Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What type of oil?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cmike

What type of oil?
Original Message   Jan 23, 2008 11:40 am
I am operating a toro 724 snowthrower and i don't have the manual.  This machine is a 4cycle so no mixing oil and fuel.  Anyone know what type of oil i need?  i would like to totally drain off the old oil and start fresh maybe with a little sea foam since i grabbed some of that. 

So anyway what type of oil in a toro 724 snowthrower?

thanks

Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
cmike

Re: What type of oil?
Reply #5   Jan 23, 2008 1:59 pm
Yes Borat!  Definately a used machine!  It is a 1981 so definately past the break in period!  I will most definately grab some synth 5w-30 oil for her immediately!  Can i add sea foam to the synth oil as well?

By the way borat good link you added, put that right in my favorites, Thank You!

mike

Gelid

Reply #6   Jan 23, 2008 6:52 pm
5W30 is the universal recommendation for snowblowers unless you happen to be living in Antarctica, the extreme northern reaches of Canada, Alaska, Siberia and Greenland, or near my first wife.

Use synthetic if you change oil once a year (domestic use) or regular if you change oil once a month (commercial use).
This message was modified Jan 23, 2008 by Gelid

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
borat

Reply #7   Jan 23, 2008 7:02 pm
cmike wrote:
Yes Borat!  Definately a used machine!  It is a 1981 so definately past the break in period!  I will most definately grab some synth 5w-30 oil for her immediately!  Can i add sea foam to the synth oil as well?

By the way borat good link you added, put that right in my favorites, Thank You!

mike

If you're going to add Seafoam to your oil, put an ounce  in your old oil and run the machine (preferably under load)  for an hour or so then drain the old oil.  Seafoam is a cleaning agent.  It's not meant to be added to fresh oil.  Put a couple ounces in a full tank of fuel once a year.  That will help clean out the carburetor and carbon from the engine.  At the end of the season,  drain your fuel tank,  and run all of the fuel out of the carb.  That will ensure easy start up the following season.  Never leave old fuel in the tank or the carb during periods of storage.  I don't like to leave even stabilized fuel in machines during the warm months.   
This message was modified Jan 23, 2008 by borat
Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42