Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower Help - Which type for a steep driveway?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
pbajaj

Snowblower Help - Which type for a steep driveway?
Original Message   Jan 19, 2008 10:12 am
I live close to Boston, MA. We get abt 40" of snow annually with an avg. snowfall of 5-6" with some more than 8". I live in a town house & dont have a lot of space - 1 car wide, and 2 cars long. But the problem is our garage is below the house and we have a sloping driveway up to the street. The driveway is pretty steep and if not cleared properly, my car just skids and cannot get out.

I have been doing a lot of research and can't decide between a gas powered one-stage, like the Honda HS520 or a gas powered two-stage, like a small Ariens: 624E or even the 824E.

My questions:

1) Is the two stage an over kill for a small snowfall of 1 to 2 inches? What do you do with a big machine in a small snowfall?
2) Two stage is much bulkier/heavier than the one stage, which will be easier to control getting up the fairly steep driveway?
3) I need to clear down to the asphalt which type will be better?
4) I don't mind spending the money once and having this with me for the next 20 yrs.

Thanks in advance
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
borat

Re: Snowblower Help - Which type for a steep driveway?
Reply #1   Jan 19, 2008 10:38 am
For a driveway that size, a shovel would do in most cases unless you're disabled in some way or have a health issue.   If you must use a snow thrower, a compact single stage should be sufficient.    Not too sure how a single stage will work on a steep uphill grade.  Might need to push it up the grade for your first pass and do the rest of the job going down hill.  You won't need anything too expensive considering the minimal amount of area and limited snow fall accumulations.   A middle of the pack machine will probably last you a lifetime. 
elbrecht

Re: Snowblower Help - Which type for a steep driveway?
Reply #2   Jan 19, 2008 10:48 am
pbajaj wrote:
I live close to Boston, MA. We get abt 40" of snow annually with an avg. snowfall of 5-6" with some more than 8". I live in a town house & dont have a lot of space - 1 car wide, and 2 cars long.

Personally, I think you have a good situation for a good electric single stage.   I like my Toro 1800 Power Curve. [#38025]

You'll be storing it in your basement, in effect, and this eliminates the worries of gas cans and gas tanks in your house.    Make sure you have a GFCI outlet handy- buy a decent cord, a spare auger, blade and skids, and you're good to go for a few years.  when you're done using it- dry it off- give it a shot of WD40 and hang it up on a hook in the garage. a year later- just take it down and go.  [the spare auger, blades and skids are because the auger & blade are plastic-- I've managed to break each by being stupid.   Dealers don't stock parts for these things, so I order from Jack's online, keep a kit ready, - and get back in business in 20 minutes.]

If you insist on gas, a single stage would still be your best bet.   They clean closer to the pavement, and for up to 5-6inches snow they can be faster than a 2 stage.   Also for wet snow, in my experience a single stage tosses it further than a 2 stage.    

I did my 2 car wide, 6 car long, steep driveway with 2 large turn-arounds for 3 years with my 1800.  Near Albany, NY- about 100 inches of snow a year.  Last winter was worse than most & we had three 20+ inch snowfalls so I bought an old 2 stage Bolens to play with this year.    Still- 1" is shovel work- 2-4 is toro electric- and over 4 I get the bolens out.  [ we have mostly drier snow than you'd get]

Jim

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42