Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Track Drive SnowThrower - Ariens 1332DLET or Honda HS1132TAS?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
guyw

Track Drive SnowThrower - Ariens 1332DLET or Honda HS1132TAS?
Original Message   Jan 1, 2008 9:38 pm
Hi,

I live in Michigan, and I have a very steep curved driveway. It is cement at the top and asphalt about 225 feet long with about 15 degrees of pitch. 

I went  to my local Ariens dealer to buy the Ariens 1332DLET Track Drive Thrower, since that model is brand new he didn't feel comfortable recommending one. He did say that he didn't like the Honda Track drive. Although the Honda dealer in my area claims all of their customers love the Honda. My local Ariens/Toro dealer recommended a Toro Commander single stage, with the idea that a rubber blade would contact the pavement better and reduce the ice problem. I did that, however we had a couple decent snow falls and it took around 4 hours to clear my drive today. The dealer sells both Toro and Ariens, and said he would work a deal with me to take the Toro back if I didn't like it. I

What I'm trying to decide is if I want to go with a Honda or Ariens track drive. Has anybody looked or operated both of these? Anybody with experience on the Ariens? Easiest thing for me to do would be to get the Ariens, but I think the Honda may be a better way to go.

Thanks all in advance.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
guyw

Re: Track Drive SnowThrower - Ariens 1332DLET or Honda HS1132TAS?
Reply #5   Jan 2, 2008 8:47 pm
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I know the wheeled models handle much better from I've heard. If fact I was very tempted to pick up the top of the Simplicity Pro machine from a local dealer that had one returned from a customer that moved south. Awesome machine, but I already fell down a couple times already this year just trying to walk up and down with a salt spreader, I'd hate to think what could happen if  250 - 300 pounds machine was dragging me down with it. The track model is probably worth the premium for me. Today we only had a quarter of an inch snowfall, I used the Toro Commander, and with the light snow it only took a half hour to clear the drive, much better then the four hours it took with the foot of snow the other day. Most likely I'll keep the Commander for the light snowfalls, but I'm still torn on which machine I should get the Honda or the Ariens. I haven't heard any feedback from anybody that has tried the new Ariens. Some people hate the Honda and others love it.  
This message was modified Jan 2, 2008 by guyw
Gelid

Reply #6   Jan 5, 2008 1:16 am
guyw wrote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I know the wheeled models handle much better from I've heard. If fact I was very tempted to pick up the top of the Simplicity Pro machine from a local dealer that had one returned from a customer that moved south. Awesome machine, but I already fell down a couple times already this year just trying to walk up and down with a salt spreader, I'd hate to think what could happen if  250 - 300 pounds machine was dragging me down with it. The track model is probably worth the premium for me. Today we only had a quarter of an inch snowfall, I used the Toro Commander, and with the light snow it only took a half hour to clear the drive, much better then the four hours it took with the foot of snow the other day. Most likely I'll keep the Commander for the light snowfalls, but I'm still torn on which machine I should get the Honda or the Ariens. I haven't heard any feedback from anybody that has tried the new Ariens. Some people hate the Honda and others love it.  

You brought out the light artillery for a quarter of an inch of snow?

With tracked snowblowers brand is not as important as suitability to your local conditions. If you live in an area with frequent melts and your tracks have access to bare pavement through the snow rather than built up ice or packed snow you will prefer the Ariens because it has traction control (a primitive differential)  which makes turning the machine easier. This doesn't work well on ice and packed snow though, so in those conditions you'll lock the differential and the Ariens will handle like a Honda, which is survivable, and you simply return to traction control mode when conditions improve. In these conditions the Ariens is the most appropriate choice for a tracked machine. However if you live in area with severe winters and have to deal with substantial amounts of snow on top of ice and packed snow you will want to have Honda's hydrostatic drive feature which is designed for such challenging conditions. This is done at the cost of ease of handling in turns but it's definitely worth it.

Honda HS928 TCD - If you lived where I live you'd have one too
blunt

Reply #7   Jan 6, 2008 5:26 pm
my honda 1132 tracked turns a lot easier than my 12 hp. 33" cut wheeled yardman. But it doesnt have the turning clutches on it
This message was modified Jan 6, 2008 by blunt
Gelid

Reply #8   Jan 6, 2008 5:58 pm
blunt wrote:
my honda 1132 tracked turns a lot easier than my 12 hp. 33" cut wheeled yardman.

I have no problem handling my Honda either but some people need/want machines that require less physical effort even if it means less efficient blowers. More time, but less effort.

Philscbx

Reply #9   Jan 7, 2008 10:36 am
There are many who use snow blowers, but until you actually try a tracked Honda in a driveway that has been driven over many times before plowed, and or plowed, but now too narrow and frozen 2 or more feet of heavy crusted banks in the way. Then you haven't really done the true test yet.

Any machine can blow fresh fluff 2 feet thick all day with no effort.
But as soon as that 2 wheeled machine makes contact to frozen packed snow, the front auger will try to climb up the bank and the wheels dig in and sink forcing the handle bars to the ground with you trying to keep it up or recover from a broken back.
Not to mention the noise from the machines compared to a Honda.

A decibel meter should be used on all machines, and then pick the one that does not damage your last bit of ear drums.
There's no way you can destroy a Hydrostatic drive. There is no maintenance of belts, pulleys, or the typical junk that breaks.
Track drive is nothing more than 2 cogged wheels rapped in a track. Too simple.
It's what drives the track inside that makes the difference.
All Bobcats, and every earth moving machine uses Hydrostatic drive. It's fool proof and solid. And very powerful. Therefore you don't need more horse power.

I plow snow for a living for 30 years, and the first time I tried a Honda Tracked machine was early 1980's.
I said I have to give it a try, and aimed it into the worst frozen crap I could find, and it never even cared.
It took and chewed up solid ice pack 2 feet thick like nothing.
That's why they have the ice chewing teeth on the auger.
The tracks keep the machine level regardless what you aim it at.
You can drive it with one hand and eat a sandwich with the other.
I just used my neighbors MTD from Walmart. To help them out.
OH sure, it did the job on the fresh of snow, but when it hit the frozen pack the city pushed in at the end of the driveway, it wanted nothing to do with it.
I then had to spend 4 times longer dealing with it compared to if I had the Honda.
My back said never again.
If I hadn't pretreated all surfaces with silicone prior to taking it out, it would even been worse.
Sprayed inside the chute and all moving parts.
Then an air hose to blow it clean when done. The snow flies with less effort as well.
That's why you see machines look like junk after a couple seasons. Running then into the road salt, then put them away to melt.

The extra cost of the Honda is nothing compared to the $30,000 you need for therapy when done.
I almost made a video watching a guy do his sidewalk after it was walked on all day, and he was fighting it the whole way with a 2 wheeled machine with the handle bars diving into the ground.
The wheels dig in and sink, and the auger climb up.

If you ask me, it simply looks retarded and barbaric.
There's a used Honda track drive for sale right now for $1300, and if it's still there, it's mine.
Like one Gent mentioned, there's more to it.
Moving it around in the garage, well take a look at what people use to move snowmobiles around in the shop.
They are a tracked machine and need castered adaptors slipped under them as well. Not rocket science here.

The reason Hydrostatic drive machines don't move freely with engine off, is the same for all machines that use it. Safety for one. It cannot freewheel unless it has a freewheel option lever. You cannot force a Hydrostatic drive to roll with no power.
This message was modified Jan 7, 2008 by Philscbx
Philscbx

Reply #10   Jan 7, 2008 12:01 pm
I just checked the manual on the Honda track drive, and yes it does have freewheel mode lever.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/own/31767700.PDF

I wasn't sure actually, but having the facts straight in ones face clears up misconceptions.
Gelid

Reply #11   Jan 7, 2008 12:10 pm
Well Phil, you just described the reason why I have owned Hondas for the last quarter century, I live in northern Maine and that's what I need. However one must take into account that there are areas that get snow but where winters are much milder and in those places it's hard to justify spending up to 3K on a Honda when a reasonable quality wheeled machine will do the job and require less effort in light to moderate duty conditions.

With regards to moving tracked machines with engine off  one can always disengage the transmission on a Honda or tracked Ariens which makes it somewhat "freewheeled" but like you say the best solution is to use some sort of wheeled platform that looks like an over-sized mechanics dolly. Easy to DIY for those who are so inclined, I made one using a sturdy fiberglass tabletop and dolly casters.

blunt

Reply #12   Jan 7, 2008 6:20 pm
The honda 1132 tracked requires retrofit part #06196-ze3-305 to keep it from sucking powdered snow into the carb and stalling. You will have to ask for this part as honda does not allow the dealer to offer it unless requested by customer and it is covered under warrenty.
Gelid

Reply #13   Jan 7, 2008 8:47 pm
Philscbx wrote:
I just checked the manual on the Honda track drive, and yes it does have freewheel mode lever.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/own/31767700.PDF

I wasn't sure actually, but having the facts straight in ones face clears up misconceptions.

Yeah it does but the machines are heavy and don't move easily even on flat concrete, if you have to move it it's best done with two people one pushing one pulling.

borat

Reply #14   Jan 7, 2008 11:23 pm
Gelid wrote:
Well Phil, you just described the reason why I have owned Hondas for the last quarter century, I live in northern Maine and that's what I need. However one must take into account that there are areas that get snow but where winters are much milder and in those places it's hard to justify spending up to 3K on a Honda when a reasonable quality wheeled machine will do the job and require less effort in light to moderate duty conditions.

With regards to moving tracked machines with engine off  one can always disengage the transmission on a Honda or tracked Ariens which makes it somewhat "freewheeled" but like you say the best solution is to use some sort of wheeled platform that looks like an over-sized mechanics dolly. Easy to DIY for those who are so inclined, I made one using a sturdy fiberglass tabletop and dolly casters.

Wow!!!  Makes me wonder how non-Honda owners in northern locations have managed to survive this long without one?    Might have something to do with using ones head vs. compensating with an over-achieving machine.  I find if I don't pack down my driveway before I clear the snow, things go pretty good with my wheeled machines.  Been doing it for over twenty years on a 110' driveway with a 10% grade in a piece of Canada where over ten feet of snow  during the season is not uncommon.    Never left the vehicles on the road yet.  I guess you never know though.  That "I should have had a Honda" day might only be fifty years away..... But then again, if I get goofy and start packing the snow on my driveway....

Replies: 5 - 14 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42