engage with the wheel pushing the belt in as far as possible then it is time to get a new belt. When you put the new belt on adjust the tension, run the auger with no load for 5-10 minutes and then adjust the tension again.
  3. If the belts are OK try turning the impeller with the auger control engaged, if it will still turn then you will probably need to take it in to a servicing dealer. This is very unlikely
I tend to lean away from the motorized chute idea since it looks like something that might break and be hard to fix. What it does is rather simple. At the same time if it works reliably in icey conditions I can see how being able to easily switch the chute at the end of a run would very nice. The big thing is reliable, long lasting, easy to maintain if its not all three then I'm not interested.
dt63944

Reply #10   Jan 29, 2008 12:00 am
Check http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/024941E_ENG.pdf ; I have the exact same model as you with the exact same problem. I have a 5-year older 1336 that doesn't exhibit these problems. Ariens has changed something. I would suggest following the auger belt adjustment as described in the manual, particularly the part about removing slack in the auger cable.If that cable is taught, it has the effect of putting greater tension on the auger belt, assuming the auger idler pulley is properly adjusted. That belt gets it's "traction" from the sides and what you're seeing is the rubber wearing off the sides. Maybe it's the belt quality that has slipped, or maybe the belt/pulley assembly is undersized for the amount of snow being pulled into a 36" unit, in any case I suggest doing what I am going to do, go the the customer service section of their website and ask a technical question, they claim to be committed to helping.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42