Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS521 Snow Thrower Pull Start doesn't turn over engine

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
IMDKY

Honda HS521 Snow Thrower Pull Start doesn't turn over engine
Original Message   Jan 1, 2008 7:50 pm
I have a Honda HS521 snow thrower and the pull start doesn't turn over the engine anymore.   I'm curious if there's an exploded view of the snow thrower available somewhere because I'm trying to figure out what kind of part I may need.  It just all of a sudden has no resistance anymore.
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
IMDKY

Re: Honda HS521 Snow Thrower Pull Start doesn't turn over engine
Reply #2   Jan 1, 2008 8:21 pm
Is there any kind of a walkthrough that tells you how to pull of the recoil?  I currently have the snow thrower in my garage and I'll leave it in there overnight to see if the melting of snow and ice makes a difference, if not then I'm curious if I can get my hands on a diagram of the recoil....
borat

Reply #3   Jan 1, 2008 11:14 pm
The recoil system on most small engines are relatively simple devices.  However, for the uninitiated, they might be difficult to figure out.  You should be able to find info by doing a search for "Honda recoil mechanism diagram or parts".   Recoil systems are usually held on with three or more screws onto the engine housing.   Be watchful of how the assembly fits onto the engine and keep your eyes peeled for possible loose or broken parts falling out.  After disassembly and inspection spray the spring and internal parts with WD40, make sure everything is free to move as designed then reinstall.
cherrybomb

Reply #4   Mar 12, 2008 2:18 pm
Does anyone know when the last year Honda made the HS521was????
This message was modified Mar 12, 2008 by cherrybomb
trouts2

Reply #5   Mar 12, 2008 3:31 pm
That's a single stage and if it's anything like a Toro pulling the recoil is a task. On a Toro the back bolts are very difficult to get to. The engine mounting is probably the same as on a Toro. The top cover and dash have to be removed to get inside. Then the gas tank removed to get room to get at the recoil. It's all straight forward but the work area is small and some bolts tough to get at.
dawei
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42