Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow thrower belt adjustment

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tmac

Snow thrower belt adjustment
Original Message   Jan 26, 2008 10:28 am
After using my two stage snow thrower for about an hour to remove some wet snow I let the machine, which had performed very well, idle before shut-down and storage. While the machine was  idling I heard a loud noise (similar to that made when an auto's automatic transmission needs attention).  I removed the belt cover and ran the machine but could not see any obvious alignment problem. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what the problem might be? The machine is new and  has been used for about 12 hours.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
borat

Re: Snow thrower belt adjustment
Reply #1   Jan 26, 2008 11:13 am
Being that I've never heard an automatic transmission failure noise, I need a little more info regarding the sound the machine made.  Was it a screech or a bang or something else?   I have heard snow throwers make a screeching noise.  Usually it's a belt/pulley generated sound.  I've also heard screeching noise from the engine.  It is occasionally followed with a bang but usually the pitch of the screech increases until the engine stops.  That would indicate a seized engine.  Did you try to engage the auger drive or wheel drive while the screeching was occurring?  Sometimes it's just a hot belt rubbing on a pulley.  You might need to look at your auger drive pulley adjustment. 
tmac

Reply #2   Jan 26, 2008 3:04 pm
Borat,

Thanks for your reply and diagnosis. I think that a better desciption of the sound would be that of a power steering unit that requires adjustment, i.e., a screeching sound. I did engage the auger and the drive. The sound decreased and ended. I do believe that it is one of the belts and will have the machine inspected when winter is over. At this point I cannot be without it for a week and it is otherwise working fine.

Snowmann

Reply #3   Jan 26, 2008 3:45 pm
tmac wrote:
Borat,

Thanks for your reply and diagnosis. I think that a better desciption of the sound would be that of a power steering unit that requires adjustment, i.e., a screeching sound. I did engage the auger and the drive. The sound decreased and ended. I do believe that it is one of the belts and will have the machine inspected when winter is over. At this point I cannot be without it for a week and it is otherwise working fine.

Sounds like the belt is creeping when declutched. Check the belt finger adjustment.

PK

nibbler

Reply #4   Jan 27, 2008 12:03 pm
Sounds like a belt tension problem. Try engaging one control at a time. When the sound goes away you will know which belt is having a problem. ITs hopefully the auger belt since the traction system isn't supposed to slip at all while the auger does allow a certain amount of adjustment.

If the auger system turns with while the engine is idling and the control is disengaged then the belt tension is too high, the idler wheel is quite loose enough and the belt is partially engaging the pulleys.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42